How do I convince my Muslim parent to let me wear shorts?

My parents are super religious and they don't let me wear shorts they don't even let me wear tights ugh I feel so stupid cuz when I hang out with my friends I look like a grandma.

I went to the beach yesterday and it was 100 degrees out and I almost died in jeans/long sleeves/jacket/hijab...

Most Helpful Guy

• i recommend theological discussion.

can you read the Quran?
    i cannot, and so can't give any properly informed advice, but here's what i quick search gave me.
    www.quran-islam.org/.../...dress_code_(P1150).html

but i recommend using the internet to find reference in the texts to discuss with them rather than just saying "but the internet says.."

good luck :-)

• I can't believe you exist man :D
      Someone talking objectively about Islam

• hm, yeah i get your point.

• still i try not to fall in the mistake that women who are not wearing hijab are bad
      i dont rely on my own judgement, i may be wrong, she may be better than me

Most Helpful Girl

• Disclaimer: I am not Muslim.

This is probably a long shot, but you could at least give it a try:
    Here are 2 passages from hadith that you could use to at least start the discussion.

1)
    www.virtualmosque.com/.../

"The deen [religious practice] is ease. Whoever makes the deen too hard for himself [or herself] will be overpowered, so direct yourselves to what is right, follow a middle course."

If there's anything in the world that *IS* "too hard for yourself" at yr age, girl... it's doing things that make you feel weird in front of yr friends, or that alienate you from yr friends.
    I'm sure that is happening here, so, this hadith passage *may* give them something to think on.

It may even give YOU something to think on -- as far as whether you can comfortably pledge yr lifetime faith to the whole belief system in general. If you can give yourself some room to maneuver on things like dress codes, in ways you can square with yr faith, it will be a lot easier for you to maintain that faith.

2)
    sunnahonline.com/.../217-hadith-of-intention-the

"Actions are by intentions, and for every person is what he [or she] intended."

What's the intention behind the shorts?
    Obviously, the intention isn't to stick up a big middle finger to the whole idea of halal clothing in general. The intention is something else entirely -- to let you be comfortable in the middle of the summer, and to allow you to bond more closely with yr friends (which absolutely *is* a thing that's affected by the clothes you wear).

If nothing else, yr parents should at least be awfully impressed that you would actually cite hadith and make a serious argument, rather than just throwing a tantrum.

__

Also -- and perhaps MOST importantly --

If you live in the USA, you can also point out -- with total honesty -- all the terrorism that has been happening lately, and the bad press that Islam has been getting AS A WHOLE.

The biggest reason why lots of Americans are becoming afraid of Islam, and Muslims in general, is because they aren't exposed to "normal" Muslims who look and talk and act like other

• Americans. (When Catholics and Protestants committed senseless acts of terrorism all over Ireland, people didn't develop wholesale fears of the Catholic or Protestant faith -- because there were everyday, "normal" Catholics and Protestants everywhere.)

I'm actually totally serious about this:
      If you are the cool, "normal" Muslim girl, with normal American friends and normal American clothes -- while sticking to yr faith openly -- then EVERYONE who meets you will remember you, and EVERYONE who meets you absolutely WILL have a more open, more welcoming attitude toward Islam AS A WHOLE, accordingly. Totally serious. You could absolutely accomplish that, just by being... a cool girl who wears shorts.

Whether yr parents will actually consider this is another issue, but, it can't hurt for you to TRY to engage them in the discussion.

• You make a very good sheikh 😛

What Guys Said 15

• Just tell them that you never chose to be Muslim, they tried to choose for you, so you are not Muslim and can wear what you want.

• I'm muslim... you see the problem is your parents are forcing you into something you don't belive. Wearing hijab in hot weather is hot I know but you should question yourself to why you do it. And no you do not look like a grandma you just have morals and believe in showing your character not your body.

Please learn about why its important to wear hijab, and question yourself what you believe is the truth. But just to remind you wearing hijab is Allah command to guard your private. And for men its our eyes.

