5 Practical Uses For GAG

I think many people are too quick to poo-poo social media as being a total and complete waste of time, but I beg to differ. On some sites, like GaG, there is definite value to be had if you put the efforts into getting the most out of it that you can. Here are five awesome uses for GaG.

1. Practice the power of persuasion

It's easy to get into an internet fight over the topics and takes on GaG, but why not use GaG to actually work on your powers of persuasion. If you have valid points, use them to try to actually change someone's mind. You might not 'win' and get them to do a complete 180, but you can often get people to see your POV. You aren't going to make that happen though if you just go in with the mindset that you are going to argue back and forth and name call. No one responds well to that, but rather if you are rational and break down your points and open your ears to listen to the other person as well, you may very well be able to persuade them to see things your way.

2. Become a better writer

If you struggle with writing, GaG is a great way to practice those skills by writing takes. You're never going to get better at something simply by not doing it or practicing it. Really push yourself to put up a few takes a week so you can get feedback. It may not be on your writing per se, but with the responses, you can tell when something you've written really resonates with people. If you're not getting a lot of views or comments, invite your friends in and out of GAG, to give you some of their honest feedback from time to time or even show your teachers if you're still in school.

3. Use it to help you cope

Whatever you are going through in your life---depression, addiction, loneliness, illness, stress, death in the family, break-ups, loss of job, etc, use GaG as an outlet. Talk to people on here. Everything you are going through, I can almost guarantee 50 more have gone through the same things, if not worse than your own situation. It really helps not to keep things bottled up to the point where you feel you're losing control, and even if you are, talk about that. Get to know those who are going through the same things or have been through them. They can give you advice or private message you, so that you don't have to feel so alone.

4. Become a mentor

There are a couple well known GaGers who are well known because they often give strong solid advice or help. Many members trust that when they get a response from these people, it's going to be helpful or constructive in some way. They also like to read takes by them because they know they'll get some new insight on a topic. You can become a mentor just by being a present positive force throughout the GaG community. Sometimes we may not have a voice out in the real world, but GaG is full of those same people that exist out there, in here, who are clamoring for help and advice from those willing to give it and share their experiences and thoughts. If you are also a retiree who may not get to see a lot of people anymore or you don't have a lot of family or family of your own, being able to continue to mentor can be very helpful for you.

5. Use it to help gain a better understanding of social media

If you are someone keen on setting up a business online or a blog of your own or some other website, you can learn a lot by studying the very sites you're using. Follow the patterns because they are definitely there if you look. Look at the popular posts and the people consistently posting them. Look at the content and the number of posts or likes for certain materials. Look what pictures grab the most attention. If you are really invested in a particular subject on GaG, focus on that and what does well there because it may help you in your own venture.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 8

• Plot twist: this is written by admins to make cool impressions.

Just kidding :P good points.

• LOL, that would be funny though.

• You make some very good points here. I will use your advice to make GaG more useful for me. Thanks. Good thinking.

• thank-you. Good luck

• 6. Trolling

• I use it to spread awareness and education.

• Am i the only one using GaG as a time killer?

• Nah I am sure many people do it as a time killer. I personally use it to help me cope with something or just chill out and help others.

• Clap clap clap... everything makes sense. i agree totally. i just don't feel so much sympathy with the 4 because i don't think i could actually become a mentor here

• lol at power of persuasion. you're not going to persuade anyone on gag cuz there's too much confirmation bias and most people on gag are dumb as a fucking wall.

• I've had many a good debates by those more mature in mind GaGers who have been willing to listen to alternative points to their own. I don't disagree that there are quite a few idiots who just want to troll and have no desire to hear anything aside from their own voices repeated back to them, but you can't dismiss everyone so easily.

• Good points stated :)

What Girls Said 11

• I used this for my statistics project once.
    #practicalAF 😎

• I love point #2, you can improve your writing skills so much by writing takes, I absolutely agree.

• Don't waste your time with number 1. Too many donkeys who have a fixed mindset. If they view all women as evil, you can type until your fingers and eyes fall off and they'll still be just as toxic

• Whenever someone just blindly dismisses everyone on the internet as one thing, I ask, do you consider yourself a donkey incapable of listening to anyone's opinion other than your own. I very much doubt that. Granted, there are people who won't listen--that's not just on the internet but IRL, but there are quite a few that are willing to talk and discuss in a rational way, but if you just assume everyone is like that, then you'll never find out.

• Not everyone. I can't recall saying "everyone". Don't put words in my mouth. I said "many". Of course there are good ones. But you'll be wasting a lot of your time trying to find them amongst the time wasters

• Help you learning English (new words, new expression)
    help you practice your English regularly.

As a non native English speaker gag do help me with my English.

• Good!

• Wow good tips. I'm defiantly not that good with saying a lot through typing. I'm more of a better talker. And I have seen a lot of interesting things on here too.

• #5 is really useful
    GaG is also useful for keeping up on pop culture and planting seeds of doubt

• Nice, hope people follow advice.

• This is true

• *use it to make people laugh and troll

• That's true