What does "seeing someone" mean?

I'm a bit confused, since I'm new to dating. I've been dating this guy for a little over 2 months now that I met on OKC back in February. We have been moving pretty slowly overall, but recently he has told me that I'm special to him, that he really likes me, and that he still can't believe I'm real (he's waiting to wake up and realize it was a dream, type deal). He texts me everyday, and told me that I'm one of the few people he talks to since he doesn't have many friends. It's taking a while, but we're both finally starting to get comfortable with one another. Initially all of our dates were in public, but both of us are very introverted so at this point we usually just hang out at my house and watch movies/spend the day together. If we do go do something, it's usually something that he knows that I enjoy. He has told me that he's afraid that I'll get sick of him or that he'll do something wrong and scare me off.

Anyway, he's leaving to go to school for about 3 months, and he asked me if we were going to keep seeing each other when he got back. He's pretty cuddly/affectionate with me (took about a month to get to that point) and he wants to keep in touch in the meantime. Also, he has used "our relationship" to describe us before...

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• For me, seeing someone means dating exclusively. So when I tell another guy I am seeing someone, that means I won't be dating other guys but the one I am seeing. Although, we are not yet officially in a relationship, but we have committed to each other to at least date exclusively. Hope that helps.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why are you asking us when you describe yourselves as seeing one another? I don't really understand what you're asking us or what we can answer for you

0|0
    0|0
    • The question asked "what does "seeing someone" mean?" So, what does it mean? He described it that way. Obviously I'm "seeing him" if I'm seeing him. I just don't know what it entails. Is it just another word for dating someone?

• Show All
    • Isn't dating the "getting to know someone" phase? I'm just confused because some people say it means relationship, and others exactly what you just said. I've just never used the term before.

• *shrugs* That's why I say you should talk to him about it so you can hash out all the expectations that you both have.

Most Helpful Guys

• "Seeing someone" is hanging out with them, can be hooking up, basically spending their time and effort into that person. But it isn't officially dating or relationship status yet.

1|0
    0|0
    • Are they heading towards exclusive? Or heading towards the friends with benefits direction?

• That's between them, if those two are just seeing eachother for fun and they are keeping it under the radar, then it is most likely FWB. But if they are publicly showing eachother together in things, then it is leaning towards a relationship

• Seeing someone to me means that we are not official yet, but it is possible

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I would say seeing someone is basically the same as dating. She seems confused though like she's unsure if the relationship is even going anywhere. Are you sure she didn't mean you? Cause if you asked that and she though she was seeing you it would make her doubt. But if not then she's probably just unsure of that relationship.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not sure if she meant me. But she likes spending time with me, even though she's kinda shy. Plus I forgot to add in the post that she also said that she didn't want to think that they were seeing each other and then end up like, "whoa, this is a misunderstanding". I really don't know what she meant by that

• Show All
    • And yes, I do like her. We've actually gotten along on so many things, we have multiple similar interests and bottom line, she's a nice person. And yes, when I look at it the way you do, it seems like a probability that she could be talking about me.

• I see. Regardless I think you should 1) let her know how you feel and see what she says (if you're confident enough) or 2) ask her what she feels about you or if she can see you two in a relationship. That way she is able to explain the situation. And I hope you don't get hurt or anything, but by the way the situation seems in my opinion, I feel she likes you whether or not she is seeing someone. If she is, she's still unsure about it. And if it's you she's talking about (which is very well may be) you will be able to clear things up by asking her. Please feel free to ask me anything or message me. I hope you the best of luck!

• I think seeing someone literally means you've been hanging out and seeing them, it could potentially go somewhere. As for dating some people would say you're not quite official yet but heading that direct or you're in a relationship.

1|0
    0|0
    • Its like seeing where it will lead. But seeing someone doesn't mean they are exclusive isn't it? Because this guy, he is still cool to date me even if he is seeing someone "at the moment" I feel that im a back up.

• No it doesn't, unless you've talked that you wanted to head that direction!

• I think it's not at the relationship stage, i think she may have been on 1-2 dates with him, she probably doesn't know where she stands with him, don't stop talking to her if you like her, you've still got a chance!

2|0
    0|0
  • I woulf say persue him... Be the real deal if your heart told you that he's the one for you then chase him till the end to the end of world and beyond if you have to

Btw a word of advice don't follow everything to the last word use a little sense as well or he might get offended

0|0
    0|0
  • seeing someone -

'Unofficially' going steady with someone. Dating without the boy/girlfriend 'label'.

Is sometimes used to describe a relationship where individuals are having casual sex and are not actually 'item'.

