I just learned that my boyfriend has scoliosis.

So I've been with my boyfriend for two years and tonight he told me he has scoliosis. Apparently he's had it ever since I've known him.

I knew his back was odd, but I guess I never put two and two together. I always just thought it was like that because he was so muscled from swimming (competitive swimmer) and being so thin.

Apparently not!

So um...I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. I mean, obviously it's not a problem and it doesn't affect his ability to do normal things and it's obviously not so horrible that it's obvious ('cause I'm certainly shocked right now lol). And I'm not going to dump him or anything and it doesn't change how I feel about him at all. And it doesn't affect his swimming (he's actually nationally ranked and looking at the 2016 Olympics so maybe it's GOOD for it lol). So there's no issue at all minus his back bothers him every one in a while.

Apparently if his spine were straight he'd be 6'8/6'9 instead of 6'5/6'6. But it's good he's not that tall because that'd be too tall (I'd come up to his elbow).

I know a lot of you don't care about this lol but just humor me in my dumbfoundedness.

I guess my question is whether or not scoliosis is genetic.

I am planning on eventually marrying him (don't worry guys, he knows this :p) and obviously that would mean the eventual potential for children. Would my children then have potential for scoliosis or is it not genetic?
His spine doesn't curve out to the side or anything, his back is just very arched. Not humpbacked or anything. Just a really big curve. I don't know how to explain it and he doesn't have any good pictures.

44

Most Helpful Guy

• 80% of the time the known cause of scoliosis is a secret to doctors. The first gene clearly related to idiopathic scoliosis (scoliosis of unknown cause) was found at the conclusion of a 10-year study, the results of which were published in 2007. Variations in this gene, CHD7, can make people more susceptible to idiopathic scoliosis. It is still unclear how this gene affects a person's susceptibility. I have it a little bit and would be about 2 inches taller. I suffer from occasional back pain but otherwise I am quite happy and healthy.