7 Raw Vegetables That Actually Taste, You Know, Good

1. Celery

Wash the vegetable. Break off the celery stalks. Tear away the leaves. Cut the stalks into bite-size pieces.

2. Beefsteak Tomato

Wash the vegetable. Rip away a small part of the flesh with your teeth. Suck all the tomato juice out of the tomato. Squeeze the tomato, while you are sucking it. Take away more pieces of the flesh. Suck more juice, and squeeze the tomato. Keep on sucking and squeezing until the entire tomato is consumed.

3. Avocado

Wash the vegetable. Cut the avocado lengthwise with a knife. Dig out the pit on both avocado halves. Use a spoon to eat the avocado.

4. Carrot

Wash the vegetable. Remove the leafy end. Cut about 3 cm of the pointy end. Shave off the carrot skin. Wash the vegetable again. Enjoy the crunch.

5. Cucumber

Wash the cucumber. Slice it like in the picture above. Eat each slice of cucumber.

6. Aloe Vera

Wash the aloe vera leaf. Cut off the spiny things at the edges. Remove about 3 cm of the base of the leaf. Tear the skin apart. Dig into the flesh. Try to catch all the slime. Eat at the sink or with a plate below you, because the food will get super slimy.

7. Red Onion

Wash the onion. Find the rough parts of the onion. Cut them off. Cut the whole onion in half lengthwise, meaning the knife is parallel to the direction of the normal growth of the onion. Hold the onion away from your face. Beware of the onion sting! Onions can make you cry! Peel away the outermost layer slowly. Discard the outermost layer. Peel away the inner layers. Put them in a bowl. Eat the onions. In Holes (2003), Stanley Yelnats held an onion plant to his friend, Hector Zeroni, and said it's a hot fudge sundae. A real onion tastes nothing like a hot fudge sundae. Actually, its spiciness and crunchiness makes it a very unique vegetable. However, you do not want to eat too much, because onion gives off a burning sensation and makes your breath stink. Use parsley to refresh your mouth.

Safety Tips:

1. It is important to wash the vegetables thoroughly before you eat them. The outer layer may contain dirt, microorganisms, or pesticides.

2. Reserve cutting utensils specifically for cutting raw vegetables that will be consumed raw. Do not mix this kind of cutting knife with your raw meat cutting knife.

3. Use safe cutting practices. Point the knife away from your fingers.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 21

• I like these but I'm one of those freaks who actually doesn't like avocado. :P

Haven't tried aloe vera as a raw vegetable, though...

• Why isn't romaine lettuce on the list? I have been breaking off and eating romaine lettuce leaves like I'm a bunny. 🐰

Romaine lettuce has an earthy, slightly bitter, slightly sweet flavor that I dig. :-D

• #1 No, not without cheesewiz or peanut butter lol and I had noooo idea about #6

• Peanut butter has sugar. Cheese has fat. The point of the myTake is to limit the amount of added sugar and fat as much as possible and to promote healthier fast food. You just have to grab and go.

• Well then it doesn't taste good! :-P lol and besides peanut butter is high in protein, healthy doesn't have to mean losing weight, gaining muscle is good too ;-)

What does aloe vera taste like? I'm really interested now! Good take :D

• I would rather eat whole peanuts than eat peanut butter.

It is true that eating healthy does not mean losing weight. It means to eat a balanced diet that contains enough nutrients for normal functions. Sucrose breaks down into glucose and fructose. Glucose may be useful by the body, but fructose has to be processed by the liver. Why burden the liver with more sugar when there is already enough sugar in fruits and vegetables?

• Out of all of those, I have never had aloe vera. Dont even know what its good for.
    I love cucumbers, tomatos, onions, lettuce, spinach, avocados and beets raw.

Celery, broccoli and carrots hmmmm raw are good but not my favorite.
    Hey check out some raw options @melme16

• Beets? Never had it. What does it taste like?

• True, I would much rather make my own sauce but cooking for myself is already enough for me. Maybe later I will take on that but for now I try to look for any sauce that doesn't have corn syrup or preservatives. I still love ketchup tho.
      One thing I have to avoid is salt, I love salt with my veges.

• I think a vegetable consumer must have a bland palate. A sweet palate will find vegetables disgusting. I have more of a bland palate, so I can tolerate most veggies' natural taste without sauce or condiments. But some veggies still taste better than others. I prefer a tomato than a carrot, so I'd eat them together and use the tomato to mask the carrot taste. Raw vegetables can be made into salads, with fruits as toppings, because the fruity sweetness will mask the bitterness of the vegetables.

• Need more please

• Nobody likes raw celery though, its disgusting.

