Is it ok to have a house rule to take off your shoes and socks before entering the house?

I would like to know that if someone tells you to take your shoes and socks off before entering the house? would it make you upset or be worried if the floor is dirty etc?
I have that house rule because i grew up in Japan and most people there have that rule.

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Shoes - yes, socks - that's weird.

I would expect the floor to be very clean. If it weren't - what's the point?

What Girls Said 20

• It's no big deal. I don't know about the socks though, it's not much different than bare feet, both were in your shoes, both are sweaty. Plus it's a hassle to take off socks along with shoes

• I'd prefer to keep my socks on in someone else's house but it's not my house. If I'm visiting someone then I abide by the rules that they set. So, for me, it'd be fine, even if it's not what I'd like.

• I take off my shoes but not my socks. Not about walking around in my bare feet to be honest, not in someone else's home. I prefer to have socks on.

• It wouldn't bother me at all. I'm Surinamese so the rule of taking your shoes of is super normal to me. The fact that you have to take your socks off as well is new but that wouldn't be a problem.

• So taking off your shoes isn't like a real thing?,
      lol my parents always said to me to take them off

• Shoes yes but socks no. I'm kind of put off by seeing people's feet. I'd probably ask them to keep their socks on

• It's a common practice in my family.

Sometimes I keep the socks on when I am at my friend's house not because I am afraid the floor is dirty but because I was being lazy.

• not socks, cause some people may not want to enter because their feet stink.. but unless you don't want people to go to your house do that

• Heck, yes! They better take off their shoe's at least before entering my apartment. Taking off your sock's is not required, but it's acceptable.

• Would you take your socks off?

• In my house? Yeah, I take my socks off whenever I can,
      In someone else's I don't take my socks off unless they ask.

• In Korean cultures, Not taking off your shoes is a sign of disrespect, because they often sleep or sit there, so yes definitely ok, socks ah not so much, many people feel self conscious about their feet.

• It is ok to ask people to take off their shoes but socks might be too much.

• Socks? No
    Shoes? Makes sense.

• Do I get at least something to cover my always cold feet?

• that's normal

• I think shoes is fine but asking someone to take off their socks is weird. Some people aren't comfortable with that

• Yeah it is OK. :)

• No I wouldn't be upset or anything. You track in dirt from the outside, I take mine off at the door. If I go to someone's house, I would do the same more than likely. I haven't been to Japan yet, but would like to! I am American by the way.

• The shoe rule is normal for my family and most friends. Socks I haven't heard of but hey, it's your house your rules.

• It's their house so I suppose I would have to respect house rules since I'm a guest. I had friends with that rule before and it didn't bother me at all.

• shoes off its ok
    but socks? uhmm shm

• You're Asian aren't you? I always do that

• I thought taking your socks off was a thing too. My parents always said to me to take my shoes and socks off