Under 18 doesn't mean dumbass!

There seems to be this ongoing stigma toward any and everything under 18. As a 24 year old I have sympathy for the under 18 crowd and I remember what it was like when I was a teenager and being treated like an elementary school child. Though the brain doesn't fully mature until well into your 20s and 30s, that doesn't mean that a teenager is dumb. And clueless.

Under 18 doesn't mean dumbass...

Think back to when you were a teenager. Of course we all mature at different rates and some of us are a lot more sheltered than others but most of you knew the difference between right and wrong or creepy and not creepy.

Physical Attraction

We all see it every day. There is that young and insecure girl who wants to know how she looks so she posts a selfie and asks for honest opinions.

I literally googled "bikini selfie" and this was the 4th picture on the screen which is my whole point. You can't tell who this girl is or how old she is. If a girl who is 18+ posts a selfie like this, people will shower her with compliments and then there is always that occasional creeper who will say things like "mmm can I see more of you?" Regardless if she is under or over 18, the comments will be similar however she will likely have comments saying things such as "Sorry, I can't comment on this because you are under 18." Just because someone is under 18 doesn't mean that they can't be beautiful. Not everything has to be sexual. She will also likely receive lots of comments patronizing her about how unsafe it is to post pictures like these, despite the fact that she isn't showing her face and she posted anonymously.

Sex

This is a big one so I'll divided it up into 3 segments. If there is any sex related question asked by someone under 18, he or she will likely be condemned to death by the over 18 crowd telling him/her that they shouldn't be having sex until they are 18 but there are a few things wrong with this statement.

1.) Most people under 18 are well aware of what sex is, they know what STDs are, and they know of the importance of wearing a condom and avoiding pregnancy and all other consequences that can potentially arise from sex. In fact, I see many more adults making sex-related mistakes than teens. It's not uncommon for me to see someone who is barely 19 with a baby and another one on the way.

2.) Teenagers need to learn about sex. It's very important to learn as much as you need to know about it before you start doing it, especially when your hormones are going crazy during your teenage years and all you are thinking about sex. As long as they aren't moving outside of their legal limits of consent then there shouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't you rather them learn the easy way than the hard way? Teens asking sex related questions shows that they are being responsible enough to ask questions before they act on what they do.

3.) 18 is not the universal age of consent people! In most countries around the world it's 14-16. Even in most states within the US, it's under 18. In fact, some countries have ages of consent as low as 12 years old!!

They are not stupid

Last but not least, teenagers are people too. We've all done things that we shouldn't have been doing as teens like having sex, trading nudes, sneaking out, drinking etc. Even to this day as full grown adults, we still do things that we shouldn't be doing but most of us knew then and still know what we were/are doing and the possible consequences and risks of them despite our age. If creepy guy comments on a bikini selfie of a 15 year old telling her how much he wants to do her, she's just as likely to ignore or block him as someone who is over the age of 18. Why? Because she has a brain!! We are taught from early on "don't talk to strangers" and it never goes away. As we grow older, we start to learn why our parents told us these things and when it comes to those types of dangers, it doesn't take people anywhere close to 18 years to figure them out.

In conclusion

Teenage years are some of the hardest of our life when it comes to figuring ourselves out physically and mentally. In this gray area of life, the last thing you need is to be constantly told that you are "too young" or that you're wrong. Patronizing someone soley due to their age especially without giving them valid reasons does nothing but feed the insecurities and confusion in this stage of their lives. I know for sure that before I turned 18, I knew what right and wrong looked like. I knew about safe and unsafe and if I ever moved outside of those barriers, I was careful not to get myself hurt or in trouble just as well as do most adults.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 18

• In light of my myTake on the other spectrum of the older user, this is very well written and again proves that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Younger people have a lot to offer, maybe even more so with their active minds and the "what if" ability applied to their lives. Always seeking a new and improved way of doing something that many other older people are past giving things a chance.