• Omg please... Wearing hijab has nothing to do with morality. Especially when hijab is to protect women from the sick eyes of men. Why don't you guys hijab your eyes and stop calling women lmmoral if they are sane enough to wear like a Normal woman.

• Din dusmanliginizi kendinize saklayin. Insanlarin goruslerinede saygi duyun ayni fikirde olmasaniz bile.

First of all I didn't even call girls who don't wear hijab immoral so I'm not gonna argue over things I didn't say. All I know is if women cover up men have nothing to look... if men don't look women have nothing to show. Don't worry Allah justice is perfect if I do my share you have to do yours too. I don't look so I do mine and I don't really care what you do. I can't force you to cover yourself up so there is no point for me to be like you. A girl that doesn't attract men with her body and causes attention with her character has morals. End of discussion.

• I really don't think you're gonna have any success, there.

Christ I feel sorry for Muslim kids born in a western country.

• :/

I dont think you can

• You are gonna have to find a way to wear them without them knowing, Or convince them that you need to assimilate better to your current situation.

• Hijab? Lol hijab doesn't event exist in Quran ahahaha your parents are ignorant in this topic.. I dont also completely support wearing shorts often but in the beach of course you can wear proper things

• Do whatever u want, its ur life, wear what you like, they are not the one decide for you. Islam not said do anything forcefully, i saw many muslim girl they wear so exposing clothes, its their life.

• Yeah... other stupid girl too.. Why did u need to specify ur partner's religion? Anyway if I was ur parent, I would lock u idiot kid

• Well sorry for that love just wait till you're old enough and live alone that's no way of living

• if you dont like what you believe, just stop believing in it
    following others rules is just faking

• which country? what about your friends and public

• Only wonder why they allow you to go to the beach and hang with infidel frieds

• Can you please leave GaG forever? we don't like evil people like you.

• @HeresJames1 It's their vocabulary. Such parents would refer to her friends as infidels, right

• No, using the term infidel is a derogatory term of making the Person you're talking about seem less like a human being, putting them lower than you in status. You don't treat people like that, nobody deserves to be treated like they are not human, like they are like garbage, that's mean and evil and makes the person talking sound like a complete asshole. You ever wonder why Muslim faith is so loathed by the rest of the world, it's because the cultural teachings are teaching the people to be assholes, to be judgmental self-righteous closed-minded conservative assholes, and that's why people hate it.

• covert to Christianity, problem solved

• Nice trolling for defaming islam., dude

• I feel for you. You need to break free

What Girls Said 6

• Wtf yo
    Why would u ask that question here knowing all the haters are ganna hates on our religion?
    1. Don't go the beach it's not important just sit your ass down in ur house and have A/C on.
    2. If u wear hajib why would u want to wear short.. oh please you can't possibly be telling me da u only wear it to act innocent in front of your parents?
    3. Why can't u understand ur poor parents are only trying to protect ur ass from the hell fire...

• @Red_Arrow yes I know I'm a naughty bitch and I know I'm ganna go to hell blah blah...
      But I was never religious to begin with she was tho...
      She's innocent
      Wearing hajibs
      What I'm mad about are 2 things
      1. Was all this time her warning hajib was an innocent act in front of her parents
      2. If it wasn't an act and she's really innocent/reglious then why the fuck would she want to wear shorts?

• She will have to weigh in on this to know the answer, but I believe that as a younger girls she followed the teaching of her religion and parents, blindly at first, then reluctantly. She is finally seeing things differently and would like to have the freedom she feels she needs. She just arrived at her self realization later than you. It is hard to change how you act when you are stuck in an environment that forbids what you think is right, especially after living it so long. I think she is trying to break out of what has become a prison for her.

• Just have extra clothes to change into when you're out.

• You need to understand why are you doing what you are doing.. And while obeying the parents is very important in Islam, even that you are doing to please God... Do you even believe in God?

• You cannot convince them, but its your life so wear whet you like. But you should respect their believe and in family life dress acoordingly, but once among friends, dress like them.

• Start with asking if you can wear capri pants. If all else fails, linen is your friend.

• That is your religion... so suck it up.