What does it mean if an ex boyfriend apologizes months later?

Hi, I find myself very confused but I'm gonna make it short. My ex boyfriend dumped me five months ago out of the blue and said some hurtful things. He was very hot and cold and I was very clingy for a while but I don't really see why you would break up with someone because of that.. We agreed to remain friends but I cut him off when he slept with someone else and showed it in my face after I gave him the cold shoulder. Ever since then he's been trying to get my attention, expressed how sad he was through social media every now and then. Just recently he sent me a message where he apologized for hurting me and said that he's there for me if I want to talk (about what?). I replied shortly, acting very guarded/uninterested while he sent smileys and asked me friendly questions but then he stopped writing.
I was always hoping that he'd apologize because I still have feelings for him and I do want to be with him.

My question is, just how should I look at this? Is that it or does he still have feelings for me? Like should I write to him and show him that I'm interested or will I make a huge fool out of myself? We were officially in a relationship.

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Look at it as a learning experience from young love. The longer you hold onto any of it, the longer it will take you to get over it and move forward in life.
    He is an ex. A part of your past, nothing more. You owe him nothing. The best thing you can do is move on with your life happily.
    You don't want to be with him. What is done can't be undone. You miss aspects of him and the relationship.
    Send him a polite return message that you are happy and doing well and you wish him the best in life. Thank him for the good times. Leave it simple and let it go. Then stop contact.
    If you want to move on, and you will not be happy until you do, then removing the cause of the wound is necessary.

What Guys Said 2

• And what will you do when it happens again in 6 months.

• If you were to take him back, you can likely expect that he'd do the same thing again. He sounds like a bit of a tool...

What Girls Said 2

• No, move on. He's probably seeing you're doing OK and feeling stupid for being such a dick head to you. What he did was really immature and spiteful, not very nice traits in a person. I'd just take a small amount of pleasure in the fact that he's regretting his actions and obviously still has some kind of feelings for you (whether these are to placate his own desires or because he actually wants you is umclear) but then move on, meet someone who doesn't act so harshly.

• Sounds like my ex forget the loser you do not wait till months later if your that sorry he's fooling you to worm. his way back in. Move on