No. Women Don't Like Assholes, BUT...

No. Women Don't Like Assholes, BUT...

I read a lot of questions and comments here and elsewhere from self-identified nice guys that presume that women like assholes. They see women dating guys that they consider assholes and instead of asking what it is about those men that women are attracted to, they quickly surmise that women like assholes and if they want women, they need to become an asshole.

Well, I'm here to tell you that it's a lot more complicated than that.

Ladies, you should listen up as well.

The stereotypical asshole that these guys are always pointing to can be described as arrogant, rude, impulsive, inconsiderate, and loud/obnoxious. They're also usually pretty hot.

So, milder, quieter guys who may be struggling to attract women will look at those guys, see those traits, and surmise that THAT is what the hot girls who date, fuck and get hurt by these guys are attracted to. I get it.

...but that's not the whole story.

Blinded by Attraction

Everyone - male or female - gets a little blinded by physical attraction. I do it, you do it, we've all done it. You see a hot stranger and you immediately begin to make up a character for them in your head based off their style, what you can surmise from how they carry themselves and, most tellingly, what YOU want them to be like/hope they're like.

So, now you've seen this hot stranger and you have a picture in your head of who that person is. As you approach them, or are approached by them, you are going to filter everything they say and do through that preconceived image. All the sudden.....

• Arrogange = confidence;
  • Rude = Self-assured;
  • Impulsive = Fun;
  • Inconsiderate = Oblivious;
  • Loud/obnoxious = Funny.

I don't think it's just women who do this. Men do it too. And I think it's important for us to take acknowledge it before we make the same mistake again and again. For some people, it takes several mistakes before they notice the pattern. For others it takes one. For some, we might notice the pattern but it takes a while before we recognise the filtering we're doing at the initial stages as part of the problem. Some will resign to the fact that "I'm just attracted to the wrong kinda guys/girls" and knowingly make the same mistakes over and over, or pull out of the dating game altogether.

Lessons to Learn

GUYS who believe women actually LIKE assholes:

• Recognise that it's not the "being an asshole" part that women end up finding themselves attracted to.
  • Recognise the positive traits that we are ACTUALLY after, and that these are the things we are seeing in the wrong guys.
  • Work on building those traits for yourselves and on being a genuinely good person.

While you're younger and the women in your dating pool are still maturing and figuring these things out the hard way, it may be a little rough, but as you get older, if you don't allow yourself to become jaded and bitter, you'll begin meeting women who reognise these traits in you as well as the fact that you are a genuinely GOOD, kind person.

In those earlier years, maybe try to not concern yourself so much with women - focus on the rest of your life... your career, your hobbies, your friends, travelling, experiencing life...

LADIES who find yourselves constantly hooking up with assholes:

• Learn to recognise your patterns, and the filters you apply.
  • Try to open your eyes to see the other guys who maybe you don't notice immediately, who maybe aren't working up the nerve to approach you with some cheesy line.
  • Set rules and boundaries and don't budge on them just because some guy is hot or a little bit charming.
  • When your gut sends up a red flag, take note of it, don't ignore it.

EVERYONE: Let's just stop generalising about each other based on a few negative experiences. Let's just focus on finding partners with the traits we value, and on possessing those traits ourselves. Let's focus on maintaining reasonable standards and meeting those same expectations ourselves. If that means holding off dating for a while, so be it. It's better to be alone than to be with someone who's not good for you.

1350
Sara413 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• A very good take indeed, and quite correct.

I've never bought into the "women like assholes" philosophy. I've always said women, like men, like attractive people. Sometimes these attractive people turn out to be assholes, but their behavior takes a back seat to other considerations (mainly how attractive they are). The same very much goes for men, and yet I don't seem to hear the cry, "Men only go for bitches!" from women as much as I hear the "Women only go for assholes!" from men.

Most Helpful Girl

• I just want to say one sometimes we don't know if he a asshole, a lot of assholes pretend to be nice guys how would we know if they pretending or not? Later in the relationship we see their true colours. Two if you don't tell her how you feel how is she suppose to know you like her? and three who said she has to like you?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 49

• "While you're younger and the women in your dating pool are still maturing and figuring these things out the hard way, it may be a little rough, but as you get older, if you don't allow yourself to become jaded and bitter, you'll begin meeting women who reognise these traits in you as well as the fact that you are a genuinely GOOD, kind person."

So bassically women spend their youth (the time when they are the most attractive) hooking up with attractive assholes then when she's older and beginning to loose her looks the guys who weren't attractive/fun enough to hook up with in your youth are now worthy of being with you since they focused in their careers and are currently financially stable and good husband material. Oh and of course you won't have sex with them on the first date like you did with all of the hot guys in your youth, this guy has to jump through hoops for you. Then after he marries you he'll probably has 2-3 years of sex before you lose interest in sleeping with him, then by the 10 year mark he's paying child support and alimony. Gee that sounds like a great deal!

