Skinny Shaming Is Real

** I don't intend to offend anyone in any way **

Skinny Shaming Is Real

I know fat shaming is a thing. Something important that is relevant to society now. But I think the fact that we're focusing on supporting those girls that are a little bit bigger, has caused us to turn our attention the other way.

How Is It Real?

Have you ever heard anyone say any of the following to a skinny person (or something like this):

- Go eat something.

- Are you anorexic?

- Are you bulemic?

- Are you sick?

- Do you have an eating disorder?

- Do you think that being skinny makes you prettier?

- You're so fake.

- You're too skinny.

- Real women have curves.

- Bones are for dogs.

- What's wrong with you?

- Do you starve yourself?

- You look like a skeleton

- Go gain some weight.

- You're not attractive.

If you have, that is proof that skinny shaming is a real thing.

Pop Culture

The picture above is from Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass music video, a video encouraging girls with a little more meat to accept themselves. Trainor is a positive role model for lots of young girls.

However, as she tries to encourage those women, she shames those who are skinny. She says: "Boys like a little more booty to hold the night." In my eyes, she's saying men don't like skinny women, which implies that in order for a man to love you, you can't be skinny. And I think it's things like this, skinny shaming in pop culture, that makes it seem okay to other people to skinny shame. Another example in pop culture would be Nicki Minaj's Anaconda. The whole song is one big f*ck you to skinny people, but the one line that stood out to me, and really surprised me was: "F*ck those skinny b*tches in the club." You absolutely can not deny the fact that she dislikes/ disapproves of skinny girls.

Social Media:

Skinny shaming online is pretty self explanatory. The acceptance of skinny shaming spread through social media. More people see it and more people think it's okay.

Just Remember:

There is beauty in everything, just not everyone sees it.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• Everyone is body shamed. Once upon a time everyone just would strive to be healthy and fit, and not belittle others. It'd be nice if we could go back to being like that I think.

• Fat women and feminist men skinny shame.

Don't let it get you down. Normal men who actually have dating options and no damaged self confidence love slim, physically fit women.

• Because you speak for all that is normal.
      I bow down before the King of normal.
      (as if you could possibly know every single "normal" person's preference...)

• 15d

I used to be very slim up until I was 30yrs ago. People would continuously walk up and say "You need to eat something" "You are just bones!""

I found it really humiliating but it seemed very acceptable to talk like that.

• Im naturally skinny and yes I can eat as much as I want but I won't get fat or gain weight... so should I worry that people won't like me anymore cuz Im too skinny?

• Different people have different preferences, the "war" between skinnies and chubbies is eternal.

s3.amazonaws.com/.../...-overweight-trhn86_low.jpg

• People shame the strangest things, because people can't tolerate differences

• I like think girls, I like thick/curvy girl, I care much more about the face, and much more so the personality

• Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one. If it's any consolation you will probably enjoy better health than the fatties, and live longer.

• That video is brilliant and the chick in blue is fucking gorgeous

• Yay !!! I am skinny, shame me.

• Lmao just here to say its not all about base or whatever and Meghan trainor is -7/10 and looks like she just got out of Pacific ocean

• We have snipers for that.

What Girls Said 16

• I've been on both sides of the spectrum for both skinny and fat shaming. I was a skinny kid, and people laughed at me for that. Then when I was fat, people laughed at me yet again. There's no pleasing anybody. Fat people get shamed... skinny people get shamed... everyone gets shamed for what they look like on the outside, but nobody ever takes into count what they are like on the inside. I guess physical appearance is everything in this society.

How about we stop criticizing people's bodies and focus on ourselves for once?

• I get skinny shamed all the time.

Like, no, I'm skinny but not diseased.

• 14d

Me and my sister have always been called anorexic since high school. But we can't help being thin, it's just our genes. Why should I be called looked at as less of a women when I'm not doing anything wrong?

Likewise there are also naturally bigger people, or people that have a medical condition and can't help their weight. Fat-shaming is pretty bad as well.

Why can't people stop believing that there is only one single way for people to look? For a population of over 7 billion, of course you are going to get variety. There's nothing wrong with that.

• yes i hate it... i am naturally think and gain weight very slow
    tired of questions why u r so thin

• I've struggled with being skinny and bullied because of it since I was a kid. I used to have kids make jokes about my weight and how I need to eat a burger and whatnot. People tell me you just need to eat and eat and eat. I try to tell people its not the easy for me. Especially because my metabolism is so fast, gaining weight is like a hit or miss for me. Although some people don't believe me but yeah its true. Some people are just naturally thin and just can't help, no matter what they eat, how many times they work out, etc. Our bodies are all built differently. I feel like we skinny girls though get bashed the most because we are so thin. Some people, like me myself can't do anything about being thin, its just the way I was born.

• I have a problem with the following things, and here are my reasons:

- Are you anorexic?
    That's a mental illness. Someone who is too skinny COULD be anorexic, which is very, very dangerous and a horrible way to life. If you think that someone is anorexic, you should observe and ask and see what they say.

- Are you bulemic?
    Same as above.

- Do you have an eating disorder?
    Same as above.

- You're too skinny.
    There is such a thing as too skinny, just as there is for too fat. When you can't get out of bed because you are so fat, you have a problem. If you can barely move because you are so exhausted because you are so skinny and malnutritioned, there's a problem. Obviously those are extremes, but they are still applicable to people that are too skinny (or too overweight).

- Do you starve yourself?
    Valid question. If they look like they are starving themselves, you should be concerned and observe/ask!

- Go gain some weight.
    Maybe don't say it so brash, but you should encourage extremely skinny people to gain a healthy amount of weight.

Now, with that said, if people are saying this to people that are barely underweight, and they do NOT show any signs of having some form of eating disorder, you should not shame someone for being too skinny.

