5 Things I'd Like to See on GaG

GAG has been in development for a long time and it might come as a surprise to a lot of people that the staff seems to feel the site has yet to actually take off. In other words, the site is still in a sort of testing phase. They are always trying to improve the site with new ideas to figure out what it''s identity should be and such and more often than not people hate the updates they come up with.

But change isn't such a bad thing, especially if it's only building on top of what's already there. Here are some things that I would love for the creators of the site to try.

Feed Upgrades

I'm talking about my little friend on the right of the sites body. That thing is literally how I navigate the website, I make an answer or read a question, look to the feed and pick something to click on next. Sometimes however, I see something I really want to check out on the feed when I already clicked on something else and no matter how many times this has happened to me, I always just hit the back button without thinking and of course it's gone. Sometimes forever.

I think the solution should be a back button that can work up to maybe 5 minutes worth of feed info. Or maybe for the site to remember what was on your feed up to 4 pages ago and let you recall upon those.

I would also like an option to keep more items in the feed and for it to display what topic the question or take was categorized under.

Contests

A while back there was a video contest. Video is my thing and I really wanted to enter but didn't have the time. I figured I'd catch the next one and I'm still waiting. There have also been a number of writing contests and such. Even if they aren't GAG based topics, there should be more of them. What a great way to build a community and maybe draw some more people to this site.

Mini Blogs

So there are a lot of editors on this website. To me it's at a number that kinda diminishes the coolness of having the editor tag. I think there should be a re structure where there is something higher than an editor or the current editors get called something else like "Promoted Writer" or something and you give less than 15 people this new, higher position which lets you have your own blog that comes from a new tab on the site. Right next to topics or something.

Maybe it's a free form blog or maybe you have a topic to stay on but I think people who put out really really great takes should get to have something like that where you're promised a blog spot for 6 months or something until you're up for renewal or something.

My mind always takes ideas to the furthest extreme and I'm telling you, this can get pretty crazy if given time to grow. I think it would be really cool to do something like this.

Statistics

You want to know a weird secret? Porn hub puts out a crazy amount of statistics. Everything from the most common searches (split between guys and girls) what their traffic is like every day on an hour by hour basis. (they posted a story about how it dropped for the 1st or 2nd debate or something) Now I think that's pretty cool and if you don't then I don't understand what the appeal of this website is to you.

(here's the link to that webpage, I found it after writing this)

http://www.pornhub.com/insights/presidential-debate-traffic

I think GAG should have a section of the top bar dedicated to showing how many members are currently online. I think it would be cool for there to be a page somewhere that shows how many opinions, questions takes and such have been posted hourly, weekly, yearly and since the beginning of the site (or some other date)

Remember how I implied there were more than 15 editors? I pulled that number completely out of my ass. I think theirs like 20 but maybe there's only 10 and I just don't pay enough attention. It would be cool to know how many there are and stuff.

Opinion updates

Okay, I totally understand why we can't update out opinions. But sometimes I accidentally hit enter or I realize shortly after that what I said was dumb or untrue or maybe just a little spiteful or mean. I'm (very) human and sometimes we say things that we immediately want to change so it would be cool to have a feature where I can edit opinions within a certain time frame or delete them whenever we want.

I could think of more stuff but then I would have to do more Photoshop work and I've been on it constantly for the past 2 weeks. I don't even want to hear the word Photoshop right now. What about you guys? Is there anything you'd like to see added to the site? What do you think of my suggestions? Drop me a line below!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

I think these are great ideas.

loling at my comment featured in the screenshot on chico_brahs question.
    But yeah, nice ideas haha

• 3d

perfect

I can actually agree with this. Its a well intentioned investment. And I say that it will help improve the GaG community in a lot of ways. The more information and informative GaG can be, the better for its users and visitors of the site.

I like the website as is, I really like that I am just helping people out who need someone to hear and understand them and talk to them and tell them they are worth their time... I think this website is great and very addicting to someone like me who thinks she might make a difference by giving her time and wisdom to someone else. thanks GAG

If you click on the GAG logo in the header, the list on the resulting page is exactly the same as the feed -- except it goes back indefinitely (you can just keep scrolling down).

So yr first point, at least, is already addressed in the current system.

Why did you spell "blogues" the French way?

My problem is, that feed doesn't seem to work the same way as the side bar one. Which reminds me, Clicking on the gag logo should bring you to the sites home page because I really like looking for featured takes through there.

And I spelled it like that because I was trying to culture our community

Something I want is a private search option, to be able to search our own questions and opinions.
    Sometimes I want to look at an opinion I gave a long time ago, and it's hard.

Hmm, I think it's good when people make takes like these about improving the site :)
    You have really great ideas. You are frustrated with the back button and your feed, when you said that, though I'm not frustrated about that, I do like that GaG saves responses to questions if your tab reloads, it wasn't like that in the past, and it's an amazing feature. Your idea could be the next great functional feature to this site.
    I agree on the editors thing, I think we have some amazing editors, but I feel like sometimes the content promoted is lacking. Whether our editors aren't putting out enough or the content isn't being checked enough.
    Great MyTake.

Thanks so much. The problem with the editors is that your generally supposed to write "1-2 takes a week" now I have enough trouble getting 2 of them out a month and when you add in the fact that it's not even a paying job, you really need to find someone who is incredibly self motivated. But when people give you good feedback and ideas for new takes it changes everything and really helps motivate us to stay consistent!

Same, I think I've submitted 2 since the feature came a year ago. It's a bigger task then people think, we all have lives outside of here. And just making one quality one can take a while, especially if someone collects research and tries to be accurate. The ones that do it good, they do it good. Sometimes it's hilarious, I love those too. I really enjoyed your perspective though and your format was great too :)

As someone who actually worked as editor within an academic publishing editorial staff, what I want is to see the editor tag changed to writer.
    Writing blogs (MyTakes) doesn't make one an editor.

lolololoing @ Rgb's sucking dick comment

What Guys Said 8

Very detailed, thanks much for your feedback! :)

More partial nudity in the "How do I look section"

I think the blog isn't anything special... just search their takes... same thing.

The stats are cool, but it would make people post less things when the activity is down, so that questions would be more seen on the high activity periods.
    That would lead to the even less activity in the lower activity periods of the past.

There is still a security flaw that I told the admins about within the first couple of weeks here, and it is still not fixed.
    But I like these ideas, but I think they should fix the security bug first.

Love all of your ideas! you're the man

What I'd love is the option to comment anonymously. The awesome thing about this site is that you can post anonymously and I never post publicly but us anons can't comment on opinions and I think it's unfair, anons should be able to do whatever non-anons can do

Interesting ideas, great Take :D

Some good ideas there