Is it slutty to workout in shorts and a sports bra only?

Today during my workout an older lady commented on my outfit, she said "I bet your mother is real proud of you when you wear that huh? (I was wearing a sports bra and shorts) I told her "excuse me?" Then she said "you don't have to dress so slutty when you workout." At this point I wanted to knock her ass out! I don't think I was dressed slutty, I have worked very hard for my body and I'm not ashamed to show it off! She got to my head tho and I actually put on my hoodie but worst of all she totally killed my vibe for my workout!

• Yes that's slutty
  • No that's not slutty

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it is because of the context. It's working out. It's like if you wear a bikini. At the beach it isn't "slutty" by any means, but if you wore that to work, it would be pretty inappropriate.

For working out, I don't see shorts and a sports bra as bad. I mean, then I'd have to be also saying that a dude wearing shorts (short or not short) and no shirt would be bad too... Which would make no sense to me. People race like that. It's working out. It is informal and generates lots of sweat.

People are going to think what people are going to think, but as far as I'm concerned, you were dressed fine. I wouldn't let one person get to your head. Some people are just sensitive.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 49

• Slutty is when you try to seduce other man.. Or maybe women... Dressing anyway you want does not makes you Slutty... Next time you see that women tell her, you aren't insecure about you body and worked hard to achieve it and are no scared to show it off... Although you are not seducing anyone...

Yeah!.. You look pretty Georgous with bold looks, that girl was just jealous

• I don't think catfishes would look hot in that

• Only you know your real intentions. If your purpose is to be more agile during your workout with minimal fabric then of course its ok. But if you're wearing it to attract attention and look sexy then its not sports related and I wouldn't think its necessary.

• The thing with older people is they often have not got use to the clothes women wear these days. That was very rude of her, it is up to you what you wear and no one else. Maybe she was jealous because she does not have a body like you? Some women get bitter about younger women's bodies when they get older. I think she is jealous because she is no longer young and does not have the body you do.

• The gym is the one place you have every right to be conceded if that is what you want. Your advancement of your body's considerable progress OR your want to showcase while you workout (if that is the case) is NOT subject to scrutiny by some prude.
    These people's criticisms of such a nature are just their deepest insecurities manifest. They are frustrated at the time it will take them to achieve what you have, and are depressed at the prospect of having to put forth said effort.
    I know this sounds like a total White Knight pep talk or that I'm saying this because I'm a guy who would NEVER under-appreciate a good female body in a short set, but the truth is the truth in this instance.
    I can't stand women who show up at the gym in make-up and/or jewelry. They are indicative to people who waste time sitting on machines and taking up space in one area or another.
    If these types (I'm rambling, I know) ask for help, I just tell them to do it like they see it on TV. I'm not wasting my time explaining something to someone that a 3rd grader could figure out on their own.

• This lady had really no right to say that to you.. but everyone is entitled to have an opinion on everything.. but she should have in this case kept that comment to herself.. I see nothing wrong with it and to me a women looks beautiful in what ever she wants to wear.

The only thing that I would have done if you say had been there the same time I was.. and dressed in what you had on.. would be to just smile and maybe hope my smile was noticed by you and a smile or some form of conversation maybe was returned.. but I would not at all expect anything by me doing this.. I will settle for the sweet smile you just put on my face

• Isn't that what that clothing is made for?
    And why the fuck does she think she had any right to just walk up to someone else in a gym and judge them for what they're wearing?

• Earning the title of 'slutty' requires much more than putting on some clothes. It's like saying "I'm holding a sword therefore I'm a ninja." No, it doesn't work like that..

• Its open to personal interpretation, different people have different opinions about what qualifies as slutty and what doesn't. Generally tho, its somewhat relative to what most of the girls around you are wearing.

• No, its not slutty. But don't be surprised if you find a lot of guys eyeballing you, especially if you have a figure.

• No, not really but then many people may look at you, especially if you are attractive.

• It is not slutty at all. I even hate the word so I would never dream of using it even in this context.

You should be proud of the work you put into your body. And I understand why she ruined your "Day" today.

• No but don't complain if people gawk at ya that all as the way your dressed will obviously draw attention to yourself.