I remember very well being a teen and how frustrating it was not getting respect as that person who just wanted to be regarded as a young adult instead of a child. Looking back though, no we didn't know everything about sex, but had a pretty good idea of what went where and why. It's encouraged to always keep learning. I'm 41 and I still enjoy learning more about our world every day, including things that people in their teens can teach me. So what if they're younger than me?

• I love this take! This is so true and I can totally relate! I've had so many people give me dirty looks when I tell them I'm 15- especially when I'm disagreeing with them. I often get told I'm too 'immature' to understand.
    Seriously though, it's crazy, I wrote a myTake about equality and how we should respect everyone no matter their sexuality, class, race etc. and somebody who was 25-30 (they were anonymous surprisingly) basically wrote:
    "You're too stupid and immature to understand. F*** you, you've never been through the s*** that they've been through. It's your duty to respect everyone."
    The last line literally epitomises my entire post.
    People automatically think of a stereotypical under 18 (especially teenagers) as too silly to understand! It's so annoying!
    I'm so glad you wrote this! I hope all the 18+ users who think under 18's are stupid read this.

• Most of them are too sensitive and lack tact to debate or disagree. In gag!

• Older guys telling a girl under 18 on some self validation selfie on her body are still disgusting and creepy for saying "oh your so hot, i'd fuck you!"

Girls under 18 taking pictures in little panties and asking validation questions is horrible.

And if it were women doing it to underage boys, it would be equally as disgusting

Anyone who does that is deemed a pedo regardless of how grown the underage girl or boy looks.

• Couldn't agree more! I think GAG is a great place for teenagers to learn about sex and relationships.

• Nice take 😄 a lot of the older people on here say patronizing stuff like that a lot but I just try my best to ignore it V (^_^) V

• YAY for this!

• I don't judge by age I judge by questions being asked and I see a lot of stupid questions being asked and surprisingly they are not be under 18 users. That doesn't change the fact that sometimes under 18 GaGer do ask inappropriate questions or questions that make me stretch my head and when people try to genuinely help them they want to clap back and talk about how mature they are or how GaG veterans are too old to answer lol and don't understand them. I personally just avoid answering their questions and use my better judgment to determine if it is worth answering based on how they react to previous opinions given or the question itself and I do give them a pass when I see their age.

• I've never had such negative experiences with them. I usually only get those from the over 18 crowd. The under 18s usually ask questions and I find that they are a lot less likely to respond to any opinions or advice unless it's very useful to their cause and then they will hastily pick a MHO once they get what they wanted. Also as far as the "GAG veterans" a lot of them irk me as well. I never hear anyone say "they are too old" but I know man (who's name I shall not mention) who think they are always right and no matter what you say, you won't change their mind. One such user is the whole reaason I made this take in the first place.

• Someone had said this on a question before and I agree that G@G should still create a "Under 18", and "Under 16". Sex is completely different when it comes to a 16+ year old than when it comes to a 16- year old. You can't tell what age anyone is when it just says "under 18", and I think that's where most of the negativity comes from.

• Completely agree. I'm about to be 18 and I've gotten comments like that just because it says I'm not 18 YET. I'm sexually active nd I know the risk and etc. Plus I've always acted older than I am when I was 15 ALL of my friends were seniors, 18, 19 years old. I think I can handle hearing about sexual stuff
    ESPECIALLY having all guy friends lol

• I give you and infinite round of applause! This is great 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏...

• I can't believe some of these comments trying to argue. That shows how immature adults can be--being 18 doesn't make you perfect.

• Hahaha, sooo true XD

Some people remain even childish at their 25 years and even up to senior years :D
      So point is: Filter who you listen to :P

• @Unit1 way ahead of ya there

• Omg i love this! All of it is so accurate

• Great take!

• Nice take! Good job :)

• Wow, I really liked this!
    People (+18) tend to see us as some prebubetus fetuses, when we actually know something, if not, we try to learn it.
    Thank you very much!

