Easiest way to start learning a language!

The easiest way to learn a language is to learn it in a fun way.

In this modern day and age, many of us watch TV. We have our favorite shows, dramas, thrillers, etc. Now our shows (if you live in America and other English language countries) are mostly in English , but what happens when you watch your shows with subtitles?

More specifically, Spanish subtitles...

You'll start to involuntarily learn new language words because your eyes will notice the subtitles as the character speaks. And whenever a word is mentioned multiple times, you'll eventually memorize it.

Yep. That's it. Just watch TV with subtitles in a language you want to learn.

I tested this experiment on myself.

I watched the show WEEDS with Spanish subs on Netflix.

Here's what I learned

Weed= Mota

Brother= Hermano

Kids= Hijos

I= Yo

and many more...

I also did the same experiment with videogames.

I used Assassin's Creed to learn a couple Italian and Latin words.

Here's what I learned:

Riposa in pace= rest in peace (Italian)

Requiesce in pace= rest in peace (Latin)

Assassino= assassin (duh lol)

and many more...

So in conclusion, next time, you're watching Netflix, Hulu, etc or playing video games, try adding subs of another language to feed your brain some easy knowledge ;)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 11

• Yes, this does work. I also like to watch foreign films with English subtitles. That's a good way to learn how words are pronounced in other languages and how they speak conversationally. My Spanish teacher recommended that to me.

• I was watching Netflix in the Caribbean and when you're in that zone, Netflix automatically adds Spanish subs to whatever you're watching. So I had no choice in learning those Spanish words lol

• Haha! Wow, that's really interesting.

• I do the same thing, but backwards. I am fluent in two languages, and am currently learning another one. What I do is that I'll find a shows/movies in the language that I'm trying to learn, and add English subtitles. It works in the same way that watching a show in English with another language's subtitles, but it also lets you hear the pronunciation, which is better if you're wanting to speak the language as well!

• Just get a lover from that particular country.

• It is good, but it is only for start and learns to some extent. If you do not know pimsleur method it uses the same system. with pimsleur one will be able to learn the language faster to some degree, but will never be able to learn it completely.

for complete mastering a language you have to read the literature in that language, from easy to harder levels. And you have to 'write' in that language which needs a very good understanding of its grammar.

also if the language is from another branch of languages than your own language and uses different alphabets and grammatical structures it is almost impossible for one to understand it all in this way. for that you have to have a teacher and learn it academically.

though for mastering every language you have to have a teacher or better have a teacher at some point of learning it. without someone to guide you you could easily make obvious mistakes without knowing them.

• I watch korean shows all of the time and it definitely helps a ton. Just don't think it will lead you to be conversational, that's a whole different ball game!

• It's a good way to help you start learning, for sure. But only with languages that use an alphabet that you're already familiar with. English and Spanish use the same letters, so it's easy.

• Well yeah I don't think there's anyway I'd have been able to learn arabic or Chinese with this method lol

• I've learned quite a bit of Serbian though, because I married a Serb and he's been teaching me how to say things. We generally just speak in English though.

• Well when your husband speaks Serbian, it creates many fun ways to learn the language lol. Beyer than just sitting I'm a classroom and learning a million verbs lol

• I wonder if that works? I have using subtitles sooo much._. I need to learn Spanish because of my boyfriend's family and my best friend's family.
    I know only basic greetings and some random vocabulary. I figured I just buy Rosetta stone. I know basic Japanese and some French already. Asl too.

Rosetta Stone takes actual motivation. The subs are just an easier way to start learning, but you'd eventually have to switch to actual learning material to fully learn the language.

• I can try that XD Is weeds a good show? Sorry, too many questions ^^

• It's ok lol.

The first 4 seasons are great, then it starts going downhill from there.

• Great method :) And very fun
    Actually it really works. I tried it before while learning new language :)

• Which language :p?

• Hahaha they speak English perfectly :) no worries lol

• Seems I'll have plan a trip there soon!

• Never thought about it, that's a really good idea :)

• hahahahhaha thanks for this awesome take maybe i will finally learn russian

• Not only the best way to learn but also to get familiar with culture and society.

What Guys Said 10

• Very true: it'd the way our son started learning English and how l smeliorated my German. Looking at movies subtitled for deaf persons.

• This is heavily dependent on the quality of the subtitles. Especially when watching shows in languages like Japanese or Korean that are difficult to translate into Latin based languages, the subtitles almost never capture the full or correct meaning of the dialogue. Studies have even shown that reliance on subtitles for tv shows impairs language learning

• This is just to kick start someone's interest and basic vocabulary in a language. Eventually thrylo have to go to actual learning material.

And this method wouldn't work if both languages don't share a similar alphabet.

• will this work with p*rn too?

• Yep! But they don't talk much in p*rn and I don't remember seeing one with subs tho lol

• The thing is so many languages have such different grammar constructs from English it takes more than watching movies to understand. But it's good practice to do these things.

• Well yeah you're right, it only works for languages with a similar alphabet to one's native language

• Read novels and listen to audiobooks

• I picked up dutch by speaking with my girlfriend and learning a few words at a time.

• Well yeah you have massive motivation right there lol.

• Oh ok. Did knowing some dutch earn you a bit of brownie points with her parents?

• Well, they liked me before I even started learning dutch because they all know English . I think they are pleased with me learning there language and culture and are happy that I am willing to go with there cultural traditions instead of mine.

• Just go to language school urghh... I speak 6 languages, that's what I did.

• Damn. We're the teachers cute or was it just self motivation on your part lol?

• Stick to what you're learning at school and then, yeah, use videos to increase your knowledge of those three languages.

Knowing 4-6 words from a language is nothing lol.

• You'd be suprised how many people fail language classes at my college lol. I remember one guy studied for his first Spanish quiz by watching Dora in Spanish lol.

• I use these tricks too :D

• This actually does work, in a subtle way. I once had a Spanish teacher claim that the best way to learn conversational Spanish was to watch your favorite movie with Spanish subtitles and memorize it in a sense.

I believe it!

• cool. I'm actually gonna try it if I learn some words and phrases.