• No, that's actually very decent and I support that type of modest outfits ;)

• Fuck her, who is she? some old lady you dont even know her name, you were fine and happy until she spoke. Did you feel like you were in the wrong before she said anything? Your choice is your choice to do anything you want. she's probably mad because you looked good ;)

• A little, but slutty isn't a bad thing. I don't know why people take slutty as a derogatory term, dress how you want and fuck who you want, doesn't effect anyone else

• I thought that what all girls wear to the gym? Never listen to any old person. They know nothing about today's world.

• Yeeaaahhhhh. :/

• Does your gym have a policy that forbids it? If not, ignore her.

• I don't think so... my daughter does it all the time.

• Not slutty. But improper if you are choosing fotm over function

• In cultures where it is normal to show legs and tummy, I don't think it's "slutty". At most, it's a little daring than others.

• No, it's not, just go for it

• Yeah i think its a bit slutty because there is no need to work out semi naked... there is all the show of girl and guys like to do on the gym and would be great if all of them could have their own gym and dont bored me

• U know she's got a point I mean unless u see people like stripping down to their undies

• I find it sexy, not slutty... what was she wearing?

• What? Feeling comfortable while you work out isn't slutty. Wearing something provocative and also acting provocative can be slutty.

• No that's an appropriate outfit to workout in. It's probably just that she's old and in her day women didn't show off their body.

• She's an old hag whose opinion is irrelevant.

• to them anything which shows a middrift is slutty

• More from Guys
    19

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 24

• unless you're somewhere with a dresscode (apparently my gym had some rule about not being allowed to show your stomach - i only know because a personal trainer came and told me once when i was running and tucked my baggy shirt under my bra because it was bugging me) you can wear whatever you want. guys run without shirts all the time, why can't a girl wear just a sports bra?

• Lol nah it's not. I usually stick to a tank top and fitted workout leggings myself but if it's really hot then y not?

Like i get it if it's a weather thing, but u can tell when girls are just there to look pretty lol. Hair and makeup all did too.😂

• I usually wear a big t shirt with the arms cut out over. So not in "just" a sports bra, but you can easily see it. I think there's absolutely ZERO about that that is inappropriate.

This is the cover of Sports Illustrated for fuck's sake.

cdn-jpg.si.com/.../brandi-chastain.jpg

• No. I wish I could do that now. Once I'm confident enough in my stomach more, I will! hopefully Ill reach that point!! lol

• Nah, I wear the same thing.

• No, I don't think it's slutty at all. It's not like you are grocery shopping in shorts and a sports bra. You are working out. That is what sports bras were made for.

• No not slutty. She is just stuck in the 1920's. I bet she wouldn't have said that too a dude tho. Just ignore her. And next time if you see her piss her off more by wearing it again! :)

• She is probably just jealous she isn't going and able to pull that off. If you do not think your outfit was bad then fine. If you do think it was then it probably was. Keep doing you.

• Fuck no! It's hot! I grew up on a farm and all Summer long the guys got to take their shirts off to work in the sweltering heat and I had to keep my shirt on unless I wanted to be called a slut, its a ridiculous double standard. Wear whatever the hell you're most comfortable in!

• That's standard workout gear. She should mind her own damn business next time.

• That's exactly what I wear to the gym and I'm a bit older than you. It's practical and I don't perspire which is a plus.

• Not at all, the woman was just being really rude.

• Well, you weren't naked or in your bra and underwear so I wouldn't call it slutty. I see sports bra and shorts all the time. She's living in the 60s

• It might be to some, but you have to decide whether you want to look "slutty" or be sweaty and unhygienic soo...

• That is what you are supposed to work out in, and its not slutty at all.

• You've worked hard and you deserve to show people what hard work and determination can do! Don't worry about her :)

• That's what I wear to the gym

• I would have bitch smacked her right there

• not at all

• no thats is not slutty

• No it's just practical

• Are you implying that people who don't work out or work 'hard' shouldn't show off their bodies?

But no, not slutty at all.

• It's not slutty I just think it's more of attention seeking there's a time and place for it like the beach or something cause when your working out your bending over stretching blah blah blah it just looks or can look somewhat sexual to people and attention seeking

1 private opinion(s)