• people generalize , whether they admit or not ALL DA TIME.

• Awesome take, you really nailed it 👍🏼

• Great take! I agree with you completely!
    When teenagers go to parties to get wasted, have sex or do other stuff like that, they are shunned and deemed "misbehaving", but when adults "misbehave" they are just having fun. So, what's the difference, doesn't matter at what age you do it, as long as you have limits.

I have this problem with work, I'm 17 and can't get a job because of this. Does one year make that big of a difference?

• Adults are usually of the age too legally drink I never got drunk as a teenage because I wasn't in a rush to grow up and fit in with a crowd of people who 30% of them will be alcoholics trying to make things that are even more wrong right with other wrong things as an example where is the logic here we start letting teenagers be equal to people who are old enough to go to colleges are society will crumble doesn't any see that? Do you really thing the world will be a better place with 14-16 pornstars? Do you not realize making it okay for people to answer and ask minors questions sexually is the first step to this? By saying girls in their bra and underwear is how it'll begin if that is okay why wouldn't the others I can't agree with this and I never will anyone who understands how damaging this conversation is to the world as a whole? There will be no limits

• @SakuraChii
      Actually the age 21 drinking limit had something to do with politics. Http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=19437 had nothing to do with biology.

Not that I think one should drink a lot under 18, but just pointing out historic facts

• Yea 21 is a relatively old drinking age. Most countries allow drinking at around the age 18. I personally think drink is overly hyped up and I don't do it.

• How much below the age of 18 are we referring to? Because there is TOO young, like 13 or 14. Does all you say here apply to young teens and preteens?

• During your teenage years, I think it depends more on the individual, not the age.

What Guys Said 24

• How do I loose my virginity I've been trying for six years & still no lick

• yea this ole man still remembers how my youth (and the adults in it ) treated me , in fact I see many of todays youth posting much of the same issues I went through at their age. I have had a few on this site ask me if I could go back to that age would I ; my answer will remain the same , not no but hell no. I did my time in hell , and survived it. Do I have any sympathy for todays youth you may be wondering? in many cases yes I do ;so long as they are not making their situation that they complaining of , or worse ;making it worse. their are few differences today form when I was a youth other than the electronic age didn't come along until I was in my mid 20's.

• I'm 22 and I have mixed opinions on the topic. Although I myself as a teenager and many teenagers I've known/know today are somewhat rational and take time to think before they do, et cetra. Frankly, most teenagers are just dumb as hell.
    In my humble opinion one should make some general assessment about who's standing in front of them - whether it's a "smart" teen who really is making that effort to become an adult or if what's standing in front of you is literally a child who just happens to be over 13.
    It really depends. Teenagers are not just a homogeneous group equally made just as adults aren't.

• The article is great, but you start of saying how its not all about sex, but the whole thing is about sex...
    12 year old consent is just crazy, its a rule that was brought in because older men could easily manipulate and brainwash young girls to sleep with them.

I totally agree with the stupidity of the world these days though. Children are taught by stupid parents who are out of touch with reality. I think its almost safe to say that the generation of parents from 40's onwards are the least educated and worst influences on human history. We need the children (under 18's) to prove to these stupid parents that they are the people who typically influence racism, judgement and materialism to their children. Also I wanted to add, I am blown away by the intellect and abilities some of the under 18's have. To the teens ;)

• Sex is nowadays like taboo.

• Outstanding take! Excellent job!

I agree 100% with everything.

Brutes are going to be brutes. Bullies are going to be bullies. And I am going to remain awesome :)
    Age doesn't matter.

• damn that one pic of the girl in bra and panties got me so hard :)

• You're right, 18 and 19 year olds are also teenagers and should be considered equally retarded

• Barely more than a hundred years ago, 16 was considered the age of adulthood. I just find it stupid how everyone now treats anyone 16-18 still as a child, especially when it comes to sex.

