Why do men in the military marry so fast?

Why the rush. Why not just take your time. I see this a lot with men who have been in the military for years who just marry quickly. Doesn't that lead to divorce?

Most Helpful Guy

• The benefits. Free housing for your wife and kids and for yourself when you return to the states. It's not. Terrible setup.

I also think it's fairly common that women find military men and pressure me to marry to get the benefits

What Guys Said 9

• Because once a servicemen is married they get additional pay and Married housing and more welfare and less being called out to do field services.

• ok cool. never knew that.

• wow... now I see why they get married so fast. But can that lead to high divorce rates if people are just only going at marriage for the benefits.

• yes it does , but seeing how the benefit stays.. . Veteran Benefits and all that its still a VERY attractive prospect for most people.
      Servicemen often stay as reserves even after they retire so a military service is a life time commitment , and with such a commitment , the country serves you back.

• I would say that living with life or death as your daily reality, makes you think about your future. Carpe Diem.
    Some men do it for the money. I once met a stripper that got married to 5 different servicemen because they asked her to because of the benefits. She got money out of the deal as well in each case.

• wow that is kind of scary. 5 service men? I guess you have to do what you have to do to survive.

• I just think less of them men who did it for the money. It's sleazy

• Marriage gives a man someone to come back to and helps to prevent them from chasing down every prostitute in various ports.

• ok I see. But I have many guys who cheat even when married. its sad.

• People in the military often marry quickly because they realize how quickly their life can end. People keep mentioning the money but that's not the reason. If soomeone who has been in the military realized they may love someone, it is fully possiblt ehy may want to marry because they live a life that may be very short and they want to spend that life with someone they love and they want to live that life. It's a mater of they know their life may be short. It can lead to divorce just as asily as a non-military couple. People who have dated for decades and then finally get married can just as easily get divorced. Quick marriages do not equal divorce.

• I agree with you. And also I have seen military men engaged with one women they "LOVED" but were still messing around or dating other women when stationed at a different state. It is really sad. But i don't know that is just my opinion.

• They get more money and don't have to live in the dorms.

• all it says is that due to their maturity, experience and skill they are more marketable than most.

• I guess they need more emotional support than men in other lines of work. Plus they fear that they might die soon. Plus military men are probably on average more traditional minded than the average man

• Because they are idiotic tools of war

• they have a career

What Girls Said 6

• 1. The benefits are better. You get a housing allowance and dependent pay which is a huge pay check bump. Also dependents are eligible for free/cheap medical care/insurance depending on the location

2. A lot of times the military will move you around the country/world and the only way to bring the people you care about with you is to be married. You can't just get married if you find out your due to move either-they have to be on the military member's paperwork beforehand if the military is expected to pay for them during move

3. Depending on location/rank you might be forced to live on base if you are not married

4. There might be some truth to the whole dangerous line of work thing other people commented on but honestly the benefits and constant moving seem to be the big one from my experience being around military people.

• Because they get extra BAH money (Housing allowance) for being married. Also I'm sure the danger of the situation adds extra pressure (provided they are deployed) to the relationship because it assures his or her spouse will be taken care of while they are away/if something happens dependent on rank and what not.

• Really care about the person and those financial benefits.

• From what I am learning it is all about the benefits. Do military me often marry for the wrong reason? If someone is marrying for benefits can that lead to a divorce if that is the sole reason.

• I mean the wife and children get pretty good benefits as well. But I don't know the branch or field they're going into. If it were combat then I guess it'd also be a combo of experience having a love back home.

• as former military I've know guys who have married friends for the extra benefits. obviously thats not the only reason, a lot of them just want to provide security for their families. medical insurance and such

• They get a lot more Benifits and Money as well as someone to come back home to. I hve a guy in the military that keeps asking me to marry him so I can stay in his house while he is fine as well as have his children

• While he is gone *

• Exactly but my military guy doesn't want me to work so I guess I'd be a stay at home mom and master work with my kids

• Don't let that be your only job if that is what you want. Still try to get ahead in life.

• I think a women who sticks with you through this is the right women to marry. Maybe thats why

• I have a friend that is married to a guy in the army. They get married early because anything can happen and they get killed. They would rather be married to their love early than to not be able to get married at all.