Guys, what do you think of girls who wear fur coats, hats, etc?

The question is pretty self explanatory. What do guys think if they saw me walking down the street or into the office wearing a fur coat or a non-fur coat with a fur muff and hat?

I know this is going to start an animal rights debate, which wasn't my goal, but when I grew up wearing such things it doesn't really bug me to wear them. With that said, I was just wondering is it sexy, old fashioned, classy, trashy, whatever you think it is.

Most Helpful Guy

• She has expensive taste and probably only visits the date a millionaire websites. My dad used to sell these coats, they are a good business though.

What Guys Said 5

• High maintenance is the first thing that comes to mind.

• I would think, "Why does she want to kill animals?" Sorry, but that's my honest reaction.

• Classy...

To the vegetarians:

Tomatoes scream when you slice into them.

• What many people don't understand is that today most fur trappers eat and/or process their meat. Not much difference from the thought of wearing a leather coat.

incidentally I think women that wear fur look sophisticated, classy, an unbelievably sexy overall.

• Classy and sexy but unapproachable unless she smiles at me first.

What Girls Said 4

• I instantly wouldn't like you because you think your "fashion" is more important than animal's lives.
    No, I don't wear fur either. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I don't support killing animals or humans for that matter, unless we absolutely need to. You don't need fur.

• I don't like fur clothing because of the animal rights thing, but that's a personal moral issue.

I honestly hate the look of fur clothing. I understand it's supposed to be a symbol of wealth and style, but I've always thought fur clothing, real or fake, looked absolutely ridiculous. I see a lot of older women (and some younger) wearing fur coats in the winter and I think they look like Bigfoot.

• well as a vegetarian-it's morally wrong.

but besides that-it makes them look high-maintenance.

• How is it morally wrong wear fur? Fur keeps you warm, what's the difference between a fur coat and leather jacket both came from a dead animal.

• Just my two cents-- The animals killed to make fur garments are used for their fur and only their fur. When it comes to leather, the cow probably also served as a source of food. I feel like that's a little more acceptable.

• @tex151 I have never owned a leather jacket.

• I'd think you were rich, Russian, or both.

As for the animal rights debate, the reason people oppose fur is because much of it is manufactured from fur farms where animals are held in very very small cages and never let out, for the sole purpose of becoming a garment for you. It's extremely cruel to the animals who are left in dirty, unhygenic, confining spaces.

If you are buying your fur from a thrift shop (where the damage is already done) or if you are hunting the animal yourself, I don't see a reason not to wear the fur. A couple years ago, I believe the state of Louisiana was killing water rats (huge things the size of small beavers) which are not native to the area and cause tremendous destruction to the ecosystem. They then sold the fur to clothes manufacturers. I also think that's an acceptable case to wear fur.

In my own personal taste, I think of fur as a show-off luxury item and to me, wearing fur says that you want to appear rich and let everyone know you have money. Unless you do live in Russia or similarly cold places, that's my first impression of someone who wears fur.