"A hippie (or hippy) is a member of a subculture that was originally a youth movement that emerged in the United States during the mid-1960s and spread to other countries around the world."
My whole life i have been hold i'm "such a hippie." I take this as a compliment. However, i think that society these days can't tell the difference between being a "hippie" and not being consumed by the modern world's views and prouducts etc.
My mum is, i guess, a true hippie. And i really, really apprecaite it. She brought me up with some fantastic values that i have carried on into my own life. A lot of these are to do with health and wellbeing. Here is a short list of the things that often prompt people to call me a "hippe"- (but definitely not all.)
- I do not own a microwave, have never owned a microwave
- I do not drink tap water, or water from a plastic bottle. (I use glass or aluminium bottles.)
- I do not use aerosol
- I eat only organic, free range
- I have a large amount of respect for animal life. I have never killed a bug, spider or anything in my whole life
- I only use my wifi when i really need to, and turn it off most of the time
- I support free the nip, lol
- I attend many "hippie" music festivals (and used to have a combi van)
- I believe in star signs, zodiac and spiritual/positive negative/earthly energies
- MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
Now, i am totally shocked that any of these things would make me a hippie. To me, when i hear hippie, i think living on a commune with no technology, growing my own food and wearing 100% cotton over my hairy pitts...
These things to me are just being healthy and happy. There is a lot of evidence to show my reasoning behind all these things.
What do you think? Do you do any of these things- do you consider yourself a hippie?