Why Apples Are Good For You

Why Apples Are Good For You

Shout out to @apple24

You will get whiter, healthier teeth

An apple wonโ€™t replace your toothbrush, but biting and chewing an apple stimulates the production of saliva, reducing tooth decay and lowering the levels of bacteria.

Nutrition

Packing in quite a bit of soluble fiber for a modest amount of calories makes apples a filling, sweet snack. Plus, a medium apple counts as 1 cup of fruit, so after eating one you're half way to meeting your daily fruit intake. They also are a good source of vitamin C which is great for boosting your immune system.

Decreases your risk of diabetes

Women who eat an apple a day are 28% less likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those who donโ€™t. Apples are loaded with soluble fibre which is key to reducing blood sugar swings.

Get a healthier heart

Studies have linked high soluble fibre intake with a slow build-up of cholesterol-rich plaque in your arteries. The phenolic compound found in apple skins prevents the cholesterol that gets into your system from hardening on your artery walls. When plaque builds up inside your arteries, it reduces blood flow to your heart, which then leads to coronary artery disease.

Help protect against cancer

Researchers have identified several compounds (triterpenoids) in apple peel that have powerful anti-growth activities against cancer cells in our liver, colon and breast.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• Gonna eat one right away!!

• Also an apple a day keeps the Doctor away

• Hmm, was eating one while I saw this post. Did not knew about the teeth and diabetes facts :O
    Nice take :D

• i eat apple everyday.

• You know what they say... An apple a day keeps your farts at bay

• So it's not because the fruit is mass produced so much because it has high yield, sweet and can be stored for a while?

Fruit that are produced a lot because they are profitable tend to have more research done about them. Why? If you are a farmer growing apples then you will more likely going to fund a research about apples rather than, say, pineapple. If you are a researcher then you are more likely going to research apples because people consume them so much rather than, say, durian fruit.

• So, it's a good thing they're researched so much? Since so many people eat apples.

• At some point, you will have to ask whether apples are actually that good compare to uncommon fruit or apples are actually the bottom of the chart with few nutrients and people just sell it because it's cheaper to produce. The shere amount of research about apples is done because of the amount of profits rather than actual benefits.

I would recommend fruits that are less industrial and a little wilder.

• That all being said, there's nothing wrong with apples. And because they are mass produced, they are cheaper than wilder fruit. Which makes them more easily available to people. Don't be dissing apples. There's nothing wrong with them

• Excellent take!

• I ate about 12 apples yesterday as a meal. I'm a fruitarian.

• eat the seeds inside of the apple also there healthy for everyone

• Apples are very good but i don't like dis fruit very much.

• Good take, lots of interesting facts reminiscent of old saying
    denisewalsh.com/.../fiber-apple1.jpg

• Nice mytake. It was very informative and had a lot of great facts.

What Girls Said 9

• AWW! Apple love!

• 12 apples a day makes you Fart which allows me to pick up the hotter guys since I only eat one a day

• I disagree...
    Are you aware of how much sugar is in one Apple?
    Apples have more carbohydrates and sugar than most fruits
    One large Apple contains 34g of Carbohydrates alone
    Not including the 25g of sugar...
    And yOu can only get about 8% of your calcium intake from one large Apple.
    Which I suppose it okay ish? Right?

I'm completely against the modern day food pyramid.
    High fat No Carb; or nothing! :)

www.livestrong.com/.../

• I'm not saying apples are bad for you, but for me and my diet. I treat them as a no go especially for losing weight. You'll be surprised how much you lose! Eventually any sugar will give you a stomach ache

• I always ask my family to buy a few apples when we run out. They are my favorite fruit. My family has the least healthy diet I have ever come to know, because they know NOTHING about nutrition and eating right. I get tired of eating all the processed foods they buy, so yes, I really like apples. They help me when I am dehydrated (I drink too much green tea, and I can't get enough water to go with it), and they make me feel good. The only thing I don't like about it is that apples actually INCREASE my hunger. After I've finished munching on one for a half hour or so, I start feeling really empty, and so I have to eat something else. It brings the question, "What's the point?" I end up eating something really unhealthy after having an apple.

• And best of ALL, they're really cheap!! My advice is to always put apples in the fridge. Cold apples are sweeter

• But mooooooom, I don't LIKE apples!!!

• when I was little I believed that an apple a day would actually keep the doctor away so I ate an apple every single day until I was like 10. Now I hate apples

• Nice mytake :)