Being Considered a "Hippie."

"A hippie (or hippy) is a member of a subculture that was originally a youth movement that emerged in the United States during the mid-1960s and spread to other countries around the world."

My whole life i have been hold i'm "such a hippie." I take this as a compliment. However, i think that society these days can't tell the difference between being a "hippie" and not being consumed by the modern world's views and prouducts etc.

My mum is, i guess, a true hippie. And i really, really apprecaite it. She brought me up with some fantastic values that i have carried on into my own life. A lot of these are to do with health and wellbeing. Here is a short list of the things that often prompt people to call me a "hippe"- (but definitely not all.)

• I do not own a microwave, have never owned a microwave
  • I do not drink tap water, or water from a plastic bottle. (I use glass or aluminium bottles.)
  • I do not use aerosol
  • I eat only organic, free range
  • I have a large amount of respect for animal life. I have never killed a bug, spider or anything in my whole life
  • I only use my wifi when i really need to, and turn it off most of the time
  • I support free the nip, lol
  • I attend many "hippie" music festivals (and used to have a combi van)
  • I believe in star signs, zodiac and spiritual/positive negative/earthly energies
  • MAKE LOVE NOT WAR

Being considered a

Now, i am totally shocked that any of these things would make me a hippie. To me, when i hear hippie, i think living on a commune with no technology, growing my own food and wearing 100% cotton over my hairy pitts...

These things to me are just being healthy and happy. There is a lot of evidence to show my reasoning behind all these things.

What do you think? Do you do any of these things- do you consider yourself a hippie?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• I would say those things make you a "lite" hippie. But that is (excluding going to hippie festivals and new age stuff) actually just being a decent modern human being.

• I like a lot of those qualities, people like that tend to be very laid back. Glad you don't have hairy pits though.

Question though, do you have bush? lol

• I'm pretty much the opposite. I embrace technology and devour countless innocent animals.

Oh and: media.gamerevolution.com/.../...rior-firepower.jpg

• I got called a hippie once because I wore glasses.

What Girls Said 6

• I've been called hispter & hippie a few times based on personality but that person was the true hipster. No one would call me one based on style. Hipsterism is too mainstream for me. I'm just a free spirit.

• hippies are awesome. i love their natural take on life. im sorta like a hippie but i like the internet

• Same. People always joke about how much of a hippie I am, but I see it as nothing but positive. I mean I do the best that I can for the animals, for the planet, for health, and for happiness. There's absolutely nothing immoral or wrong about that. I do embrace technology though, I just spend a lot of time in nature as well.

• My friends consider me a hippie. I'm not as "organic" as you are but I do live a more "organic" lifestyle than my friend.
    Anyways though I suggest you looking into free range, it's not really free. If put chicken in a 12x10 room shoulder to shoulder, with a little doggy door (that they can barely reach), and a couple of high windows it's considered free range. But they're not free range they're just not in coupes. I was very sad to hear that

• I get called hippie more because of my environmental and animal welfare ideas, but I use internet and things like that.

• I can never live that way... lol I wuv my microwave too much and hate my arpmit hair too much!