Guy- "Do you have a boyfriend?"

Girl- "No, but I'm sort of seeing someone"

1|0
    0|0
  • It most likely means she is 'involved" with someone, but is unclear where she stands with them. Usually seeing and dating someone are the same, in my experience both terms means it's just that "dating" without being exclusive or a commitment. Depends on her mindset, you said you have been talking to her a lot it could be possible she is talking about you. If you are interested in her, you should just ask her out.

2|0
    0|0
    • @Shannon316 she's a shy girl and to be honest, kinda weird. But she's nice. And we've been talking quite a bit for like the past few weeks. Plus I forgot to add in the post that she also said that she didn't want to think that they were seeing each other and then end up like, "whoa, this is a misunderstanding". When I asked her, she was exactly like "Yes, no, I don't know!" -_-

• when you said your friend asked the host if he was single and the host told her he's seeing someone, the host may have assumed he was seeing you and thought your friend was just some other girl.

a breakup is hard to get over and he might not want to jump into another relationship because he needs time to heal. it's weird that he didn't at least offer to be friends though.

0|0
    0|0
    • My sister asked her friend if he was single and he said he was seeing someone. I requested his friendship on Facebook and sent him my number and haven't heard so guess he's not even interested in a friendship if he's seeing someone so I'm just going to forget it and get on with my life, if he wants to know he has my number now.

• that's good. as long as you did what you could to get him to notice you the rest is up to him.

• It means they are f***ing.

Further attachment may also be implied, but the fact that they are having sex is the only thing that's certain. Further attachment may or may not proceed from this.

2|0
    0|0
  • Considering she doesn't have eye problems, she probably means she's exclusive with someone. Although, why'd she say I think I'm seeing someone? Maybe she does have bad eyesight.

0|1
    0|0
    • Haha, well she said that she didn't want to think that they were seeing each other and then end up like, "whoa, this is a misunderstanding". But we certainly can't rule out bad eyesight!

• Hmmm. Non conformity sucks. I think you should just assume she's in a relationship. Not just think.

• Alright. Thanks!

• To me:
    Dating someone means you and that person go on dates.
    Seeing someone means you are in a relationship.

0|0
    1|0
    • So this guy told me he is "kind of seeing someone" He also told he can date me but not sure of sex. Does it mean he's exclusive with that girl?

• I think that means he is dating her. But not exclusive.

He may be the very few people in this world that believe in only sleeping with one person at a time (I strongly believe in this).

• Could mean either... I'm hanging out with them... not getting too close.. like kissing & touching... but just with them... getting to know them...

Or,

Having a physical relationship... as well as emotional... a. k. a "Full on Relationship"

0|0
    0|0
  • When you tell someone else that you are "seeing someone" it means that you are committed to another whether you are just dating or boyfriend/girlfriend. You would be warning the other person that nothing is going to happen between the two of you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea, sounds like you too are going from dating to relationship. Best to talk to him about it and make things clear for both of you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It means "taken" but with a subtext - "if you'll try good-enough, I'll give you a chance"

When you say "I have a girlfriend" only then it means "sod off"

0|0
    0|0
  • seeing how you get on in a relationship before confirming your an item,x

1|0
    0|0
  • She's talkijng to someone but they haven't offically labeled it is my guess.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sounds like the verge of a relationship. It’s only a matter of either of you declaring it officially

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe that's another way of saying the dating phase? As in before you're in a committed boyfriend and girlfriend relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean you guys made an agreement right? Hey you can always choose to back off it if the agreement was not clear.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be nice to him but don't pursue it...if he wants it he will come around. At least that way he won't see or feel he has you hooked and his frue feeling will either surface or sink. During the meantime...someone else may happen into your life that makes you forget all about who that guy was,LOL In Short...kick back and enjoy life and just act more like he is...no reason not to be respectful yet, don't go out of your way. Wait for that guy that does go out of his way...that's what everyone wants.

1|1
    0|0
  • To me seeing some one is a person who I really care about and wanting to know more about and let nature takes it course,

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. He's telling you that the two of you are exclusive and he expects you to get the word out.

0|0
    0|0
  • You have eyes that work

0|3
    0|0
  • dating someone

0|0
    0|0
  • It's the step that comes before dating someone

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it means dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • You’re in a relationship.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes it does

0|0
    0|0
  • It means you're dating

0|0
    0|0
  • Could mean different things.

0|0
    0|0
  • seeing someone to me is the same as saying I have a man. I'm committed to him and that's that (:

0|0
    0|0
  • it means you guys are dating, doesn't mean gf/bf, but dating

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes