10 Tips for Surviving the Holidays for the Newly Single

The holidays are here and you are newly single. No one to kiss under the mistletoe. No date for your office holiday party. Dry those tears. Here are some tips for surviving the holidays with a broken heart.

1. Enjoy Time with Your Friends and Family

Yes, you are single now, but that does not mean you aren’t loved. You don’t have to be lonely. Spend time with your parents. Go out dancing with the girls. Organize a flag football game. Get reacquainted with the people you haven’t been in touch with for a while.

Your family and closest friends were there for you before you met your ex, so don’t forget that they are there for you now and will be there for you in the future. By surrounding yourself with those who care, you will be able to stay positive.

2. Take a Trip

Why not get away for a while? There’s a reason vacations are also called escapes and getaways. A change of scenery, short or long, will give you a temporary break from unwanted reminders. Taking a trip will also help you clear your head and focus on moving forward, while having a little fun. Plus, the chances of you running into your ex while on vacation is slim to none.

3. Party! Party! Party!

The great thing about the holidays is that there’s practically a celebration around every corner. Attend your office holiday party. Say yes to your buddy’s New Year’s Eve party. Not invited to anything appealing? Why not throw your own party?

You might not be in a festive mood, but take note that millions of attached people are envious of your freedom. So go ahead. Throw back a few beer. Mingle with other singles. Have some carefree fun.

4. Schedule Some “Me” Time

Breakups are tough. You might feel fine one day and a mess the next, so be sure to make a little time to sulk. It’s OK to have a good cry every once in a while. However, be careful not to wallow in your misery for too long or isolate yourself from those who care about you.

5. Break a Sweat

Exercise is perhaps one of the best mood enhancers and stress relievers. There’s a reason, you see people happily running through rain and snow. When your heart rate rises, your brain begins to release endorphins, a chemical that produces a sense of euphoria.

Regular exercise will not only help you get out of a funk, but it will also improve your health, looks and self esteem. There’s nothing sexier than a happy, healthy and confident person.

6. Clean Your Place

Coming home to a messy place is never pleasant, whether you are newly single or not. Throw away those empty pizza boxes and put the dirty laundry in the hamper. While you’re at it, get rid of the things that remind you of your ex, like the chevron throw pillows she bought for you or the razor he left behind. Reclaim your space.

It’s also a good idea to remove some of the photos you have on display. Sure, you can keep that group picture from your best friend’s wedding, but toss that photo strip of you and your ex giving each other eskimo kisses in the photobooth last summer. Photos capture the past and you need to steer your gaze toward the future.

7. Get Productive

Focusing on school or your job is a great way to redirect your attention in a productive way. You can even find a cause you’d like to support. Whatever your goals are, you can now invest as much time and energy as you would like into achieving them. Who knows? You might even get an award or promotion out of it.

8. Give Yourself a Gift

Have you been admiring your friend’s tiki bar or eying your sister’s handbag? Use the money you would have splurged on your ex and treat yourself to something you’ve been wanting. Be as impractical as you want, as long as you stay within your holiday budget.

9. Take Time to Reflect

Re-evaluate your past relationship. Own up to your role in the breakup. Think about what you could have done to prevent and resolve unnecessary conflicts.

It is good to learn from your mistakes. However, don’t obsess over things that cannot be changed. Just remember them, so you can be a better partner in your next relationship.

10. Look Forward to the New Year

As the year ends, be thankful for what you have and leave the past behind. Challenge yourself to stay positive and prepare for the next chapter in your life.

It may be difficult at first, but time heals everything. The new year will bring new opportunities. Embrace each and every one of them.

47

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been single all my life, I don't understand why people have all these problems being single. just forget about the person, and move on, find something to do, get a hobby, go workout, just do something where your mind is working and you are not thinking about dumb shit.

• If you've never experienced relationships, love or break-ups, then you can't have a say on how easy or hard it is to move on.

• exactly. You don't know what you got to loose until you've actually had it. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Most Helpful Girl

• There's nothing wrong with being single during the holidays. Some people look at it as a bad thing but it isn't a bad thing. Maybe you haven't found your perfect match yet. Move on from the person that broke your heart, and go out and meet new people and do what you love and keep yourself busy. I go out and hang out with my friends and enjoy my single life. I'm not in the rush to look for a relationship right now or anything, I'm just doing me.

• Yes, it's definitely good to be grateful and live in the moment. Not enough people do those things.

• I feel like some people look at being single over winter break as a curse but it isn't a curse. Especially with like the new year coming in its time to start fresh. I just spend time with my friends and family and go out and have fun. I'm not really looking for a relationship right now until I finish high school of course.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 6

• What about for those that are not newly single, but single - like old single?

• I'm new here and I'm single again. . what a dreadful way to be broken, right on this Christmas holiday. Life it's self , it's inevitable.. we will always be sure of one thing , and that is only You. The pain I go through is not something to feel good about , rather like Most people say in this blog.. stay focused and be pro active in things. They say time will heal all things especially with God in your side *

• 11. video games

• @NitNoy3 This is the time of year to time With JACK Daniels and Jim Beam.

• The take makes it sound like you HAVE to be in a relationship during the holidays. Since when is it at a thing?

• I just keep playing Harry Bellefonte and drinking heavily.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk3sLHZzZRI

• hhaha, best one. :P

• Haha... That sounds like good, too.

• Shake shake work your body line
      cha cha cha... jump in line... rock your body in line... cha cha cha

What Girls Said 3

• Ugh, wish I could do half these things but Im stuck in my bed sick with mono! What a terrible way to get over someone :(

• being a single is the best thing ever happened to me.

• My age scares me:) please tell me that the parties still are exciting after 35?

• yeah when you become 40, you realize that you haven't done much and have some crashes but... telling you, it's all upto you. You can have party as much as you want but you probably don't want it anyway. There is basically nothing changes, trust me.

• I have had my heart broken before but I don't recall spending Christmas with a bf. I spend it with my family. I never been in a serious relationship or lived with a guy but I will have to agree with steveguitar life doesn't stop going just because you are single. People act like being single is the end of the world. You can live without him/her if you are still breathing