• Ask
  • myTake

What's the difference between asking for space and a break?

I want to see what some the guys and especially girls think about the difference. From what I've learned, girls 4/5 times will be the one asking for the break or space (one common example; guy is comfortable and complacent with the available sex but doesn't put in the same effort as before, in turn she feels obligated/distasteful towards the sex). Space, I believe can happen at anytime and both still remain in the relationship. Maybe the last weeks of school get tough and she needs focus, or the more common one where she takes a step back and realizes she isn't as involved or attracted to the guy or relationship and asks for space in order to make thoughts clearer (for both people) and get a sense of wanting to see the guy again, or simply a feeling of missing them. A break I always viewed as more serious. One where sometimes rules are set, such as being able to date other people, and/or a specific day in the future where after absolute no contact (emergencies aside of course), they meet, talk, and see if bygones can be bygones and continue on with the relationship.Am I off in my concepts of both? Generally, I believe space is necessary, you can implements rules too, such as preferring not to be contacted for a certain amount of time. A break, however, I've always seen more like a break-up. To have the privilege of sleeping with others and still leaving the possibility of returning to the relationship I find disrespectful on a massive level. A few of my friends have accepted breaks with these same terms applied to them and some have gotten back with their girls after knowing they slept with someone else. I've always offered and asked for space in relationships before when needed but never accepted or offered a break. It was either space or break-up. After a break-up maybe several months or years down the line we might spark something again but never allow a short window of having and eating one's own cake. I need clarity on this because I recently got in a heated discussion with a good friend of mine who I honestly believe is getting burned. Of course, she's drop dead beautiful and he Loves her, two elements sometimes even years of friendship can't deface.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Needing space is basically how you defined it...ur still in the relationship but there's less contact than before. All the rules of being in a relationship still apply ie: no sex or dating or any other behavior that wouldbe considered cheating is allowed.I've always considered a break to be the same as a break up but with the possibility it might not be permanent...not necessarily in the short or long term but in my opinion if its only for the short term then the people involved shouldnt have sex...dating would be fine but only as long as they can control the no sex rule hope I helped :)

What Girls Said 2

• Giving space is exactly how you described it: slowing things down and not having as much contact. I typically do this when a guy I am dating comes around far too much for me to "breathe" or the spark is dulled by knowing that I will see him all the time. A break is cutting ties and knowing that you still care enough to want to be with that person later but something has pushed your relationship to strain.

• To me a "space" and a "break up" are you same thing.

What Guys Said 1

• It's a period where your partner takes a calculated decision on if they want to break up with you or not.