• You've exposed the gross hypocrisy of the typical feminine mindset! As you have observed, the sad truth is that "genuinely GOOD, kind" men are not valued at all by most women!

• ((While you're younger and the women in your dating pool are still maturing and figuring these things out the hard way, it may be a little rough, but as you get older, if you don't allow yourself to become jaded and bitter, you'll begin meeting women who reognise these traits in you as well as the fact that you are a genuinely GOOD, kind person. In those earlier years, maybe try to not concern yourself so much with women - focus on the rest of your life... your career, your hobbies, your friends, travelling, experiencing life.))

I donโ€™t see how what I said is incompatible with what your take says, in fact most of the guys interpreted it the same way I did,

Typical condescending comeback. Accuse me of being socially inept and never leaving the house. Its just as original of an insult as when a guy calls a girl a slut in an argument.

" And particularly the average looking ones who are more likely to be interested in ya."

Oh that means I should go for girls who look like you then :)

• Yeah, what a genius idea... lol... look sarcasm.

Face it. You can't win with dating. You always get bashed somehow in some way.

• THIS BUGS ME "While you're younger and the women in your dating pool are still maturing and figuring these things out the hard way, it may be a little rough, but as you get older, if you don't allow yourself to become jaded and bitter, you'll begin meeting women who reognise these traits in you as well as the fact that you are a genuinely GOOD, kind person"

So basically I have to wait for girl? Fuck that. No man must wait for a girl. A man doesn't choose to get jaded or bitter. Women jade the man and he realizes that he isn't worthy of girl hence his bitterness. Then the REALITY is that the guys who did get the women (those assholes) know how to get women over the nice guys through experience and beat them in the later stages anyway. Poor nice boy can't get his girl and settles for the one who finally settles on him. This is sad and ridiculous and people want to know why sex workers can charge so much (massive demand) and why marriages don't work. The guy finally starts to realize what he missed out later in life and hence your 30 your old pick up artists are born, or the man was driven to power (because he couldn't get a girl) and he leaves his wife for the better, younger versions because he can... AND DESERVES it.

• Wow, really?

I could have become bitter and jaded about it when i spent half my twenties trying to find a guy with no luck. But I didn't. I kept my chin up after all my failed attempts.

By all means, though, be bitter about it and pretend WOMEN are the problem. It's not gonna make you an happier.

• If you think that serial dating as a young woman is fun, you're even more clueless than I thought. You have no idea what toll it takes on a person to be lied to and used for sex and tossed aside over and over again when all you're looking for is someone to treat you right. If you think that is somehow less painful than being alone you're an idiot. The years of my twenties that I spent not bothering with dating were far, far happier than the years spent trying and failing to find a good relationship. But I'm thankful I didn't become jaded or bitter or started hating men, because I finally found one who is everything I've been looking for. If I'd become bitter or resentful of men, I never would have found him.

• Used for sex... you know... women don't get this either: Its easy for you to get something like sex. You only have to worry about the "right guy". A guy has to worry about getting just "one girl" There are heaps of guys wishing they just had one sympathy shag at least by ANY girl. Then again, its worse for a guy because now an inexperienced dude has to get his girl (which he never does and settles for somebody that he doesn't truly want), which is not from bitterness but lack of social competency (especially with women). Women are receivers of love, men have to earn it and some are not good at it. I would have loved to be used for sex, then I know I am at least attractive physically to somebody. That's why women are not afraid of loneliness, you know you can get somebody. Men don't have this luxury. Again, im not bitter or hate women, I love women, its just that I have to play women as I am exploring. Simple.

• I love how all the bitter dudes don't have profile pictures lmao

• Basically it's like this:

"No. Women Don't Like Assholes, BUT... they do"

• This is mostly about the last section of the mytake to the LADIES who constantly find themselves hooking up with assholes:

Most of us know that you aren't interested in assholes. What annoys us is how so many of you over and over and over again, mistake apathy, and narcissism, for the magical panty dropping "confidence". I would like to point out that if a guy really did care about you, for more than just sex, and actually wanted a relationship with you, it would be natural for him to be nervous a little bit. He doesn't want to blow it.

But many women take nervousness and altruism for weakness, or "demanding" sex, due to all the nice guy bashing. Then they go back to finding the guys who are never nervous, BECAUSE THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU. Or weather the relationship succeeds or fails.

THAT is why we are so frustrated. The endless cycle of nice guy= perv/doormat and asshole gets the girl, because she doesn't see him for who he really is, until its too late.

