Have you ever felt sad to someone s death, even you do not know them personally? to college student in Kenya, that kid in Germanwings flight?

Life is interesting. Full of stories. Not all of them fun unfortunately... I can not watch news really...It tears me apart.

I just wonder. Can we feel really? A real empathy? Can we?

Have you ever felt sad to someone's death, even you do not know them personally? To college students in Kenya, that kid in Germanwings flight?

I do not know neither of them personally. But it is heartbreaking.Have you ever felt sad to someone s death, even you do not know them personally?to college student in Kenya, that kid in Germanwings flight?

This is kind of a post, I know, that does not fit Sunday. Life is able to laugh when your heart hurts.

Life continues...Hope is somewhere, even, it is somewhere in the clouds. It is there. That is what makes us continue.

Happy Easter friends.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

• Of course! Way too many.
    Worst of all:
    -A woman who was deeply depressed because she had been abused by her father at 12. She was very religious and kind. I met her on a French site, and she told me more than she told her shrink. She died from leukemia and asked me before her death to help her young daughter over the net.
    -Her husband who became my friend, a really kind man who lost an awful lot.
    -Their 11 yo daughter who got in a deep depression and was verbally abused by her grandmother and in school.
    -The 28 yo sister of my friend who helped the father (and me) with the girl: she could discuss delicate feminine subjects with a 12 yo girl. Impossible for me, hard for Armand.

The mother died, the daughter failed two suicide attempts, got in deep coma at the second, woke up died from a third attempt while I was waiting for her on the computer.
    Then the father (my friend) crashed his Toyota Hilux against a concrete pillar at 100 mph on a straight road.

Then I didn't hear anymore from the man's sister but she had full blown metastased cancer, thus I don't think someone of the family survived, except probably the sister's husband an her kid. I didn't hear from him either.
    I spent many evenings chatting with that family. My wife sent little presents to the girl, she was buried with one. I still have a childish drawing the girl mailed me through the post, here on my wall in this room. An elephant. (I joked a lot about elephants with her)

R. I. P. Cathy, Carole, Armand and Elise. :-(
    When I think about them, I hope there's a paradise where they're together: that's what Carole promised Cathy and that's also what motivated Cathy to kill herself. (That's also one of the reasons I dislike religions so much)
    I never met them IRL They lived in some forgotten little town 400 miles from here.

I hate seeing a Toyota Hilux or lookalike ever since. It hurts every time. And there are way too many of them.
    This question HURTS. Feeling very sad now:-(
    And there have been more.

• I knew Carole was dying, she asked to see my photo. Then she put me in Cathy's contacts. The next day I got a message from Armand that Carole was dead.

• Omg what a story.. You guys were close to them. They were like part of the family..
      Aww I am sorry. I really didn't want to make people upset :(

• nope, there hasn't been a time where i heard of a persons death that bothered me that much. I'm a heartless bastard. 😞

• I feel sad for some people because life is unfair to good people sometimes.

• To be honest, no. I don't cry for those I've never seen doing activity. I need a connection like if he/she talked to me on/offline, I've seen them around, I'm a fan of them, or something like that.
    Every day, around 153000 people die, we can't manage to cry for everyone, everytime.
    However, I cry for even littlest things like, last time I cried when a player of 'rival' team is retiring and when I read yesterday that Jack is leaving GaG.
    It means I've emotions but like I said, I need direct/indirect connection even if it's one sided.
    I'm even very sad for a guy here on GAG who's suffering from cancer (last stage) (I can't reveal his name for privacy)
    I feel sad about every single negative moment :(
    But we have to continue. "Survival of the fittest". Men will come, men will go. All we need to make our little moments, forever!

• Little moments so true.
      I am different than you I guess. Of course I prefer connection but I don't need to know them personally to be sad about injustice, little innocent kids dying.. etc It is just me. Whatever floats your boat.

• No, I don't mean that I'm not sad for whatever is happening with them. I wad talking about 'crying' (a loud inarticulate shout or scream expressing a powerful feeling or emotion especially extreme grief or sorrow). Most people are talking about crying (here on comments) and so I did.
      After all, who would not be sad of this. It's very understood.

• Ok. Misunderstood.

• i feel bad for innocent animals which are killed by us humans everyday. if it counts by the way look at the middleeast thousands of people die there everyday because of emperialist countries. thousands of innocent babies are living or dying because of israel's blockadge in gaza and of course there is africa kids die because of hunger there too. i feel bad for all of them.

