How long does it take to be comfortable driving?

I have a driver's license that I got 3 years ago, but to be honest it was pure luck that I passed my practical test! The examiner probably felt sorry for me and let me through even though I was definitely not confident enough.

Anyway, long story short, I was counting on my parents to teach me properly, but I had to move away for university that summer so there went that plan. This year my friends and I want to rent a car and drive around Europe traveling. I would like to take lessons until then (we'll be going in august) and possibly drive the car. Do you think this is reasonable?

Will it be safe to drive after say 20 lessons? I know this is a very generic question, but just share your experience and opinion. How long did it take you to be comfortable driving a car for example?

I definitely feel more confident now that I'm older ( I was 18 when I got my license), but I haven't had much experience. Drove my parent's car a few times, but I had someone with me in the car all the time. I also drove a scooter and I picked it up quite quickly if that counts. Was very comfortable driving that last year on holiday.

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to be a driving instructor. Just keep driving with someone until you are comfortable and confident in every situation, every type of intersection, right of way scenario, interstate, city, and rural driving, driving at night, and in the rain. And, perhaps, even more importantly, until your passenger feels 100% comfortable out there with you. It's difficult to give you a number of lessons or hours. You are already perceptive enough to know you need more instruction and experience. You will also know when are fully competent.

• hi! thanks for your answer. :) Can you recommend any interactive video games that help with perception? I seem to have trouble perceiving the distance between the car and the rest of the things on the road.

• Hmm... That I can't help you with. I don't know about video games. It may be well-worth your while to approach a local driving school.. They will have simulators.

• Thanks for MHO.

What Guys Said 2

• I drove before and had a car before I was 15 and had a license... Driving at high speeds on the freeway was scary at first but I was comfortable after two or three weeks and love to drive now! Honestly everyone is different but if you drive defensively you will learn a lot and from experience riding a motorcycle helped me to become a better driver as well. Just makes ya more aware of others I suppose. Gotta be defensive when you are sitting on top of a vehicle at 70 mph surrounded by 3000 pound cars O-O good luck!

• I was a really quick learner so I was comfortable driving on expressways and highways withing 4hours of practice. This was with a manual too lol

What Girls Said 3

• I don't know, as soon as I didn't have a parental figure in the vehicle I was comfortable driving. To this day, I still get nervous whenever I'm driving like my mom / dad / grandma / etc. around, because I hate being critiqued.

... and all they do is tell me to slow down.

• It depends on how often you're driving and how good your teacher is

• it takes a while!