I feel like my husband hates me after only 5 months of marriage?

I am very worried about the changes I see in my husband after only 5 months of marriage.
Before, he used to say marriage was a logical, beautiful thing that united people in a deeply spiritual way. Today he says that it changes nothing, we are still separate humans with separate plans and at any time, something might happen and we might divorce.
Before, he used to speak about me all the time to his friends, about how we were such a cool couple, so proud of having me next to him... today his marriage ring is gone and last time he invited me to go out with some of his new friends, they didn't even know we lived together.
But get this - my husband is literally disturbed when I say I love him. He says this shows I'm needy and that every time I say it, "it makes him think hard if he even wants to spend his future with me". My notion of what love is, according to him, is still "high school"-ish.
Before, he would be so happy about making money for us, cleaning the home for us or taking me out. Right now, if I even thank him for cleaning the house, he will say "I did it for myself". He frequently criticizes me for being insecure and once said I look like I am going to "die" all the time. He is also lately struggling to get along with my mother, which is a pain because we are temporarily living in her house. At the beginning mom didn't hesitate to offer us the house, but today she threatened to throw him out because he raised his voice to us both. Because of this, I have been so depressed I considered quitting my job, changing home or even offering to stay at a mental hospital.
The point is, I wish he wasn't angry/bored/irritable all the time next to me. The plans we had before, such as living in another country, have become things I would rather not talk about because his answer will be "don't count on me for anything, plan your life as if things could fail". Please help... the last thing I want is to separate or divorce after 5 months of marriage and at 23 years old!!!

3633

Most Helpful Guy

• wow sounds like a pretty tough situation to be in. yeah it definitely seems like he's changed or something in him has changed

before we start thinking separation or divorce consider couples counseling

but ultimately at 23 it may stink to get separated or divorced but it's better to recognize irreconcilable differences at 23 than 30,40,50, etc or live in an unhappy marriage

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel you must be leaving some things out as nobody offers to go to sme tak hospital unless they agree or know there is something wrong with them. But regardless of that, it definitely sounds like he is having second thoughts about Boeing married. Have you considered a couples councilor?

• Hey Sarah, thanks for stopping by. I wanted to extend the story but I have a limit of words I can use. I am in fact in deep depression and am doing everything to treat it (taking medication, going to a psychologist frequently, going to the gym, working a job I love, taking my driver's license) so it's not like his comments about my insecurity or tired looks are unjustified. I will consider your idea of couples councilor, as it never crossed my mind before... once again thank you for taking the time.

What Guys Said 32

• 5 Months of marriage is really nothing. Even if there is a divorce early is still much better compared to being late, such as much later when you already have children with your husband and then things turned out to be the way things currently are now.

That's just the bitter reality of it, once reality kicks in both parties are going to realize different things that maybe marriage to each other wasn't the best idea and personalities and attitudes change and change can't be stopped it will ALWAYS happen.

DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB. If your husband wants to give up on your marriage and is unwilling to work with you and be clear about what exactly it is he is frustrated and unhappy with you, then the faults on him. The both of you will have to work together to make the marriage work. It's really hard work and not easy at all. But if he wants to call it quits then there's not much you can do about it anymore. Be thankful that it didn't get to the point where you're already pregnant and then he decided that he longer "loves" you or want anything else to do with you anymore.

• It sounds like he wants a divorce and he is trying to bait you into filing it so that he can say that YOU divorced HIM.

• Rather, the last thing you need is to be in an unhealthy, unhappy marriage for the rest of your life at age 23, based on your version of the story.

I wish I could know your husband's version of the story, to understand the underlying causes of his behaviour. We don't know if it has something to do with you or your mum.

• Its a done deal. Your husband has changed. I have no idea why, but your marriage is dead. He may be mentally ill even.

• At 23 years old, it's pretty obvious why he feels that way. Particularly if you live in a big city. If you are in a rural area, where the lifestyle is quiet, then settling down with a marriage and family early in your 20's is pretty normal.

In a city however, the early 20's is really the start of a person's partying time. There's lots of things you and your husband have not experienced yet, and I suspect that marriage has made him feel tied down and unable to explore what the world has to offer.

However, it sounds more like he has hit some form of depression and has become cynical of life. It's not easy for you to find the underlying problem, because men generally will not expose their weakness. But you're the one who understands him the most, and are the person most likely to know what's going on.

• I feel horrible from having read this, I hate to think how you must be feeling about your relationship. But you need to really ask yourself this question. Is this man really worthy all the agitation and arrogance. I know it's going to be hard but you need to immediately find the courage and the maturity to sit him down and have a serious conversation and reflection on your relationship. Be honest with him, tell him how you feel. If he is stubborn enough to get angry or not feel the need to talk it out then seriously consider ending the relationship.

Trust and communication are probably the strongest things you'll ever find in a relationship, without them you will both be on top of each other heads accusing them of things and it's just a mess. You need to clear up the mess before moving on to other things, and if the mess doesn't want to be cleared up then just leave it and be down with him.

People can change in a very short space of time, and if he's not happy with you and you can sense it after 5 months! Don't dig your hole deeper than it already is. Good luck!

• I feel like we're missing something crucial that occurred but if you're (both of you) determined to save this marriage then get help, going to marriage counseling doesn't mean you've failed, means you're fighting to make it work.

• You dont deserve to be treated like that.
    I think your only option would for you both to go to a couples therapy and see if you can determine what his issue actually is. I have a feeling that it won't be easy for you to convince him to go.

Honestly you do not deserve to be treated like that, and if he is not willing to work with you to save your marriage, then you will be better of quitting ahead of time.

With all the comments you mentioned, it seems like he is preparing you for him leaving. Get there first, get the divorce papers and make him sign them. See how he feels then. You beat him to it, because he is treating you poorly and you deserve much better.

Good luck!

• How long did you date before marrying?

• Uh oh... emotional issues have turned up. It could be because of your insecurities or his. Hinestly the reason yiu were attracted may be because of these underlying issues amd they need worked out... possibly childhood wounds... could just be differences in people and values Get a marriage counselor asap... not all are good so try several. I have one if want to talk w them.

His anger is rooted in his base emotions... which are not good.

• Sorry to say but it seems like your relationship is only bound by paper at this point and otherwise you're pretty much separated and considering his harshness there's probably no way to reverse that

Saying you look like you're dying tends to mean you look ridiculously skinny, do you eat enough?

• I am sorry to hear about your pain. More ao because I am a very firm believer in the institution of marriage and I have much larger respect for people who decide to live as a married couple.

I think he is not mature enough. He was atupid if he expected that marriage after being together would create some kind of a miracle spiritual bond. Marriage is lot of hard work. You have to make it work. The aigns he is showing are not very good though.

• Him:
    "marriage was a logical"... "we are still separate humans" with "separate plans" and at any time, something might happen and we "might divorce".

You:
    Before, he would be so happy about "making money for us", "cleaning the home for us" or "taking me out"... The plans we had before, such as "living in another country"...

So basically he got married because he thought it was the logical thing. You got married because you want him to get money and gifts for you, clean up after you, and take you traveling... Sure I can see why that would end any time. I don't know how it could start from his end of the bargain though...

• YouR hubby might be listening to his separated/divorce friends they could be giving him ideas because their relationship went south. Or he's waking up knowing he's now a married man and he's freaking out after only 5 month. He might want out.

• Sounds to me like the feeling has escaped him, whether he is applying his happiness to someone else now is questionable.

If I were you, I would give him the boot for awhile. You both need some time apart and some counseling.

However, it appears as though he has made up his mind. A marriage is 50/50 so if he is out already then consider getting it over with. It might make you both happier!

• Twenty three is still a young age to marry. Divorcing at that age isn't the end of the world. Don't just stay in a marriage to stay in a marriage if that marriage is a one way street. This guy clearly does not love you the way he once did and it sounds like you are putting more effort into the marriage to make it work and to no avail. It hurts but you deserve better. This guy doesn't respect you and appreciate you enough to to be in a marriage. Be happy, find someone else and avoid depression and mental hospital.

