A Letter to The Girls

When you were tiny, you dreamed of being a princess. Why did you lose sight of that? Don't you want to be a princess still? Was it really only yesterday you put your tiara in your hair so you could dance at the ball in your imagination?

You're in Charge of Your Happiness

Don't ever feel you need to depend on someone for your own happiness, princess. Being a princess means you know the secret to happiness is within your own soul. You don't need a prince charming to complete your life, you need a prince charming to complement the life you have already made for yourself. Don't put some random timeline on when you are asked to the ball; just keep dancing on your own until someone worthy takes your hand and escorts you there.

You're a Treasure

Remember why they call things "treasures," princess. A treasure is something you have that not many people do. I can't expect you to wait to give your treasure away until marriage any more, but I ask you to consider who shares your treasure. Please don't make it some random roll in the royal barn for no other reason than that you are ashamed to still have your treasure. I don't know where it ever became a source of shame to be a virgin, but this is something you can only give away one time. Make it count. Be sure you give it to a Prince Charming who will love you for it.

Never Settle

Respect yourself, princess. Keep yourself to yourself. Make every encounter you have one that is worth something to you, one that moves your experience and life forward. Never settle for less, and never spin your carriage wheels in a situation that you are unhappy with. If you don't respect yourself, no one esle will.

You're in Charge

You rule your own world, princess. Don't be afraid to say no. No drugs, no cigarettes, no random drunken hookups with stable boys who will never knock on your door again. You are the princess, so act like it. Act like you want to be treated, and you will be treated like you act.

Learn From the Past

Hold your head up high, princess. Make your mistakes. Cry your tears. Move on and be a better girl than you were before. Princes are always out there that want to hurt princesses. Flip the tables and walk out with your chin up and a smile on your face. Cry alone if you need to, but never let the princes know they made you cry. Never give them that power.

You have the power to choose what hurts you, princess. You can choose to let a situation hurt you forever, or you can choose to give it only the time it deserves and then move on. Choose wisely, princess. Amazingly enough, the sun will rise in the morning no matter how you feel right now.

Let Your Light Shine

Be who you are. Nothing is more attractive than someone who loves what they are and knows who they are, with no apologies and no facade. You will be surrounded by people who want to be near your light if you just let it shine.

And that, princess, is myTake.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• I like your attitude daummm your hot as hell to

• Isn't it weird how things like this are always talked about.. how girls should be princesses. How come you never hear the same with guys wanting to be princes?

• Well, I mean, if you want to hear that, then why don't you take the time to write an article/gagTake about the subject?

• I'm not saying I want it, I'm just saying, you never really do

• I've never read as much shit in one post as this post.

• This special snowflake princess mentality needs to end. For girls: you aren't a little girl who needs to be taken care of, you're a woman who can take care of herself. Honestly, the world doesn't revolve around you, nor me or anyone else. And you build up your hopes and dreams into a perfect Prince Charming, and reach for the stars. Stars are made of hot gases, you will get burned. All the guys you are passing up (I'm not saying all women are like this) are perfectly good, but sometimes your idea of good is all in your head.
    And for guys: We shouldn't have to treat every woman like a princes and be treated like servants. Women want equality? Why should we hold them up on a pedestal like they are a "princess"? Cater to their every whim and spoil them just so they can ask for more.
    This whole "princess" thing needs to end, for both genders sake. For the love of God you aren't a princess to be catered to. You are a human, like everyone else, and you must earn their respect too.

• She is only say that as a human being we have dignity not every guy treats women with respect we are seen as animals and toys to some and same for men but no matter what every human deserves respect!

• I think we all need a little booster like this every once in a while, and I guess I see where you are coming from.

• Daenerys wants to be princess. :P

• I wanted to be a Power Ranger when I was a kid. That's because I was a kid though.

What Girls Said 51

• Well this is just the cutest thing ever. =)

• I never wanted to be a princess or wore a tiara. I actually wanted to be an F1 driver, but then I found out that it's like £100,000 a year to train and I doubt they'd take a woman. But aside from that, I follow most of these. I have my own rules/morals that I stick by and have done from day one (I'm stubborn) such as smoking and drugs. I'm not a follower, I show exactly who I am to people and I'm glad I am like that because I know there are many who can't do that.

