Would you marry a guy who wants a prenup?

I hope to find true love one day but I would never marry a woman without a prenup, that says I get to keep my house and money. I know guys who have been married for years and then their wives have just left and taken half of everything they worked their lives for. I would never get married without one, and was wondering what girls think of a guy wanting a prenup.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't like to get married without a prenup either! It's not because it's saying we won't last, it's not because the guy doesn't trust me etc. I want the marriage to be about love, not material goods and that's the proof - prenup and man, you're guaranteed I'm not marrying you for your money and things you have.

I can't stand those men claiming that marriage is only good for women and guys are basically in deep troubles if they get married. No, they are not if they are clever and sign the prenup! It's a proof the woman doesn't marry him for his money.

And although I am a very positive person, I was taught by my experience with my fiancee that anything can happen. Always plan for the worst - that's my life motto.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've said this before and I'll say it again, prenups are useless, get tossed out and not 100% secure. Your best bet is just not getting married in first place. Even in a long term relationship/de facto/living together for 2-3 years, a woman can legally still screw you over the same way like in marriage if she gets a good lawyer.

Ohh yes my friend you don't have a choice when you get in to relationships/commitment with a woman... these feminists know what they're doing and they got us by the balls. Why do you think MGTOW exists? a lot of men are pulling out and would just rather get laid, sleep with whores, friends with benefits and have short term relationships becuase its our only option feminists have left us. Any right minded individual or decent guy would boycott commitment with women when they realise we are discriminated by toxic feminist laws.

MGTOW was created becuase of feminism, otherwise it wouldn't exist and I wouldn't be a part of it.

If you get a notarized it can't be thrown out but you have to hold onto the receipts from anything that you purchased specifically for yourself along with proof of payments made on anything used by both parties that is in both of your names. If there's a split in ownership, there's also the ability to split the value if a divorce occurs and a good lawyer will fight for that especially if you made her sign a prenup before marriage.

If done in good faith and honestly the prenup shouldn't harm either party as long as even work is done in the relationship. The only time it really hurts women is when they're a stay at home wife and have contributed nothing financially to the relationship with the exception of spending. That's when it gets murky because of everything being yours. But a prenup is a prenup.

They are harder throw out than most people think:

www.cnbc.com/.../...be-hard-to-do-lawyers-say.html

What Girls Said 69

• Yes, because he is entitled to keep what he has worked hard for. Refusing to sign one would suggest that the woman in question is bargaining on taking some of what's rightfully yours.

That's a wonderful answer :) Glad there is someone with common sense and heart!

Exactly!
      People lack common sense and understanding!
      Besides, a prenup is like owning guns: You hope it won't come to times of using them for self defense but the reality is, something CAN happen ANYTIME and if it DOES, you are prepared.

Signing a prenup doesn't mean you lack trust, yet there are some girls as you can see, who say so but the real problem here is, that they aren't understanding the concerns of their partner and aren't willing to think realistically and in the future. After all love is about trust and caring. Breaking up for that means they aren't caring as they think they are.

Man... So many people doing stupid shit.

• I would want a prenup too. But the thing you have to realize is that very few people own a home without the help and support of a spouse. The majority of women work now of days too, so it's not just the man working to pay the mortgage. So that house really isn't just your house unless you have paid for it before she comes into your life or if you don't have her pay for anything. And even then, it should be an arrangement between you two. She works, just maybe not for money. Taking care of the kids and the house while managing other things is a full time job in of itself. I would say she should be entitled to at least some things or some percentage of the assets.

I often think people think and say that their ex spouse took all these things away from them. But I've heard a very different side of some of these stories. I've heard people who said they GAVE their ex girlfriend, spouse, ex boyfriend, etc... the house, or the car. Sometimes it's not about the monetary value. But about getting away from that situation. Some people truly like to cut their losses.

Plus you don't know someone's situation 100%. A buddy may say that their girlfriend or wife took them for a ride, but you don't know if that is in fact true. Just because a friend says that, doesn't mean it's fact. Everyone is guilty of elaborating stories and lying about things and leaving out important details to make themselves appear better.

