• Ask
  • myTake

Do politics matter in your relationship or date?

I was talking to my boyfriend and told him that if we didn't share political affinity it would be awkward to talk about many things and it would... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• It matters to me. I have strong political views, but it's more than that: my political views are based on my values and worldview. They don't have to share every political view that I have, and some political issues hold more weight to me than others, but having very different political views would suggest to me that we have very different values and worldview and that we're likely not compatible.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't want to date a statist.

• depends, I doubt it will not work with an extremist.. but otherwise politics is just or politicians, just as political correct is also just for politicians.

• It definitely depends on how extreme, on either spectrum, the person I'm dating is. I'd like to say that it doesn't matter at all, but it does to an extent. As long I can trust the other person, we can keep "cool" heads and actually discuss (not argue), then it would be fine.

• Never.... Politics and religion is what makes society retarded and stupid, our is fucked up because of that bull shit..

• Depends on the person. If we can disagree about fiscal policy or have different religious views, fine. But if us having different politics means me having to hear her bash my side, or hear constant rants or bullsh*t about how jesus created the world and the republican party... no. I can't date someone like that. I don't want to listen to political radio shows. I don't want to hear how one party ruined everything. I have my own views... but I have something called tact, and manners. I don't go looking for a fight. And most political people these days are the opposite of that. No thank you. They'll be the same political views as me - a sane moderate.

• It does not matter at all. I will not date a liberal because their views conflict with mine

• So... do they matter or not? Since you won't date a liberal because their ideas conflict with yours?

• It would matter to me.

• no I agree, I could never be with a chick who was too extreme either way. like green party or nazi republican. I could definitely tolerate a few differences, and they might even make for some good conversations (eg. I think capital punishment is very interesting and there are great cases for both sides)

• It would matter to me. I don't want to be with a woman who is very political as I have no interest in politics whatsoever. We'd definitely have to avoid the topic but I doubt someone who enjoys politics would want to stray away from talking about it all the time.

• I would prefer someone who doesn't follow politics.

However, I wouldn't really care in the long run.

• not really

What Girls Said 4

• no because I don't care about politics at all myself

• yes of course/. its not really about not having stuff to chat about., its that I have the convictions I have for a reason. h how can I share a deep bond with someone who has a totally different outlook. code of ethics, & sense of justice, can not vary tremendously, with someone I am to love.

• YES.he must be a mao-dzongist or NO GO!