I saw a picture of my ex and his new girlfriend on her Instagram and I feel relieved?

I had suspicions he was seeing someone and I had a peek at her Instagram earlier and saw a picture of them cuddling in bed.

At first I thought "Wow, so she is with him then."

And then I felt... relieved? I'm trying to work out what emotion is it I'm feeling but I'm not sure. It definitely feels like a weight had been lifted off me. I've even been smiling to myself.

It's strange. I was absolutely crazy about him when we broke up. I was so in love. But we've had no contact for a while now and I can't even remember his voice. He feels so far away now.

I feel fine, but if I saw that picture two months ago I would have probably cried all night... Does this mean I am over my ex boyfriend? I still think about him a lot, but hardly as much as I used to.

34

Most Helpful Girl

• When my ex and I broke up, I felt totally sh*t. I tried to get him back for the longest time but basically all we did was fight. I was constantly scared he'd get a new girlfriend, and I dreaded the day it would finally happen. I was sure it would totally break me and I wouldn't be able to get anything done in my life. Well, eventually he stopped talking to me and a couple of months later I found out (via Facebook) that he has a new girlfriend. When I found out, it felt weird. Granted, I sort of thought he may have someone so it didn't come as a total surprise. It's hard to describe how it felt. At first, I was shocked, sad, angry. But this only lasted for maybe half an hour. Then, like you, I felt relieved. I think for me, it is because I can finally let go. I've been hanging on to him and the hope of being with him again one day for so long that it turned into an obsession. My whole world, as sad as it is, revolved around getting him back, around being scared he'd find someone else, etc. Now that it has happened, I feel relieved because I can stop being tense, I can stop hoping, I can return to my life and live it. At times, very rarely, I still feel a bit weird about the fact he's with someone new. But then, I do so with almost all of my exes. It's not jealousy or sadness, it's merely wondering what he's like in the new relationship. If he does the same mistakes he did with me, treats her better, etc. But mainly, I feel relieved because him being with someone means that I could finally let go of him.