When people are hurt, they want people on their side. They will say things to make you want to take their side. Remember that next time one of your friends calls their partner crazy or mean. What was the other side of the situation?

I know I would personally hate it if I worked hard for something, helped to support my future husband and helped pay for the mortgage and bills and painted the walls by hand and cleaned the house on a regular basis, helped to pay maintenance of the house. And then have a guy say that I am trying to take HIS house. Well if we are both paying the mortgage, then it's not just his house. It's our house, and we will have to figure out an arrangement that works for both of us.

• I wouldn't marry him. Not because I want his money at all but because he's already decided we'll end up divorced and I don't want to live with someone who's that negative about me. Why stay with someone or marry someone you don't trust?

• No, by wanting a prenuptial agreement he is conceding to the probability of divorce in his mind.

Before my husband and I married we both agreed that "Divorce is not an option, Ever!" We believe that taking divorce out of the rules of engagement that it lessens the chances of divorce being a final outcome of our marriage. Now, if there were some sort of no divorce clause, up to and including Seperation with counseling I would sign that.

Divorce is too easy and acceptable in today's society, only when couples put their foot down and say (and mean it) Never in our house, will things ever begin to change. Naive? Nope, I just love my man with all my heart.

I'm gonna be honest here, many women do not have the same mentality that you do. Guys have every reason to be afraid of marriage because when we get divorced we basically lose everything. Many women pretend to be interested in the guy and set up a trap into marrying him just for his assets. If not, then sometimes bad things happen. I'm just speaking from a realistic point of view.

• I would have absolutely no problem with a guy wanting a prenup. If I were going into a marriage with assets I wanted to protect, I would want a prenup for myself. Sure, it's unromantic, but it's practical and only in place for worst case scenarios. You can't predict the future and being safe now is always better than being sorry later.

• yeah I would.. I don't see a problem with it.. of course marriage should be for love but we don't know the future.. and who knows how it might end.. so if he wants to protect his money then why not.. it's his money not mine.. I'd do the same with my money.. and people who say it's about trust and blah blah should really think again because if you're signing a prenup.. it basically makes sure one's not marrying the other for money.. hence there is more trust..

• Before I'd say yes, but no. I would not. I'm sorry, a prenup is basically you admitting we won't last. On top of that, you don't trust me. I get it, women are gold diggers blah blah blah. But if for the whatever years we know each other and date before even getting engaged aren't enough proof for you to finally let your guard down, trust and love me, then we can sign endless amount of papers but it'll never happen.
    Sorry but no.

This is why I date poor guys, even prefer them or unemployed guys, they're not going to question me why I'm with them, they're more likely to trust you, and you cannot have love without trust. You can't.

That's sort of like saying "Car insurance means we basically will get into an accident" it's a safety net

@gmanhotman thank you lol
      This is why I find prenuptial to be insulting, I'm in this forever, if you have any doubts, we're just not meant to be. Provided there's no infidelity between us, I'm willing to work things out

@Buchitabuchys sounds reasonable.

• Depends on whether you currently have a house or money but if we got together before that then whatever we will have we will have built together and both deserve an equal share, depending on who is going to be keeping the kids deserves to keep the family home at least until the youngest is raised then it should be divided equally or one buys the other out. Its also very important to recognise the real sacrifice a woman makes by bringing her partners child into the world, plus the sacrifice she makes if she chooses not to work. If a woman has three kids thats nearly tens years minimum she gives up if she decides to become a stay at home mom until the youngest is old enough for school, a ten year career break and loss of earnings is a lot for a woman to consider if a man wants her to sign a pre nup. It would be my worst nightmare for me personally to sign a prenup and have my future husband's kids only fot him to dump us and leave us homless for a younger woman, if I were to marry I would need to be assured of my future husband's commitment more than an expensive diamond ring.

• Depending on what is in the prenup. Obviously, anything that is yours prior to the marriage should def stay with you no questions asked, but if it's things that were purchased during the marriage that should def get split up, but at least you don't lose your ass on a greedy bitch.