• 2 things you should never do to destroy a good relationship..!

1.) Marry
    2.) Have a baby

These two things have proven to destroy many gr8 relationships..

So the thing is that I think your husband is not in love with you anymore... Its a tough situation really I men hire can a portion change in 5 months?

• i know this is bad. but you should divorce this guy. he has issues.

• Wow what the heck is wrong with this guy.. It sounds like he might be trying to push you in to divorce or something similar.

• I didn't even read all of this, I didn't need to. Your husband is not happy and may have his eyes on someone else. Sounds like he is smoothing the path for a future break up.

• Who cares if you separate at 23?
    YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR MENTAL AND PSYCHICAL HEALTH...
    How long did you know him before tying the knot?

• With that wall of text you just posted I hate you too. Really? Use paragraphs please.

• There are paragraphs they just aren't seperated.

• @BaileyisDarcy

par·a·graph
      ˈperəˌɡraf/
      noun
      noun: paragraph; plural noun: paragraphs
      1.
      a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.

dis·tinct
      dəˈstiNG (k) t/
      adjective
      adjective: distinct
      1.
      recognizably different in nature from something else of a similar type.
      physically separate.

• If there were no paragraphs, then i myself would not have read it.
      I hate blocks of writing.

But, while block-like in shape, the question does have paragraphs. If it didn't it would be an actual block without the indents.

• Separate humans with separate plans... Really !! Divorce him , that right there is not unity. That guy sound sick in the head. Find someone deserving of you instead.

• Early marriage... From this story, your husband sounds like a D-bag. When you are in a serious realationship, both should respect each other.

• Hurry and get an annulment before the six month mal!

• How did this man impress you in the first place?

• classic example of why people shouldn't get married so fuckin young!

• Reading that is sad.

• This sounds like another case where the guy did a cost benefit analysis after the marriage instead of before and realized that there is no benefit for a man to be married.

• This is why premarital therapy should be required by law...

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 35

• Marriage is still a marriage, it is not about you being married at 23 or being young. There is nothing wrong with you two marrying young, or changes in a marriage. Marriage is all about changes and you two growing together as a couple. What it is is that he wants to be married to you and stay married. He just feels very confused because he had no idea that marriage is hard. No matter who you marry, or what stage in your life you marry, Marriage itself is DIFFICULT.

He had a positive outlook of him marrying you, but at the same time, he was naive to how marriage changes and shape a person. Marriage is not about two separate people. Marriage is about two people coming together as ONE. You are both ONE and became ONE when you consummated the marriage. That is why this is so badly effecting you because you sense his hurt, and he felt like because of your depression that he is the root of the problem. So he feels like crap. I don't believe this marriage is failing, but at a stand still because you two are stagnate in your marriage. Marriage goes and downs. You should know this because what does your vows say? For richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse. Work it out, encourage him and each other. That is your duty as a wife and likewise him as your husband. If you stop feeling down and get over your depression, his attitude will get better and the marriage will improve. Don't give up. It is not the end of the world. You two just need to find a new direction and he needs to step up and be the leader over you and the head of the household. Right now as a wife support him in all things, as you chosen him to be your husband and head over you. Hopes this helps.

• Perhaps he is holding you accountable for the relationship breakdown - it hurts to have your romantic expectations not met.

I noticed you said you are suffering with depression.
    I am really sorry to say this but not many relationships last unless you can try your best to cure yourself.
    Worst thing you can do is rely on your husband or any man - they will either feel suffocated or take advantage of your dependence.

Saying things like, "I did it for myself" or his change of attitude to marriage sounds like he is being suffocated. You might not even that needy but a depressed partner can emotionally exhaust and bring their lover down.

I know its easier said than done but the only way to save this relationship is by saving yourself. Heal your depression and become yourself again.
    He signed a contract to be with YOU in sickness and health - so kindly remind him this but show and prove to him that you are getting the help you need with or without him.

