Bratz vs. Barbie vs. Licca-Chan

I thought about how I used to play with Barbies when I was a little girl, and how when I turned about 9 or 10, I was crazy for Bratz dolls. Now that I'm older though, I think back and look at the dolls, and I realize how Bratz dolls look like little tramps. The way they are dressed are so provocative, and their lips look like they have had collagen injections, and not to mention the heavy makeup. Barbie, was a lot more tame and classy in looks, but of course, people complain about her unrealistic body proportions. Just recently, I found out about the Licca-Chan dolls. Licca-Chan has such a sweet look to her, not provocative in any way, and just looks cute.

By the way, here's what Licca-Chan dolls look like, if you don't know about her:

link

link

link

I personally think that if I had a little girl, I would much rather order her Licca-Chan dolls over Bratz and Barbies, if those were the only three choices, because Licca-Chan seems much more clean in appearance and more appropriate for young girls. I think the image that the Bratz dolls project sends out a not-so-great message to little girls (I remember when I was little, I wanted to emulate their style at one point), and Barbies kind of have a possibility of young girls growing up having body issues because they don't have a figure like her's, so I've read. I can kind of see that happening, in a way, but it isn't a for sure thing. Anyways, what are your opinions about these dolls for young girls?

Most Helpful Girl

• Have you seen Barbie dolls recently? They look like hookers. I'm not talking about their bodies, it's their outfits, and even the way some of them are posed gives off a "come hither" vibe. Great for kids.

Some Barbie dolls aren't too bad, so I would get them for a little girl, but I would be careful about which ones I chose. And I would never get a Bratz doll. The name alone is enough to turn me away. I don't think either one of them is too popular anymore though. My niece and her friends like some other doll that I've never heard of before (not Licca-Chan, but I agree that it seems more appropriate). Regardless, I would never buy a doll for a young girl without putting some thought into it first. I didn't really like dolls when I was younger though, so I think I'm naturally wary of them.

• No, I haven't seen any of the newer Barbies, actually. I only remember the ones I used to have, most of them being ones wearing elegant looking ball gowns. I had no idea that Barbies looked like that now. O_O; And I agree, I would never buy a doll for a young girl without thinking about it, either. I have plenty of younger cousins in elementary school, and when Christmas or birthdays roll around, I make sure it's appropriate and not suggestive.

What Guys Said 2

• I totally agree. You see little girls in mountain villagesin Mexico playing with Barbies...I think it's a lot healthier toidentify with Licca-Chan. Like most things in Japanese culture are healthier.

• Agreed. provocative things like bratz dolls won't be popular in japan because huge lips and tons of makeup aren't really the standard there. it's just a different culture.

• Thanks Moyasu. I get beat up often for saying this

• Bratz dolls are refered to as slut dolls, but studies found that kids could identify with them more than barbie. Barbie was seen as more grown up by kids. Licca Chan are the more girl next door look toned down etc. Their are three types of girls, the kind you do it with, the kind you think about while you are doing with the kinda girl that you do it with and then their is the girl you marry. Funny how they don't make a blow up barbie I'm sure that would be popular...

What Girls Said 1

• I Love My Barbie Dolls !