I absoluetly would and wouldn't be offended, because I know that if things went sour (say a cheating husband, would def irk my last nerve) I would go after everything they new and loved. That being said, I would totally agree to protect themselves, from me lol

• Yeah, as long as you take care of any kids we have together if we split, I don't need your money or your stuff and you don't need mine.

If you wanna give me some money I'm totally okay taking 'em, it would be rude of me to refuse.

Why do you think I was talking about any kind of relationship? I just want some money :/

• Why not, I would only hope that if we did divorce they have enough decency to want to make sure i'm okay in the end and vice versa.

• Yes, I'm due my inheritance when I'm 25. I've got to protect my money.

Although prenups are not valid in my country.

• Yea i would.. Id feel bad about it coz thats a sign u dnt trust me or u see a failure somwea along our marriage but am sure my love wld b strong.. Anyway, id also b a rich wife too so while you saving yourself incase of anything, ud also b saving me..

• yeah I'd marry him. everyone has a right to protect themselves. say a doctor fell in love with a cashier, the doc wants to make sure the cashier really loves him and isn't just marrying him for the money

Interesting way to bounce the "but don't you love me" card back, I like it!

• I honestly don't know hoe I feel about it. Like, to me it feels so untrusting. If you have any fear that your spouse is going to fuck you over if it doesn't work out why are you even marrying them?

Because you hear it all the time how they were 100% sure that they were marrying the love of their life and that nothing could go wrong. But it did.

pre-marital instrument -- just so that they could actually have some sort of dialogue about this stuff, and not just avoid the issue altogether until it's too late. In the same way it would be nice if there were some sort of mandatory counseling for couples before they got married, and all that.
      If it were mandatory, then that would take away a lot of the feeling of opprobrium associated with it.

@redeyemindtricks I completely agree with what you said. With that being stated though, I do not like the bias governments tend to have when it comes to marriages/divorces. This just makes it fair for what both people think is reasonable, not what the government thinks is reasonable.

• No, just because I don't feel comfortable with that idea of getting married with divorce in mind.
    But recently I came across an article by religious person who actually said that it's better to do so/ the pre nup.

I was a bit shocked.

But anyway, I am still trying to understand it better.

I recently learned prenup is actually a marriage contract, correct me if I am wrong.. and by that I mean in the contract you can put your conditions that you both agree to.

So yeah, when I started to learn more about it, I kind of eased in to the idea but not to the point where I am perfectly okay with it.

When I see or hear marriage I think of nikah/the way we do it instead of the court marriage etc.

So in our way of marriage, all the things are already made clear; the procedure of divorce, who has to give what etc.
    The scenario you gave, in that case it does sound like a good idea to have a prenup but eh I don't know.

I don't really see the issue. You can take it as 'doomed to fail' or you can see it as the logical 'if shit does hit the fan then I keep all my hard earned ___ I spent years of my life acquiring'. Rather than the other person being spiteful and trying to take everything, or just genuinely arguing over everything. Each person believing it's theirs.

It's kind of like someone suggesting you wear a harness when you're walking along the side of a cliff/roof/etc. Chances of falling may be very low, but if/when you do, you're really glad it's there.

But in reality a lot of relationships and marriages don't last long, so it's almost necessary for everyone in my opinion.

• Yes, because anyone worth being with would respect your decision. If she's upset by it, she clearly isn't all in for the love. You never know how a relationship is going to end its the practicle thing to do

• I wouldn't marry a guy who wouldn't want a prenup.
    In case of a divorce I just need to know my belongings are safe!

• Why not, i don't mind, i mean i get custody of my babies, its enough for me, i don't want to take from him. The divorce laws are really strict on men.

• Sure, no problem. I don't want him taking MY money either if we split lmao (that's if I manage to save it instead of spending it all on clothes lol)

• I would, because I would do the same. Lol! Marriage is not a guarantee... I probably wouldn't marry to begin with. A promise ring is enough. As long as he loves me & gives me attention. 😂👍

Eh why would you do it, your a woman lol Marriage benefits women and women have never married beneath to lose anything since courts favor women. We live in a gynocentrism society that constantly caters for women's needs and privilege. How can you not see that? I think your talking shit.