You have your mother to rely on for these thing not your lover. Always remember this!
    And focus more time on being apart.

As soon as he sees you trying to mend yourself independently.. his respect will grow for you once more and the love will come back.
    That will motivate the both of you to find a place together as living with mum can strain a relationship!
    Maybe during your healing time you can try asking him to stay elsewhere so you can really, truly focus on you as the lack of affection definitely isn't helping.

• The last thing you what is a divorce at this age, I get it. But the last thing you should want is being tied to a man who is taking you for granted and makes you and even your mother uncomfortable. If I had a husband who raised his voice at my mom, there's no way I'd go home with him.

Let's start from the top for reasons on why I believe he's done with the marriage.
    1) He believes something will happen in the future that dictates a divorce. So, he's anticipating it instead of working with you to solve these problems. Shouldn't any type of separation scare him enough to try to move into action? Doesn't seem like it.

2) He took his ring off, which is dangerous becuase other women may think he's available. Does he want them to think that? How do you know he's not already seeing somebody?

3) He's disturbed when you say you love him, which is the whole damn point of the marriage. That's why you married him. If he thinks of it as needy or that your love is high-schoolish, why did he marry you in the first place? All of this was supposed to be cleared up before then. I don't get why people trip down the aisle so much before really knowing what they want.

4) So, now he can't handle a compliment or appreciation for something as simple as cleaning the house. He did it for himself? Isn't it your mother's house?

5) He invited you to a festival, but you thought spending time a part would be better, in particular three days apart. Going WITH him might have been better so you guys spend time with each other. So, what's going to happen when he comes back? The problem is STILL there that you guys didn't fix. It doesn't just go away. Instead of drifting apart, you both you should come together, TALK and try to figure this out.

6) If a man is making you consider quitting your job and checking into a mental hospital, then he's not the one for you. He should make you happy, smile, make you feel secure, to depend on him, etc.

Girl, listen, grow a backbone and realize how much self-worth you have. Settling for less is not going to work, for you WILL suffer. Life is way too short for this. You still have energy and youth to invest in other things. You can't force anyone to love you or come around if they won't do it according to their desire.

• I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Is he 23 too? Maybe you got married too young. Have you thought about spending some time apart? A little distance can fix things sometimes.

• Hey Blonde401, thanks for stopping by, that was very kind of you. I do have the frequent feeling that he is way more immature than what I thought he was. We are soon going to spend a week apart, as he is going to a music festival in another city. He actually invited me to come, but I politely rejected and said it may be healthy to spend some time apart. Let's see how it goes, perhaps after the festival he will have a fresher mind. And me too.

• I hope he does come back from that with a healthier mind set. It could be a number of things. I imagine he feels a bit suffocated with currently living with your mother too, though I'm sure those things cannot be helped, it can make a man feel less like a man and less like King of his castle if that makes sense. Feel free to message me sometime if you just wanna chat/vent to someone. I'm a good listener

• I feel like there has got to be more to this... no one changes that drastically out of no where. It doesn't make it acceptable for him to treat you the way he has been, but if you can figure out the underlying cause of this drastic change you can bring it to his attention and offer to work through the issue together as a team. If he's unwilling to put the work in, then I'm sorry but your marriage is dead and you're better off getting out now than lingering in an unhappy and unhealthy marriage. Staying in this relationship the way it is now will only worsen your depression and quite possibly lead to suicide. Don't let it get that far.

• I am so sorry this happened! I was married once. My ex husband started changing too, around 6 months after. I literally felt like he thought I had a disease. He never wanted to touch me. Hated kissing me. Etc. It just got to the point where I had to leave. Then he cried and said he didn't want to divorce. I was so confused but now 2 and a half years later I am confident I made the right choice.