"You're 20 and dating a 16 year old girl? You fucking pedophile!"
    Really? A guy that dates a sexually developed, mentally competent, and legally consenting girl is considered a "pedophile"? Even though pedophiles are attracted to prepubescent children? Okay...

I can tell you as someone who's 19, I share a lot in common with my 16-17 year old self. The only difference is I'm just wiser because of experiences and learning, otherwise I'm still pretty much the same person doing the same things.

• You fuckin' pedophile.

... kidding. ;p

• Not really statistically that goes for everything not just sex. Thats why teenagers are really considered high risk drivers they don't think things through and account for lots of car accidents.

• Statistically yes but you're saying it as though it's endemic. If you take 100 random teens and let them have all the sex they want, the majority of them will know the risks and the consequences of doing it.

• So because In some places it's 14-18 that makes it okay? Okay... Where I live it's 18 and I don't even like that, you're a weird one, I don't think any adult should be answering sexual questions to people who are under 18 I have to turn my head at 18 because there's nothing I can say about that but if it wasn't illegal i still don't like that either still it's a lot more appropriate than someone 13-17 (below 13 obviously but they're not allowed on this website so) I also don't believe it's okay too compliment an underage person in a bra and underwear no way it is, and you can't say that isn't sexualized they're almost naked how isn't that sexualized? No this is your opinion and in mine it's wrong I'm probably closer to the known legal age than you and even when iwas a teenage I thought it was wrong as a teenage i even thought flirting or being sexual with other minors who were close to my age was wrong, and my opinion you trying to make this right is wrong.

• I just turned 18 like a month ago, and literally there is no difference, I'm still immature. I have no gripe with -18 because they literally are the same as 18-20 year olds

• I was awesome when I was under 18, I'm awesome when I'm above 18 ✌ age doesn't matter.

1. I think your take problem has been solved ;)
    2. You became the hero of under 18 over night :D

• Under 18 doesn't mean dumb, but it does mean inexperienced.

I do remember what it was like to be a teen, and I really clearly remember how I thought I knew everything. Of course life taught me that it wasn't true, as it does to everyone.

Unless the person is one of those rare emancipated teens, their answers are coming from a worldview that doesn't extend beyond living with parents and the microcosm of high school.

They're entitled to their opinions, of course, but their opinions are not informed by life experience, which is invaluable and irreplaceable.

So, be respectful, but take such opinions for what they are.

• DAYMN that body. <3

And nice take.

• i agree... knowledge is knowledge, no matter the age.

• Thank you :')

• I loved this take. I hate it when i see an under 18 ask for any adivice related to sex and everyones like "sorry, dont give sex advice to under 18s. Dont have sex."

• www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1387543-why-do-you-hate-on-the-under-18-gagers-so-much reminds me of when i wrote that question + nice take man/ #Agreed

• Each country has it's own age of consent but what do you do about phone and online interactions? In international law the age of consent for sexual stuff is 18. If the age of consent in your country is 16 but you talk to someone online that is 17 about having sex or meeting them for sex or just sex in general too much then it's considered "grooming" and you can get charged. There's a huge grey area between innocently complimenting someone or talking about sexual things and "grooming" them and you're asking for trouble just going near it. Don't leave anything open to interpretation. If they are under 18 online, don't get involved. If they are under the age of consent and you know them in real life, don't get involved. Under 18 doesn't mean they are dumb or unattractive, but all that matters is that the law of the land says you're going to get in ridiculous amounts of trouble for the smallest infraction, better not to risk it.

• I agree however there is also a very large gap between being careful about that stuff vs paranoia. This MyTake was also mostly made just in reference to the utter lack of respect for the under 18 crowd. People treat them like straight up children who know nothing.

• By the way, there is no international age of consent. Countries have ages of consent ranging from 12 to 20. I'm in Korea right now and the age of consent is 19. That being said, talking sexually to an 18 year old Korean girl would be illegal.

• lost it at 16 crew

• More from Guys
    4