• Yes I was pretty upset that paul walker died, yea I know "he's just an action movie meathead"

• Yes. I think so. There's certainly no joy felt. But can we feel true sadness for those whose lives never touched us? Good question. I'm tempted to say yes but I wonder how much of it is just getting that reminder that someday that headline will be me.

Even when it's a close relative, how much is true empathy and how much is only fear and sadness over the reminder of my own impending doom?

I buried my only sister just a few months ago. I thought about this very question. Sure I mourned for her and am sad for my nieces and nephew left behind but life must go on and I must get about the business of living.

I'm still sad when reminded of her; I still hold back emotion but by most appearances I've moved on.

Well, I've succeeded in rambling without ever coming to a conclusion. I don't know. That's my answer.

I will tell you this though; I take comfort in the fact that this life is not the end for which I was created.

Happy Easter indeed! It's our only hope!

Thanks for making me think!

• I am sincerely sorry for your loss.. Of course you will continue your life. We all need to continue.
      happy Easter! Life has things to be happy fortunately.

• Not really.

You know an old saying "out of sight, out of mind"?

• Not really, just a bit if it's from my country. I feel depressed if it's my friend. I still have dreams from time to time about him. He was so young too. I will forever remember my close friend in my heart.

• Yeah all the time, especially for the families

• Yes, we can. It may not necessarily be common, but it's perfectly normal if we feel very heartbroken for a stranger's death. After all, they are humans just like us.

• Honestly, this is why I try to avoid too much negative news. I'm not trying to single myself out as some kind of incredible human being or something, but the truth is that I'm incredibly empathic. Things like this can bother me a lot actually.

It's a delicate balance though, because staying informed is so important.

• I agree what you said. Being informed is important. That is why I keep watching. Even it hurts. I can not be blind to world.

• yes , I remember when a girl from the UK was murdered in Thailand it was allover the news for a while very sad and quite upsetting , its weird because for me some things have a strange effect while others don't.

• Yeah not all of the people get affected by these.. You are one emphatic soul :)
      Thanks for the opinion!

• Yes I do of course

What Girls Said 11

• I'm like you, watching and reading those things just breaks my heart but I still do it, I'll feel bad in my heart for hours after reading something like that lol The only person i've ever actually cried over losing is my grandmother though but I do feel bad for days for others when they lose someone as well.

• I've cried sooo many times on Tomas Protopappas' death. He was a Greek actor in his 20s, he had a car accident some years ago. It really shocked me.

• Yes I am a caring person when I hear stories I automatically feel sad and upset. Imagine if I let myself stay in that mindset all day everyday? (since people die every sec somewhere in the world) Yes I feel sad.

• I don't feel sad when people just die, but I feel sad/frustrated based on the reason behind their death. For example the plane crash, I think that was absolutely horrible, but mostly the reason behind their death. And the killings in Kenya is the same. It leaves me angry more than it does sad, because it is just so unfair and wrong.

• I could definitely relate and im sure what im going to say will get a lot of conflict which I hope doesn't happen because it's my opinion and if there's people out there that don't like what I'm saying can simply ignore it. But anyways I can relate because I felt the same exact way when Michael JaJackson died on June 25, 2009 five days bebefore my actual birthday. I loved him and everything he's did for a positive impact on our world since I was able to see and understand English which was all my life. Basically my point is sometimes it doesn't matter when you can't explain how you just know or feel about people becauseas long as yyou know the feeling you get inside your heart hopefully a good feeling. You should be happy knowing you are connected to them in more than one way. R. I. P. M. J ♡♥♡♥♡♥ :)

• No, never.

• I feel sad when I hear those deaths. The one that got to me the most was the Sandy Hook one though, I actually cried when I found out about that one.

• Yes, hearing about the Delhi rape case and the sandy hook incident really broke my heart.

• Once, when I heard about the (innocent) Michael browns death

• it hurts a lot especially when someone innocent , dies.. someone who has no idea, just someone on the street..

• Yeah basically whenever I hear about anyone's death on the news. Makes me almost cry

• Of course it always shocks me a little bit. But people die everywhere. Whether they die in a hospital due to cancer, or some crazy radical muslims killed them, does it make a difference? Death is death. It's always sad. But the world goes on.

I remember listening to MJ one day, thinking "man, if this guy died, there would be no one who could replace him." And the next day, BAM! it hits the news that he died. And 3 weeks after that I see the world around me still going around, unaffected.

That's just how it is. You're sad but then it's just another stranger who died, not someone close to you, so your world doesn't break together.

• You are right. It does not change anything in my life. But their life is changing :(
      Life continues.. There is sometimes sadness, sometimes happiness.. Thanks for the opinion!