Gone Girl: A Story About a Girl Gone Bad?

If you've seen the film, then there are so many questions that left me scratching my head. Do Americans REALLY believe marriage is such a hell that the only way to keep the status quo is by literally sleeping with the enemy? Do men and women have such a deep seated core misunderstanding of each other's motives and desires that the only way to resolve that indifference is through violence and murder?

Gone Girl starts off as a classic 'whodunnit' story. Lovely wife goes missing, husband is the suspect and we go from there. But the two different versions of this 'true love and happily ever after' story are so divergent that the confusion and disaffection Ben Affleck's character Nick shows is not so surprising.

We find oursleves with people whether in marriage or in relationships, who have changed over time. The initial courting period is never one to count on, as to how your life 'might be' with a person. At the beggining we are all on our best behaviors because we want to be loved, we want to be adored and accepted, and most will go to many lengths to secure their lover's affections.

But what happens after the white wedding? When all the guests are gone and the house is bought and the furniture moved in. What is this strange normalization process where couples start to take each other for granted and stop playing their romantic roles. Well, as this film shows the brutal truth comes out and we see with whom we ar actually with. Here it's terrifying.

What's more terrifying is that the form of that terror comes in the unexpected form of Nick's wife, Amy. Everyone always expects the husband to be the root of violence in a family. If a murder happens, usually it's the female to suffer the consequences and lose her life.

That's why this film is shocking. It plays with every day cliches about relationships and marriage. Even cliches about crime solving and police work, domestic violence and murder. It all starts off quite predictable until you see what Amy has in store for her cheating husband. It's not just his infidelity - it's about the greater lies we weave when catching, hooking and reeling in a partner. The lie of a false self we project - a false self we think is more worthy of love than our true personalities.

Over the test of time and marriage, the friction of everyday living wears down thin the veil of our more perfect selves and the more banal aspects start to seep out. If we cannot be what we promised our partners we would be - til death do us part - then resentment, disappoint and angers factors in. In the film, this happens to a point of homicidal rage.

It's the woman's rage that features at the centre of this movie, so used to playing a role that is not what sets her off - it's that her husband will not continue to play the role he promised. And so from that point she is gone, girl!

Off the edges of sanity into the maniacal depths of her depravity she delves into the utter outrage every women feels from being erased by her partner. If he can let himself go then so shall she....but to much greater consequnces than he could have ever imagained.

This is a great film about the lies we tell each other and ourselves in love. And it's also about the price we pay for telling those lies, that in the end become our reality.

1411

Most Helpful Guy

• Did you write the above yourself? If you did, consider a career in movie reviewing... Are you Belgrade based?

• Cheers! Yes, I'm a Canadian living in Belgrade and I did an M. A in Film Studies at the University of Amsterdam.

Most Helpful Girl

• lol... What a coincidence, BB, I am watching it tonite with my cousins... Looks like another award winner for hunky Ben Affleck. xx

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• I still can't believe that the husband was so calm near the end. Like, she fucking murdered someone and he knew she was insane.

• It is not literally true but it does speak a truth. There are hidden motives, actions by one spouse, to get what they want in disregard for the others injuries. These injuries aren't physical except in the most extreme cases but rather, emotional or spiritual.
    A human faced with a lifetime commitment is likely to do anything to make that lifetime what they fantasize about.
    You have only one life time and in the end one will sacrifice some of it or hold on to their ideology of happiness. All other persons are simply written into the script. They have their own lives to create.

• You are an excellent writer. Your review of this film makes me want to see it. Your analysis is very thoughtful.

• Interesting thing.

• Poor NPH!! Didn't see that one coming!

• I told a friend that if you found your true soulmate, like a person who you can truly be yourself in whatever form etc you will last because nobody can make you feel that way. But it never happens and marriage is a fuck up.

• "Everyone always expects the husband to be the root of violence in a family. If a murder happens, usually it's the female to suffer the consequences and lose her life."
    Have you seen Snapped?
    It sounds like a very interesting movie.
    If we all tell lies why does she not expect that part of the relationship to be the norm? Who says everyone's romance dies after marriage, and who's to say the little things couples do for eachother everyday aren't romantic?

• When Ben Affleck goes 'You're a crazy bitch' and she responds 'You married this bitch' was when I thought to myself 'Marriage is forever so better be careful who you marry.'

• Good girls gone bad 😂

• To all the lonely men who are upset about not being married, watch this movie!

What Girls Said 13

• I read the book. And I don't ever really like to pick it apart. It was just about someone who is so controlling, they're on a psychopathic level. It's like the novel Serena by Ron Rash. And it is not just women who can be like that. Men can plot too.
    I do think it touches on the issue of insecurity and acceptance. Amy thought she needed to be the "cool girl." The girl that men liked. Despite that, she and Nick still shared a genuine love. Nick's father, the misogynist, is a person throughout the book that Nick never wants to become like. And that's part of why he stayed with Amy in the end. She made him who he was and kept him from being like his dad. In some ways, I think the book plays on the downfall of men kind of lol.

• This movie made me feel so violated.

• All I got to say about this book and movie is: "You call that an ending? Are you fucking kidding me?"

• I didn't actually read the take but I love the film!!! So well directed, written and done!!! The twist!!! Oh just amazingly haunting!!

• Oh come on. This person put time and energy and thought into her take. Don't come here just to tell her you're not going to read it.

• Read the damn take.

• The movie was awesome!
    I liked the idea you accentuated even more here, but she was crazy. Sure, we should be ourselves and live our lives for ourselves, not try to become what our partners want to- the movie is playing with these emotions and feminism.

• i think this movie will be a better novel than the movie, just a premonition :)

• I seriously need to watch this!! Thanks for your input!

• Great article and great writing. I need to read the book and see the film!

• Every American is different... if you don't know what, I just don't know what to tell you. Cheers xox

• That movie was incredible. Very well done.

• I saw the movie gone girl it was good

• This is why I don't believe in love

• Sounds interesting. I should read this book! Thanks for your take.😃