How many wealthy women do you see commiting to cleaners, builders as such or just men with no resources? An us men are not wired that way anyway, we don't see women like ATM machines like you see us men.

You go girl 💖💖

• I would. Although i would be kinda hurt, because if he really does know me, he would know that I'm incapable of tricking him like that and leaving high and dry. He would also know that I'm not after riches. So that would make a prenup unnecessary if you're marry ing me.

Try to understand that it's not an attack against you personally. Many people trust their partners with their whole being, and end up being screwed over if the relationship ends. These days we have to protect our assets no matter who we're with. It's sad that the world has become this way, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

@helpmealitttle I know it's the "smarter" step to take, but it still shows a lack of trust in me

I understand. I've felt similar before, until I had assets worth protecting. I know all too well how many people have changed the opinions on matters like these. It's not worth the risk, in my opinion.

• I would marry him, and I do understand why a prenup is a clever thing to do. Many people don't believe they get divorced, but the end up doing it anyway. That is what makes marriage very tricky. But I still believe marriages can work, as my whole family is still married.

How I feel about prenups... it's clever, but I wouldn't appreciate it if it was my man's decision. I would never ever do these terrible things to my guy, and wanting a prenup sounds to me like he doesn't trust me enough.

• As a future lawyer I have no problem, I would eagerly do that.
    I agree, It is somehow as if we already plan to divorce, but that can have its pluses for us and our children.(If we have one)
    I do not marry to get my husband's property, thus it shouldn't be a problem.

• No. Your already self prophecizing the end of our marriage. I dont need my spouse to be negative. Relationships already end because people see divorce as a thing that could happen.
    You want a prenup that's cool but you aren't for me and you should find someone who is ok with it.

Do you have health insurance?
      Do you have life insurance?

Or do you think buying those things is "negative" as well?

You have zero clue, and you're in denial about how relevant the need for financial protection is. You probably don't buy health insurance either.

@Belgie lol. Im in denial? How do you know i dont pay child support? What is it you pay?

• Of course. Prenup and postnup for extra security if they wanted.

You're of a rare breed if you're being honest.

@Gommers haha there's good, bad, and ugly in every crew... you just have to have a strong filter system to get rid of all the rotten people

Haha I thought I had it figured out too, just keep picking bad ones I guess.

Thanks for the encouragement. Peace, sister.

• I would only marry someone who wants a prenup. I'm not prepared to get married without one.

• Seems fair to me. I've never understood why divorces dont already work like that. If you had something before the marriage, you should get to keep it. Maybe your future wife also has things that she wants to keep. Of course you would never assume divorce is going to happen, but there is nothing you can do if the other person wants one so you may as well protect yourself

• It wouldn't matter to me, I would just want him always so I'd sign whatever to make him feel comfortable and secure.

• I don't see the problem with them.

• More from Girls
    39

What Guys Said 27

• any guy without a prenup is a fucking moron of the highest order.

women initiate 70% of divorce. women are favored in divorce 7 to 1 (in USA and similar in Europe, australia, etc.)

nuff said... you shouldn't even get married but if you do, for fucks sake be a real man and protect yourself AND YOUR ASSETS.

• I would insist on a Prenup. Men, check with an Attorney where you live to find out how effective they are in your area. There is a wrong way and a right way to get a Prenup.

Women initiate divorces 70% of the time. He will loose 50% or more of his assets in the divorce.

Go to the link below and Listen to what a Marriage Attorney has to say about Marriage in California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW6AlorcAK0

• You'd best do more research. A prenup is basically worthless. Women have no problems getting them thrown out. All she has to do is say she didn't understand it or she signed it under duress, and poof, it's gone. And you refusing to marry without one counts as her being under duress.

In fact, research why you, being a man, shouldn't get married. When you see just how the System, it's laws, and female nature are all against you, chances are you'll rethink marriage. Assuming you have any ability to use reason and logic, of course. Some men don't have the capacity.

They are always challenged, but typically hard to throw out.