• Although I agree with a lot of your points, this whole princess mentality is childish. I never wanted to be a princess. I wanted to be badass fighter like Mulan, curious like Alice and thirsty for knowledge like Belle. I didn't want to wear dresses and tiaras and sing all day. This princess mentality does nothing but make girls feel self-entitled and spoiled...

• What are you talking about? A lot of women grew up to be princesses!! Spoiled, talentless, stupid excuse for a human princesses!

• That's a really lovely article, thanks. Definitely something I needed to read

• cute (*^^*)

• Wholeheartedly agree. Though many people interpret the "Princess mentality" as women who want everything and give their men nothing. I don't agree with women like that.

• This is really cute.

I totally understand the point of why you've written this, but... no.

I never had that princess feeling, was never told I was a princess, never raised like that. I wasn't read stories in bed, I read them to myself (why is another story).

So I personally don't get this princess feeling... until recently. My boyfriend makes me feel like a princess, he showers me with love and affection and just little thoughts. I never knew what it was like to feel like a princess until him.

• Im a princess !!! :D

• Girl, I live to be a Princess. I always have and always be a princess in the people's eyes. I don't know if that's a good thing nor a bad thing YET its true. I refuse to retire my crown for something less. Being a Princess has always been apart of me since I was a child and I refuse to let it go. So many girls need to read this message you have wrote. GIRLS EMBRACE YOUR INNER SPARKLE!

• Everything you said is 100% true. People these days are so conceited and shallow and wrapped up in themselves. It's up to you to keep your head high and keep doing your own thing.

• This is beautiful but I wanted to be a superhero because I wanted to save lives and I'm not gonna lie I still want to be a superhero lol

• Beautiful love this.

• The Cinderella story that my mom read to me every night just became more real and actually revamped... truly awesome mytake :).

• Beautiful letter! I always wanted to be an indian though, riding bareback through the mountains!

• This is such a good take

• I teared up at this, I actually have a tiara...

• but a womans virginity is a piece of her treasure though. In a male dominated society it has fooled us into thinking it's our only treasure. But a human soul is valuable beyond all else.

• This is really great. I love this mytake. The only part I have to disagree on is the "treasure" part. I do, although, agree that you should experience your first time with someone special, but it really isn't that big of a deal, and I don't really believe in the made up concept of "virginity".

• I agree, our treasure isn't just our sex, it's us as a person because we are more than a vag.

• Wow, I like it, although I prefer the part of learn from the past rather than keeping the treasure. You know, I was raised during my childhood that the term princess refers to be a spoiled and/or a daddy's girl, who has to find someone who "deserves" and can give her all what she wants while she does nothing.

This can be a healthier point of view which needs to be encourage by the media: the girl needs to find her own happiness and live independently, not waiting things to happen or expect that someone, a prince charming, will resolve all her problems, that the only thing she can do is trying to keep her "purity" (translation: be always perfect).

The term of being a princess has changed through time due to different ages and cultures. In the beginning, the term princess was used to keep passive the women and convince them that the men who stole their treasures are the charming princes for them and giving the false hope that they will live happily ever after and their only goal in life is to make those men happy.

The princess stories have been kept as part of lore, culture. The concept of princess has slightly changed during the years. What has been seen important as looking for the perfect suitor who can fulfill all the wants and needs has become secondary now that women can study and work.

There are still archaic things like women have to be passive in a relationship or that women have to be better listeners, less stubborn, selfish and more calm. But as time goes by, we can see more changes in the points of view.

• I wish it was enough saying this because they only believe it for an hour or 2 at most then they are around other girls again and it's back to square 1 :( ^sign^ i do wish girls were nicer to each other but straight away even say hello them and it's like "What did you say?" *claws out* lol, i see girls telling other girls the way they act MUST be the right way and the ONLY way and they hate you just for that... well... your way isn't the only way or the "right" way when your just so mean... love each other, you can relate to each other in more than just 1 way, what's your favorite music? favorite movies? favorite ice cream? favorite drink? favorite meals? faveorite books? etc... etc... lol so many possiblities :). So believe in yourselves and believe in each other because us girls have to be kind to ourselves.

• More from Girls
    31