Sounds like you married a douche. I am sorry for saying that but what kind of "man" says these things to his wife? Its just wrong and you don't deserve that! My best advice, seeing it isn't going to change any time soon, would be to do yourself a favor & get the fuck out now. He will not only see that he fucked up big time but that you have moved on & he lost you-not the other way around. Best to ya and I hope you find happiness with someone who does deserve you!

• Well, first mistake was getting married before the age of 25. Let's be honest, it's a high percentage of failure within marriages where both parties are 1.) before the age of 25; 2.) the husband and/or wife does not have a least a college degree and 3.) unhealthy living conditions. Living with your mother? Really? Look, im not here to make anybody feel bad, I'm just stating the obvious and from the standpoint that I'm viewing this as: He is completely miserable and wants you to be as well.

Your husband is being watched like a hawk by your mother and yourself and as a man he is under a substantial amount of pressure as he still wants to do what he wants because he's a young adult. You two both went into this very foolishly believing that it would be easy and that marriage would seal the deal. Marriage is hard Hun. It's not easy and that is why the priest or the judge emphasizes "for better or for worse". If you are not ready, DO NOT go into it. Simple. However, part of life is making mistakes and learning from them.

You two have two options: 1.) Work on a compromise. He needs to be able to open up to you and tell you exactly how he is feeling and why he is behaving this way, he may very well not even know himself. Perhaps, he is just going through a phase. Consider counseling and maybe you two need some time away from mommy for awhile. Work on getting you two your OWN place when you two can learn to communicate and compromise.
    2.) You two can call it quits and just get a paper divorce and move on with your lives. Who knows? Maybe one day down the line you two can reconnect or maybe you'd find someone better.
    If you tried anything you could to save your marriage, then your only option would be option 2. Good luck. I hope all turns out the best for you both :-)

• It sounds like he has moved on. I don't know why his change of heart, but everything you are saying implies to me that it's the wrong person saying it. If he won't even talk to you, I think your best bet would be to move out and start divorce proceedings yourself. Maybe then he will realise there is a big issue.

Have you tried speaking to his mother and asking if he has changed his behaviour with her as well as you? If you have no luck talking to him, she might.

I understand this is upsetting and depressing but I don't think you need to go into a mental hospital. Without being too harsh, all you are suffering with is a bad bump in your life and a case of the weepies. People in mental hospitals have much bigger issues like, two people in their head at once, violent towards others or themselves. The general rule of thumb is you don't need it unless you are a harm to yourself or others. You are neither.

• Wow it sounds as if he wants out. Are you willing to settle? A loveless marriage isn't worth it girl. Y'all have no kids so get out while you can. You're still young, I'd rather be divorced which I'm seeking than be trapped and miserable with a man who doesn't love me. I wish I had better advice to give you but I don't. I wish you the best as I know it's hard.

• He has a problem. You don't deserve that at all. He is being such a rude man. Honestly, if i were you i would leave him at least for a short time to see if maybe he's just going through something rough and or is having an angry phase. But l this just broke my heart a bit. Don't let him treat you like this.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to help... I know I am tired and depressed lately, but I think I am still capable of distinguishing normal from rude behavior and already told him directly I will not accept him raising his voice to me or making me feel useless again. This week he will go to a music festival and invited me to come. I said he should go alone to spend some time away from me, it will do him some good. I truly believe we need at least 3 days apart... thanks for stopping by.

• Sounds like he feels like he got married too early. You need to bring this up with him and be prepared for whatever he says to you but he sounds like he doesn't want to be married anymore.

• Thank you for your attention, yes I have spoken about this often and he seems to be disturbed about the concept of being tied up or stuck to somebody, although he DID NOT show this before marriage. Perhaps now it is real and he is scared. I advised him to go to a festival he wanted to go to for a week. He invited me to come, but I said it may do him well to spend some time away from me.

• I'm not shocked at all that he's changed. If he's the same age as you, then that's a huge reason. Most guys like their freedom in their 20's and when they don't have it, they feel restricted, which is probably what he's feeling now. Have you flat out asked him if he wants to stay married to you?

