I just learned that my boyfriend has scoliosis.

So I've been with my boyfriend for two years and tonight he told me he has scoliosis. Apparently he's had it ever since I've known him.

I knew his back was odd, but I guess I never put two and two together. I always just thought it was like that because he was so muscled from swimming (competitive swimmer) and being so thin.

Apparently not!

So um...I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. I mean, obviously it's not a problem and it doesn't affect his ability to do normal things and it's obviously not so horrible that it's obvious ('cause I'm certainly shocked right now lol). And I'm not going to dump him or anything and it doesn't change how I feel about him at all. And it doesn't affect his swimming (he's actually nationally ranked and looking at the 2016 Olympics so maybe it's GOOD for it lol). So there's no issue at all minus his back bothers him every one in a while.

Apparently if his spine were straight he'd be 6'8/6'9 instead of 6'5/6'6. But it's good he's not that tall because that'd be too tall (I'd come up to his elbow).

I know a lot of you don't care about this lol but just humor me in my dumbfoundedness.

I guess my question is whether or not scoliosis is genetic.

I am planning on eventually marrying him (don't worry guys, he knows this :p) and obviously that would mean the eventual potential for children. Would my children then have potential for scoliosis or is it not genetic?
Updates:
His spine doesn't curve out to the side or anything, his back is just very arched. Not humpbacked or anything. Just a really big curve. I don't know how to explain it and he doesn't have any good pictures.

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• 80% of the time the known cause of scoliosis is a secret to doctors. The first gene clearly related to idiopathic scoliosis (scoliosis of unknown cause) was found at the conclusion of a 10-year study, the results of which were published in 2007. Variations in this gene, CHD7, can make people more susceptible to idiopathic scoliosis. It is still unclear how this gene affects a person's susceptibility. I have it a little bit and would be about 2 inches taller. I suffer from occasional back pain but otherwise I am quite happy and healthy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• Hmm Can't your correct that?

IF his spine is just stretched forward he has kyphosis. A good chiropractor and corrective exercises can fix this. it takes maybe a year but in my experience its fixable.

Yes its genetic if he was born that way.

0|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • No, he hates it. His stroke is the backstroke. And freestyle. But mostly back. Would that do it too? I can understand why breaststroke would do it though. I used to swim that stroke when I swam competitively so I know the movement and it'd make sense. How does one correct it?

• Posture correction is done with stretching and exercises that strengthen the reverse muscles. For instance a swimmer would want to do a lot of pulling exercises like the inverted row and Ys Ts raises. IF your boyfriend has kyphosis his pecs, shoulders and abdominals are very tight. Need to stretch this. There is a lot of info out there on this and a lot that pertains to swimmers. link link

• no i dont think so. i had scoliosis at 14 and surgery at 15, so i wouldn't know for sure... but... what i do know is that most of the time if you get it, it's going to have to be fixed sooner rather than later so it doesn't get worse. if the gets past about a 55-57 degree curve then it will start to affect your organ placement. if it is not corrected at all then it will get worse and worse until he's twisted and turned (with a lot of pain) for the rest of his life.

0|0
    0|0
  • My dad has a curved spine sadly I think I inherited part of his back problems and shoulder problems but I make it work heat, hot showers and deep tissue massages and cold will fix just about anything.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• 0|0
    0|0
  • it tends to run in families. but I and my mother both have scoliosis. no problems besides my lower back aches terribly when I stand for too long or sit uncomfortably. so I end up fidgeting and looking stupid. the curve can be corrected though if I remember correctly one way is through a surgery and the other is a back brace.

0|0
    0|0
  • The potential to develop scoliosis does run in families as far as doctors know. Children and teens are still growing and are vulnerable to developing scoliosis if they have a poor diet and a lack of exercise. If you two have kids, just make sure they eat well and work out, and get any back problems looked at early. But don't be worried.

I have scoliosis with a minor curvature, and it doesn't impact my life in the slightest. My doctor thinks that I was low on calcium as a child, since I am allergic to milk. So now I know to keep up to date with my calcium pills and watch out for developing ostio into my forties. But as long as you keep your kids healthy and active, you are doing your best. Don't be too worried yet!

0|0
    0|0
  • i have slight scoliosis as does my mom. I think it's genetic.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes