Has cheating become socially acceptable?

I will preface this by saying that I have never so much as been on a date, and the thought of cheating on anyone disgusts me. But I have heard a lot of people around my workplace talking about relationships and their partners so casually that I am confused. It seems as thought sex has become a game, where if someone is drunk they sleep with some one and to get back their partner just cheats to "even the score."

Has this become the norm? What are your thoughts on this type of behavior?

60

Most Helpful Girl

• first of all I commend your observance and questioning. it is this lack of behavior that has created the illusion that cheating is today's society the norm. it is not and never will be. I believe cheating is horrible and unacceptable. it is one of the ugliest forms of lying and deceit. do not accept that cheating is ok from anyone. being physical with someone is not the only way to cheat. lusting, flirting, and obtaining an intimate relationship with someone while committed to someone else is cheating, well in my opinion of course. :)

Thanks for the great question!

What Girls Said 5

• no, its not acceptable. I broke up with my ex boyfriend of 3 years and half because he cheated on me... I think relationship is about feelings (love), character and honesty, not games.

• Cheating is never okay, but I agree that a lot of people are doing it. Love has become hopeless.

• Yes it's becoming a lot less frowned upon and more socially acceptable.

The morals of our society is whittling away. Soon it will be a free-for-all and everything will be "okay".

• In all honesty, I think this may depends on who you ask. Someone with a more cynical view on relationships might say yes.

While this has become more prevalent in our society, I do not think this necessarily means it is acceptable. If we think on the very definition of the word, in every sense of it, it is negative. So that action against another person should never be acceptable. I think cheating on someone is one of the worst things you can do.

• not in my book, call me old fashioned but I take sex and relationships seriously. cheating is wrong, but some people now have "open" relationships.

What Guys Said 0