• If communication isn't working then divorce or separation is probably the answer. If you're both miserable, why stay in a relationship that you're unhappy in? I have a feeling this is one of those relationships where you two (or at least he did) thought you were in love, but you really weren't. I've known so many couples who do that and end up divorced in a year. It's why you don't rush these things. It something you need to hurry up with. I don't know how your sex life has been, but you don't want to end up pregnant right now. You're lucky at the moment that there aren't any children involved. That's why it's best now to make a decision before you do bring a child into what could be a loveless marriage.

• "Before, he would be so happy about making money for us, cleaning the home for us or taking me out. Right now, if I even thank him for cleaning the house, he will say "I did it for myself". Maybe resentment since you making him do a lot just by himself?
    He frequently criticizes me for being insecure and once said I look like I am going to "die" all the time." That a little scary that you said that and little over dramatic.
    Sorry but it seems like your little too much and I guess for him it boiling down to resentment and annoyance. .

• I think you're omitting some details?
    Have you been living with your mom since you got married?

The thing is, even if he is just disappointed with marriage and mostly himself for not being able to do better, he's saying things way out of line that would have not taken place if he still loved you. It seems invented...

Your mother seems pretty lucid though. Good for her for not accepting such a treatment!
    I think your excuse of a husband is still around just because of that roof. You better get out of that depression and wake him up to reality. Don't subject yourself to him like a pet who needs him like you need air to breathe. Specially because he doesn't like it and it's making him lose respect for you.
    Ironically, he may feel like you depend on him. Be strong!

• Did You try to do something for him? Like diner or I don't know make him relax after work? I would try that if not... I would confront him if he wouldn't want to talk about his behavior and tell me what is about it 9 like maybe living with Your mother in the same house, lack of privacy? Problems at work ) and I would tell him seriously that he's hurting me and or we sit down and he tells me what he thinks I'm doing wrong or what's bothering me or he'll be seeing the divorce papers. If He would brush me off I would wait a week if he wouldn't change I would put the divorce papers in front of him just to see how he would react. Than it's simple, or he will wake up and see You're not joking and he messed around bad or He'll accept it and with that You'll know You couldn't do anything about it.. And with 23 years go forward.

• It sounds like you have total grounds for claiming you were married under false pretenses. Your husband is not acting like the man he portrayed himself to be and sounds unstable at best. Just remember, your well being comes first. Draw your line in the sand and see if he's willing to work with you within that. Wishing you the best, hun.

• When you get married at a young age or too soon, it can begin to feel like bondage more so than a beautiful union between two people.

• Making $ for us? You don't make any?

• He's abusive af. Do you really want to spend your life with someone who doesn't care about you? if I was you, I'd leave him.

• Well tried marriage councilling? Somethings changeD in him

• Oh my gosh, if you think back, do you know what triggered his abnormal behavior? As a married woman, I'm going to say that you don't deserve this.
    Life is already tough, marriage is supposed to make it easier..
    Know your self worth. Love yourself! Try and talk to him about it? Maybe see if he's cheating on you?

• It seems as some outside forces (friends/family) have been telling him negative things about either you/marriage. Does he have a weak mind that is easily persuadable?

• Oh my god... thank god I'm alone

• It seems like a divorce is the solution here. You do not sound happy.

• You married way too young. Perhaps he's just adjusting to his married life now. Maybe it hasn't sink in yet. Give it some time

• Maybe you've changed and got all clingy

• He wants a divorce.

• I don't know why he's acting that way. I don't understand his change of heart. He is very abusive all of the sudden. You guys should see a marriage therapist.

• Your husband sounds like a douchebag

• Some people apparently start panicking or getting frustrated after they've married (I used to hear this a few times, still haven't figured out why though). . . It sounds really bad.

Without wanting to say your marriage would fail, I think it was best if you stopped worrying about it (self fulfilling prophecy). Your husband is right with one thing: you need to focus on your own individual life and hobbies a bit more. After all he wanted to marry you for you (not so you could take care of him all day long).

• More from Girls
    5