• carrots all day everyday :3

• Vary your vegetables. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which can make you turn orange. The orange color is totally harmless, but it does resemble having a more serious condition called jaundice.

• thank you dea, being vegetarian i will try to vary my diet a little bit more ;)

• i eat a lot of cucumbers, tomatoes and onions. i eat cucumbers and tomatoes like apples.

• I haven't tasted avocado and aloe vera tastes very bitter.
    Other than these two all of these taste quite good. And for cucumber, take a small bit first to taste. Sometimes cucumber can be bitter AF.

• Aloe vera has been used as medicine before, so I think the bitterness is expected.

Avocado tastes fatty. If you want more fat in your diet, then you may eat an avocado.

• Well, in America, "Oriental" is considered an offensive term. Therefore, the preferable term is "Asian". Indians are described as "South Asian".

• Ohh thanks for info ^^

by the way I meant "... it's not just Indian* or Asian" in 2nd paragraph of previous comment.

• Avocado's are a fruit, it has a plant bearing seed which makes it a fruit.

Kale
    Parsnip
    spinach

• *sigh*

Vegetable is a culinary term.

• an you know this how? you spend your day's in a kitchen prepping food?

• At least two of those vegetables are not vegetables but fruit. I think the cucumber is certainly a fruit too so that makes 3 of them. Half of your list are not vegetables!!!

• Vegetable is a culinary term, not a scientific term. In a culinary context, they are all vegetables.

• So yeah botanically your vegetables are fruit but you call them vegetables because you want to. I want to call my noodles vegetables because I want to.

• The world does not operate on what you personally, individually, prefer to call something. When I mentioned "subjective", I meant "subjective in a collectivist manner". Most people consider carrots vegetable, because it's traditionally regarded as a vegetable and is used as cooking. It's quite an arbitrary reason, but a reason based on a collectivistic opinion.

• I love vegetables, especially green peppers, tomatoes and onions.

• I absolutely LOVE avocado. If there was a god and he created a vegetable (or is it a fruit?), he'd probably would have created avocado. Personally, I've never tried it with salt though... seems a little odd. I like avocado with a splash of extra virgine olive oil (that's my Greek style ;-). Alternatively, avocado also fits wonderfully to raw fish such as salmon or tuna. They don't necessarily need to be wrapped up in a sushi, you can also just assemble them in a bowl with some rice and a raw egg yolk on the top, that's a Japanese dish called donburri. The combination of raw fish and avocado is heavenly, it's like bacon and eggs... they naturally go together.

Being half Greek, I also love tomatoes and cucumber. They're both very important in Greek cuisine. However, I'm not a big fan of those big beefsteak tomatoes. They can be alright in a veggie-mix but on their own, their taste isn't very exquisite. I like peretti tomatoes a lot and also date tomatoes.

Carrots on the other hand are something that never quite caught my interest. I don't like how hard and dry they are. It's a weird feeling to eat them raw... it makes me feel as though I need to drink a lot of water to get them down.

• Eat carrots with tomatoes. The tomatoes have a lot of water.

• Raw tomatos, cucumbers, onions and lettuce or spinach with lime juice plus salt and pepper is amazinnnnggg! The only vege mix I ever eat raw, or salad, have no idea what else to make.
    Avocados are great too, raw of course.
    I like spanish/white onions much more than red ones, not sure why and they dont have such a strong smell.

Chinese onions and cilantro are great when eaten raw too.
    This a good take @melme16

• I love yellow and red pepper the most.

• That type of onion wiil make your eyes bleed :p

• No broccoli? I like it by itself but even better with cheese.

• I see now that you said raw. Makes sense why broccoli wasn't on there.

• I only like celery if I dip it in ranch.

• well, beefstake tomatoes, avocado and cucumbers are actually fruits

• Vegetable is a culinary term.

• Just carrots and red onion taste good out of that list 😜

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 17

• They all can be good with a bit of seasoning. Avocado with salt, tomatoes is good with salt also. Celery, and carrots is good with with ranch. Cucumber is good with a pinch of vinegar. Onions are good by themselves or together with another meal. I've never tried Aloe Vera though.

• I prefer the vegetables without any seasoning. I like the natural taste they are given.

• Ranch, peanut butter, and maybe even vinegar are processed food and may have added sugar in it. So, you cannot add processed food seasoning. Instead, you can make your own dressing/seasoning without added sugar. If you find that too difficult or time-consuming, you can simply eat a tomato as "natural seasoning" for your celery. :)

• Tomato's and avacados are great, cukes and carrots mehhhh. Celery and onions... i'd rather eat a handful of dirt.