Of course you always here about the ones that are thrown out in the news, it makes it seem like they are easier to throw out than they are.

@genuinlysensitive

Are you willing to take the chance? I'm not. I've read about judges that love to throw them out. And lawyers that have said a prenup is just one more way for lawyers to get money out of people.

I know too much about marriage, divorce, and female nature to ever chain myself to a woman again, regardless of the presence of a contract that might not even be enforced, based solely on a judge's whim. Nope, nope, nope. Not happening.

• If they don't, you've saved yourself from a gold digger xD

Wonderful answer xD :D Yet so true :> :) HIGH FIVE!!!

• Do you now what a prenuptial agreement is? It is a simple contract.
    How much do you think it costs to defend a prenuptial agreement when it is contested in a court of law? No contract is iron clad, and yes they often are contested when large settlements can be found.
    Don't believe me? Ask Ivana Trump.
    Most attorneys will advise against a prenuptial agreement under most circumstances except where significant assets require it.

Just my opinion

• As a future attorney I can unequivocally can tell you that it's very
    foolish NOT to have a prenup. Men have ZERO rights in divorce court,
    I've seen this time and time again.

• Man there's so many debates and arguments about marriage... I just wanna find my true love and be with her, I don't think that marriage is really important unless you're religious.

• I wouldn't get married without one, don't really want to get married honestly.
    If I did I want to protect the shit I worked for.

• They really don't offer that much protection, judges throw them out a the time.

• In many places, pre-nups are not legally binding.

• I think it's wise for everyone to protect their assets. In life we should always prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

• If it's true love, why would you need a prenup?

Because love isn't enough. You hope that this person you're marrying would be decent enough to just walk away if it didn't work out, but unfortunately that isn't always the case. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Lol you always THINK it's true love, until you find out she was lying to you and slutting it up on Tinder behind your back...

Ouch. That sucks

• Those things can get tossed out of court. If you don't want to lose your home and cash don't get married.

• Yes or no is impossible here. If you want to marry someone who already has a lot of wealth then you should expect a prenup. If, however, you both start from the same financial level then you should be working together and accept your partner 'for better or worse'. That's what marriage is all about. If you want to guarantee to keep all the money you have earned the don't het married, just hire a whore for the weekend occasionally.

• Fuck yeah, I'd only marry women if we had prenups.

I know men who are on their third wives already and are paying alimony with more than one job. Their lives were ruined because of marriage and divorce.

• What is that?

• She should! Responsible planning by a man should be considered a GOOD trait for him to have!

• Prenup is good can't trust anyone anymore. i've seen something like that happen in my family from the last person i would expect to do that. so i'll definitely go for prenup, it's not that i don't love the woman i'm with, but it's because if things go sour most women try to get back at you somehow, and taking your money could be a way of revenge even if they don't really need it.

• I look at pre ups the way I look at my guns. I hope I'll never need them, but I want to have them if I do. In other words, it's better to have them and never need them than it is to need them and be without them.

• I would not marry without one man.

• Same here

• considering that i want cheat on her
    prenup is good

• Well I want one Madame. 😛.

• The only woman I would marry without a prenup is my ex-fiancée. She was a wonderful woman with a huge heart, and she was a hardcore devout traditional Catholic (pre-Vatican 2) for whom divorce was absolutely not an option that would even pass through her mind. There are a lot of Christians-in-name-only, but she was the real deal.

The only reason we broke up was because I fell away from Catholicism, and she couldn't compromise on anything, because she was so serious about her beliefs. She honestly should be a nun, but she wanted to marry and have children.

• Prenups get thrown out all the time, and there might still be some way to fuck you up... You'll also get nagged to an early death

FUCK MARRIAGE!!

• women have no choice. Guys are not signing their life away. No way

ahah damn xD

#Afrochick We will never suffer the same fate as my fathers generation. Women have arms and legs... they must work and make their own money. I don't want anyone leaching my career income just for her. Those days are long gone.

• Prenups can get thrown out on a Judges whim so of course women will say yeah. It's basically saying sure have your false hope of us not fucking u over in divorce.