10 Scary Places in the World You Don't Want to Visit

1. Island of the Dolls, Mexico

Xochimilco is a district of Mexico City that contains an extensive system of canals and artificial islands, or chinampas, the most famous of which belonged to a man named Julian Santana Barrera. After he discovered the body of a dead girl in a nearby canal, he began collecting discarded dolls and doll parts, which he would hang from the trees on his island in an attempt to ward off evil spirits. Mr Barrera died in 2001, but the dolls remain, and the creepy island can be visited by boat.

2. The Hill of Crosses, Lithuania

The Hill of Crosses is a Catholic pilgrimage site that was established in the 1830s. It is thought to contain at least 100,000 crosses and giant crucifixes, and was been described by Pope John Paul II as a place for hope, peace and love. You wouldn't want to spend the night here alone, however.

3. Paris Catacombs

This underground ossuary contains the remains of some six million people. Its countless caverns and tunnels extend for 280km beneath the city and were used by the French Resistance during the Second World War. They are open to tourists in search of the macabre - an entrance can be found at Place Denfert Rochereau. Similar catacombs can also be found in Rome and Palermo.

4. Pripyat, Ukraine

There is something undeniably disconcerting about a ghost town, and it's not just the name. Prypiat, within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, was founded in 1970 to house workers at the doomed power plant, and was subsequently abandoned in 1986 after the disaster. Tourists can now visit.

5. Stanley Hotel, Colorado, USA

Situated high in the Colorado Rockies, this reputedly haunted hotel was the inspiration for Stephen King’s spine-chilling novel The Shining. The idea came to King during a stay in room 217, but it’s room 418 – believed to be visited by the ghost of Lord Dunraven – that is considered to be the hotel’s most haunted. Guests and staff have also reported hearing children playing in the corridors late at night, and piano music coming from the empty ballroom.

6. Battleship Island, Japan

This island can be found not far from the city of Nagasaki. It was originally used as a coal mine, but after the popularization of petroleum, this place was abandoned. It has been called “Ghost Island” since then.

7. Security Prison 21, Cambodia

Prisons aren't the best spots to have a nice little walk in, but some of them are turned into the museums and are opened for public. Security Prison 21 in Cambodia is a former high school which was used as a modern inquisition underground between 1975 and 1979. Up to 20,000 people never left this place alive.

8. Plague Pit, Italy

The Poveglia Island is known as a place where people infected with plague were kept during the "dark times." You can imagine the atmosphere there. Later on, there was built a mental hospital with doctor who is believed to torture poor people kept in there. This island is closed to visitors for good, and it's better to stay that way forever.

9. Snake Island

The only way this island could be more terrifying is if it were actually made of floating snakes. And for all intents and purposes, it may as well be. Ilha da Queimada Grande is a restricted island 93 miles south of Sao Paulo, Brazil and its home to an species of lethal pit viper known as the Golden Lancehead, which is one of the most venomous snakes in the entire world.

10. The Winchester Mystery House

With mile-long hallways, staircases to nowhere and doors that open into walls, this mysterious maze-like Victorian mansion in San Jose, California, boasts 160-rooms. The home was originally built by Sarah Winchester, the wealthy widow of William Wirt Winchester (son of the manufacturer of the Winchester repeating rifle). Sarah tragically lost both her daughter and husband to illness and later sought help from a spiritual advisor to overcome her depression. The medium warned Sarah that the Winchester family had been struck by a terrible curse, and would be haunted by the ghosts of the many deceased killed by the Winchester rifle. The only way to appease the dead according to the medium, was to build a house for the lost souls and never stop building. For 38 years, construction on the house continued for 24 hours a day, until Sarah died. Today, visitors to the home will want to look out for the many unlucky number 13's featured in the house design as they roam the haunted halls.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

• some of those places look pleasant :P but fuck the paris catacombs! they made a movie on that shit.

• The only ones that interest me are Pripyat and the Catacombs, the other ones not too much, since I don't believe in any paranormal thing, and I don't wanna go to an island to get bitten by snakes xD I saw a guy on TV who had to cut some of the skin of his leg cause he was bitten by a Russell Snake, I don't wanna have to do the same thing :S

• don't be a chicken Ale! :P

• I had a feeling of who this could be, but now I know for sure, I just didn't wanna get it wrong xD Perdon :P

• Perdon nada! :P

• I think I will go to the first and fourth place at the morning.

• why not at night?

• Because I am just for visiting and not conducting paranormal investigation.

• i´d have added australia... just the country as a whole... no explaynation needed :D

• ahh why though?

• But... i WANT to visit the chernobyl exclusion zone (that's whre you find pripyat). It's even very much possible to do so!
    just make sure to bring a radiation detector, a dust filter, and all the food/water has to be carried on you. The place is still very much radioactive, especially in areas like red forest (that area gives you a dangerous dose in a matter of hours, at most), and in water (all water is contaminated, no exceptions).

Did you know it's actually housing a pretty damn big construction site? Right next to the sarcoffagus (the concrete dome surrounding reactor 4 of chernobyl nuclear powerplant. The one that went kaboom on the 26th og April 1986)? They're building a new shelter.

Buuuut that's enough for now. I REALLY wana visit that place
    (cheeki breeki)

• I hope you get visit one day :)

• you should!! I would like to go also lol

• Hehe, don't forget the geiger counter and the water.
      Seriously, drinking zone water is like drinking poison. Especially if the water's coming from red forest.

What Girls Said 11

• Ohh God :o I freaking hate dolls!! Anything but clowns, dolls or insects...

• I WOULD LOOOOVE TO GO TO CHERNOBYL <3

• me too! i guess you been to the island of dolls? lol

• I have! Yeah, Mexico it's cool as hell. Actually my pp on facebook is one where I'm with the dolls LOL

• wow!!!

• I would go to all except for the area with the snakes.

• everyone is afraid of snakes lol

• Yea, I hate them! I used to have nightmares as a child and see them slithering everywhere when I woke up.

• aww :(

• I've been to The Hill of Crosses in Lithuania, even when it was really dark. It's not scary AT ALL!!

• Haha I knew about all of these paces - but that's because I'm obsessed with the macabre. xD

I always wanted to visit the Paris Catacombs =)

• very interesting take!! i'm having goosebumps now lol

• omg i don't like to join everything about horror places. i like everything about beauty places.

• i am not interested in visiting any of that places... not my thing, even though i like reading scary stuff lol :D
    i just don't want to see ugly snakes, nor ugly things that had happen in the bast like the ugly dolls.. ehhh...
    i would rather go visit a beautiful place, more positive feeling

• yes, it would be nice :)

• I would love to go to all of them. I love that sort of stuff, I would love to take a girlfriend with me ;)

• I would visit all those places except Snake Island!!! I would rather eat my own arm then step foot on a place infested with snakes.

• that's how I feel about it ahha

• Interesting take, I liked it!