• I dunno, I think a lot of women find it kind of cute and endearing when a guy is a little nervous...

• Oh.. umm... but I'm definitely not like that though so people like me must be pretty rare

• Not rare enough.

• Very good take. Shows what men and women are doing, right and wrong rather than taking the "Women are liars!"/"Those guys are misogynistic losers!" route of just insulting one side.

Anyway, you do make a good (though somewhat depressing imo) point when you say: "While you're younger and the women in your dating pool are still maturing and figuring these things out the hard way, it may be a little rough, but as you get older, if you don't allow yourself to become jaded and bitter, you'll begin meeting women who recognize these traits in you as well as the fact that you are a genuinely GOOD, kind person."
    That's kinda worrying really. Because I think that there are good people (men and women) who do become bitter through bad experiences and never recover from it. By the time women are looking for the kind of guy they used to be, they've changed.

• " if you don't allow yourself to become jaded and bitter, you'll begin meeting women who recognize these traits in you as well as the fact that you are a genuinely GOOD, kind person."

Trying not to be "jaded and bitter" but a lot of women that are older still act as they did in HS. Some worse.

• So don't bother with those women...

There are lots of guys out there who still act like they did in high school. I avoid them.

• @genuinlysensitive That certainly does happen but many men become worse too. People are normally screwed up regardless of gender.

• There are women who go for "assholes" that use them and treat them like shit only for them to complain about why they can't find a decent man but that doesn't represent every female out there nor should it and honestly those are the ones to avoid.

But I think what it all comes down to is confidence and having a balance of not being overly interested but also not too distant which can be tough but this whole thing of women only date assholes is bullshit. Going by that logic, everyone who's had a girlfriend, hookup, etc would be an asshole.

• so to sum it up:
    infatuation makes women see bad boy traits as positive. Ie bad boys get the girl
    When the infatuation stage passes, they see him as the jerk he is and dump him. Ie bad boys can't keep the girl.
    The problem is just that before the infatuation stage is over, a lot of cpuples have had sex. And thus when she figures his real colors, she'll feel used. We all know what problems that can cause.

In conclusion. Bad boys get girls, but can't keep them around. That's not how you want to be, is it?

• I always though that they overlooked it because they liked how the guy looks? typically a "nice" guy is a fat nerdy kid or below average guy who hits on extremly gorgeous female friends and act like a doormat they assume the girl shoudl like them and don't realize that they shoudl put in work to be more attractive then said girl says the oh so dreaded"why ruin a nice friendship?" line

homeboy gets bitter, starts acting passive agressive or worse he becomes a pest and starts to whine, whine, whine which in turns makes the girl glad she never liked him

• I actually know quite a few nice guys who look like they could get any woman they want if they were more confident. that doesn't fit your 'fat nerdy kid' stereotype

• Hmm in that case its not their looks its that they scared to make a move. Cause I dont know any good looking chap nice or bad who isn't getting laid

• You make great points that I agree with. I will add that as we mature or become wiser , we realise the physical attraction that we can't ignore is a very unreliable evaluator of a person,
    An many , not all will use that filter all their lives, people have filters not just based on looks , it would be interesting to see how many filters we could identify as a group. Color, race , gender, culture to name a few.
    I passed beside a lot of great women because of my filters , at least I remained respectful while not seeing their worth.
    How great their worth as a person ,. I will never know , but some a still around me living their lives happily and you can kick yourself for not seeing it and I'm not meaning that over time they blossomed and became hot , NO , When your filters fell, you now can see how great a person they are. To make a comparison , its like you see she was like winning the lottery and the tip of the iceberg you see , well even that is AMAZING, but kick yourself , you'll never see or know the rest. I stopped kicking myself, abuse is not acceptable.

BUT the guy that is an asshole , is often an asshole without the filter and in my experience , that's more the rule than the exception , Of the assholes in High School , many are still assholes today , plainly visible to everyone. The good thing; assholes in high school were a minority in the male population.

• My not-so-hot take is that women probably just want to feel like their guy treats them more special than other people.

Thus the whole "he's a totally different person when it's just me and him" slogans.

To be honest, I kinda get it. I mean, I'm not an ass by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely treat my woman much differently than I would treat anyone else.

• Yeah, I think there is a bit of that to it as well... you feel a lot more special when someone who's usually very unemotional is more emotionally vulnerable with you, for example. Again, I think this is one of those things that people, male and female, tend to grow out of as they get a bit older.

• Morale of the story.

It dosent matter how bad of a person you are, as long as you look good.

Thats it. Im dying alone. This has just killed all my respect for women.