My best friend from elementary/middle/high school was pretty skinny. She was like 10-15 lbs underweight. But if someone actually knew her they would never call her any of those things. However, people that didn't know her said those things all the time and it really hurt her.

I just want those questions to be asked in an appropriate way when someone is showing signs. I just wanted to make sure that people don't think those are always 100% skinny shaming, because those questions are not, it's all about the intent behind it! If you are coming from a positive place, those questions are not bad or shaming. If you are trying to hurt them or make them feel bad, then that's obviously shaming and not okay in the slightest.

• I always think people body shaming others are so ignorant. Saying a body is unrealistic is stupid. Natural or unnatural. Everything is possible. Naturally skinny is possible, and "unnaturally" skinny is possible, as is unnaturally curvy and naturally curvy. Let people look how they want to look like. And everyone have different preferences, some people love skinny people some people love larger people... People can't speak for everyone else because at the end of the day, everyone is different.

I've had some very skinny friends and it was so sad how they were bullied in class, saying those exact comments you mentioned. They cried and not even the teacher bat an eye lid about it or told them to stop.

I do believe people can choose how they look like, as long as they are not putting a harm to their health to the point that they can die. Being anorexic and being skinny are two completely different things, and you can tell a difference. And being obese and being a healthily plump is a big difference.

• Yes yes yes!
    I've been fat and then developed an eating disorder and became underweight and ill. ( recovered ) I was " shamed " when i was fat and thin. Both hurt.
    Many overweight people though think that for some reason, fat shaming hurt's more ( it's not a competition of which hurts more! ) There are all kind's of " shaming " and both are equally rude and hurtful.

• I kinda disagree with your premise here, which is that people typically shame skinny and accept fat ones. But that's not really true, it's way worse than that.

People don't accept fat women at all. It's curves that they accept and praise. People like Kim Kardashian or Nicky minaj, or whatever Instagram model is in style these days.
    And that's not realistic for anyone. Well most women. It doesn't matter if you can't gain weight or can't lose it, you probably won't look like the girls in the first picture you posted. Even women that get so much praise for their bodies, like let's say jen selter don't look like that. She is fairly open about having had butt surgery. It's not common to have a tiny, flat stomach and massive butt and boobs. It doesn't work like that. And yet that is what is praised and advertised. And chubby girls feel bad because they can't live up to that, and skinny girls feel the same way. No one wins here really

I also I really am baffled that people always pick on the all about the bass thing, because Anaconda came out about the same time and as there ever been more body shaming in a song, ever?

"By the way, what he say?
    He can tell I ain't missing no meals"

"He keep telling me it's real, that he love my sex appeal
    He said he don't like 'em boney, he want something he can grab
    So I pulled up in the Jag, and I hit 'em with the jab like..."

"Little in the middle but she got much back
    Oh my God (look at her butt)

My Anaconda don't...
    My Anaconda don't...
    My Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun"

"Yeah, he love this fat ass
    Yeah! This one is for my bitches with a fat ass in the fucking club
    I said, "Where my fat ass big bitches in the club?"
    Fuck them skinny bitches,
    Fuck them skinny bitches in the club
    I wanna see all the big fat ass bitches in the motherfucking club"

I know you mentioned Anaconda but it's amazing to me this isn't more obvious to everyone. And notice she doesn't say she wants fat bitches? No she wants " fat ass bitches"

• If by "people" you mean "black people", then yes.

• Yeah yeah yeah. I'm just delusional. Maybe so. In any case, like I said. In your OP, you're essentially talking about sexual preference as the definition of acceptance. "They are praised." Fat people are praised, too. Just in a different way. That was my point. Sexual preference doesn't equal social acceptance. That's all. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong about male preference, I don't really know. But fat people are definitely accepted, these days. Doesn't mean people think they're attractive. But it does mean they support them and defend them.

• @Rawrzz

• I agree completely with you! As a naturally skinny woman- I literally can't gain weight over 115 lbs and I just naturally have a quick metabolism and my active lifestyle adds to it. You have no idea how many times I've seen posts like the ones you've listed about how all skinny girls are dieting bitches or we're unhealthy or a bad role model? Plus it's even worse to hear men talk about how they want something to hold, etc... :/

• Oh boohoo if Nicky Minaj song offwnds you. It is a fucking joke. It's popular because it is so damn stupid. And pretty much porn to some guys. SOME guys.
    But yes skinny shaming is real. I hate it when people put others down to get their point clear. All women can be beautiful women. It has nothing to do with body shape.

• We should just call it body shaming in general males and females are constantly getting shamed for their body type no matter what and are treated like skinny is too skinny curvy is too curvy. Society will never be happy, I've had friend called fat and friends called too skinny it's pretty awful.

• I think shaming of any kind is awful. I think being thin, as long as it's natural is a wonderful thing. People making assumptions that you don't eat enough or that only real women have curves... is traumatic. I just don't get why people have to make people feel ashamed for what they are.

My advice is to feel comfortable in your own skin: ignore the haters and be proud of who you are and how nature made you :)

• I guess because people don't understand that some people are naturally skinny, they think that if someone is too skinny it's because she/he starve themselves & exercise too much or is maybe even anorexic.

People need to understand that some people are just genetically like that. Some have GI tract problems.. etc.

• I guess the lesson to be learned here is just accept yourself the way you are and try not to let your feelings get hurt. I'm sure you could shame anyone for just about anything, but to stop allowing it to hurt you is how you'll truly be at peace.

• I 100% agree. My doctor has asked me a hundred times if I eat anything. My answer being yeah I eat like a pig I just don't gain wait. It's really annoying that people just assume I'm hurting myself to look the way I do. I'm 100% me. Leave me alone about it