• I was with you until you said aloe vera, omg, how does that taste?
    I agree on pretty much everything else though :)
    and broccoli! Avocado is da best <3

• Aloe vera tastes bitter. Be prepared to have something sweet and nutritious, like sweet cherries, on the side.

Avocado is usually eaten raw. People mash raw avocados up to make guacamole.

Broccoli is usually cooked. I may have seen raw broccoli used in salads before. However, I prefer not to eat salads, because I believe that too much raw vegetables are not really good for digestion/absorption. I prefer my vegetables stir-fried, steamed, and made into soups.

• Wow, I'm gonna have to try this aloe vera (even if it's scary) :o

• It's funny I used to hate tomatoes when I was a teenager but when I hit my twenties , for some reason, I actually eat them raw now! It's crazy weird but they taste great lol
    Great myTake

• Taste changes as you grow older. Children tend to be more sensitive to bitter flavors as a protection mechanism to avoid poisons, which tend to be bitter. Medicine is also bitter, so children hate consuming medicine.

• Onion and celery are not good. The other are ok

• Many vegetables are an acquired taste. Their bitterness naturally offend young children who are particularly sensitive to bitterness. However, many things can be done to make the food more palatable from an early age. (1) The parent must show a keen interest and enthusiasm of fresh vegetables. (2) The parent must literally eat vegetables, cooked and fresh, on a regular basis, since the child is conceived. (3) The parent restricts all sugar intake to whole, non-processed foodstuffs (grains, vegetables, and fruits) that are only processed in the home using no sugar or sugar-like substances.

• Forget about beauty standards! You are putting your health at risk! Physical fitness and personal hygiene contribute to beauty, but if you have to add make-up, form-fitting outfits, perfume, or jewelry, or if you have to be anorexic/starving, then your health comes first.

I believe that Catholic and Buddhist nuns exemplify modest female beauty. Buddhist nuns shave off their hair; Catholic nuns wear loose-fitting, modest clothes. They set the example, not the mass media, about beauty.

• Yes, that's true but that's difficult because I lose wright I feel really bad. Every girls was so skinny or prettier than me.
      I'm catholic and so I wear conservative clothes that's hard to get a guy attention on me.
      I try to eat more nowadays and stop all the unhealthy habit I have but I'm afraid to be too big for guys to like me.

• I disagree with celery, tomatoes and onions. Celery tastes like nothing. Tomatoes are the devil. Onions will burn your face off.

• Celery tastes like nothing, because 95% of celery is water. The rest are nutrients. It also has a lot of indigestible sugars, cellulose. The good thing is that you obtain your water supply from the celery. The bad thing is that, if the celery you eat is not organic (pesticides were used), then the toxins may accumulate in the water supply. Hopefully, the antioxidants can balance out the toxins.

Tomatoes taste sweet and juicy. They may be a good "natural sauce" for the celery, which tastes bland. For a quick snack, you can eat a whole celery and a whole tomato. :D

I like onions, because they taste spicy. But I can't take too much, because they also make me cry. Onion tears and onion breath are the signs of eating too much onions. :(

• Tomatoes are the devil. The DEVIL.

• You can eat aloe vera? I have aloe vera gel, but never thought I could eat the plant it comes from... Interesting take.

• The flesh of the aloe vera is very gelatinous by itself. I have read and heard that it can be used as detoxification.

• Hmm... I might try to find some.

• I like avocados and tomatoes with salt and pepper

• Cool.

• I only like to eat raw carrots, tomatos and probably the red onion, the rest does not look that apealing to me to eat it raw

• Cilantro is another one!!

• ugh, i hate all those suggestions! Avacado I can deal with but the rest is just plain bleh.

• Raw kale is nice, but it is tastier when cooked!

• I love all of them just I am not a fan of avocado.

• i.ytimg.com/vi/z5MgRzcjIYU/maxresdefault.jpg

tht stuff tastes vile, only way i can get my daily veggies is by blending kale, carrots, etc with some fruits and sugar.

• don't forget Wheat grass , the fresh cut grass is now in your smoothie

• LOL : why's this taste like Grass? uh i put Wheat grass in your smoothie when you were not looking! O_o

• Fruits are already sweet. You don't need to add more sweetness by double-dosing on sugar. Too much sugar is toxic to the liver, because sugar breaks down to glucose and fructose. Glucose may be readily absorbed by the body, but fructose needs to be processed and dealt with by the liver. So, the added sugar has just turned your healthy drink unhealthy and toxic.

• Aloe taste terrible. It's way too bitter. I don't know how my husband blends it with water and drinks it. 😬
    Personally, I'd like to add radishes and bell peppers to the list.

• i despise tomatoes gross. cucumbers and onions 😖