The thing is once a man is over the age of 30 and not married the odds of him getting married drop dramatically, once the teenage hormones ease off a bit a man starts to see the world differently, and while women are still important chaining your self to one often is no longer a desirable choice. Sure some men become bitter but for many bachelorhood just makes sense! Maybe a lot of women can't relate to this well or something but many men, maybe even most, can be perfectly happy not getting married.

Interesting note, the age of getting married for men is at about 29 and rising... There is a trend across all developed countries where men are starting to opt out of their traditional gender rolls, being provider for a wife and kids, instead they choose to pursue their interests.

• The issue with this post is by the time women do reach the point of maturity usually when they are in their 30's where they are ready to give the nice guy a chance is that they don't even look decent anymore. They have aged so much, and not just that, but they have fathered a children, or two with the bad boy. Why would they want to take that burden?

Even if they didn't have children do good men really like the idea of taking in a women that have been used up like a sponge by the bad men? I mean good men are usually decent people that actually tried to save their virginity (eh hem), and not lose it to some random slut so why should they give something so precious to someone who blew what they had in a one night stand.

The last fact is that most western women are not worth it anymore. Even if you ladies mature you still keep that a*****e attitude that hurt men in the long run. Usually western women take money while providing little to a good man that tries to take care of them, and if a good guy makes a mistake you can say good bye to half his life savings, and properties to a divorce court, and if he had children then he loses his rights to see them so now that is even worse for him in the long run as he has to pay child support.

In the end most western men will actually seek women from overseas rather then pick a spoiled westernized women who has been ruined by 1980 feminism since they won't do none of the above, and they actually value good men from the get go. :).

• he's right about western women ESPECIALLY American women. Feminism, pop culture and liberalism has warped them to be miserable, selfish cunts. There are exceptions (my ex was one) but they are unfortunately very rare. I love my country but there is something very wrong with our women.

• What's that adage? "Bad boys are no good but good boys are no fun"?

I generally find it's accurate. If you're a decent enough looking guy (which, I'd like to think I am, though I'm sure people would disagree) you can pretty much get away with most things, teasing included, that a completely unattractive guy wouldn't, regardless of how genuinely decent a person he is.

It is true for men though. I'll admit I've sometimes been somewhat blinded to a prettier girl's bitchy actions before waking up and saying to myself "holy shit, this person's actually not very nice", even if she might be pleasant to me personally. Whereas I get the feeling if it was someone I didn't personally find attractive, I'd be much more cognisant of their attitude and would feel far more negatively about it as a result.

• All my life on gag and questions about why women date assholes boiled down to this take. This take answers it all because I used to be an asshole like guy and had everything going for me (i still am a little bit).

I was exactly like how this take described it. I felt no need to change unfortunately due to the gains i was getting because although many girls will decide consciously that they don't like assholes and all that, the fact is, when they are faced with the real situations, some will let their subconscious take over their minds due to attraction and they will then fall for the asshole (which pretty much happens to me all the time)

• then why are even you wasting your time on here? Shouldn't you be grabbing some girls tits right now instead of using a keyboard? I have a hard time believing you are a true asshole.

• I said I used to be one ๐Ÿ˜‚

It's holidays now and I don't have the transport to get out of the house so nea

I'm on my phone by the way ๐Ÿ˜‚

• I liked your take quite a bit, but I'd like to point out that most people's definition of asshole is much to wide. Relationships will almost always go on either the mans time and frame, or the woman's. many guys are labels assholes simply because they do not defer to the woman's judgement as to how the relationship will function.

• "Try to open your eyes to see the other guys who maybe you don't notice immediately, who maybe aren't working up the nerve to approach you with some cheesy line." the chance of finding a Keeper that way is extremely high.

• @Sara413 You damned Canadian genius! An interesting thought I had whilst pursuing:

Arrogange = confidence;
    Rude = Self-assured;
    Impulsive = Fun;
    Inconsiderate = Oblivious;
    Loud/obnoxious = Funny.

---------------------------

Arrogance
    Rude
    Impulsive
    Inconsiderate
    Loud/Obnoxious

---------------------------

Arrogance=Considered something for little boys to work on as they grow up
    Rude=Considered something for little boys to work on as they grow up
    Impulsive=Considered something for little boys to work on as they grow up
    Inconsiderate=Considered something for little boys to work on as they grow up
    Loud/Obnoxious=Considered something for little boys to work on as they grow up

--------------------------------------------

TAKEAWAY: EMBRACE YOUR INNER LITTLE BOY AND DON'T FILTER HIM AND DON'T STIFLE HIS BRASHNESS

brash1
    braSH/Submit
    adjective
    self-assertive in a rude, noisy, or overbearing way.
    "he could be brash, cocky, and arrogant"
    synonyms: self-assertive, pushy, cocksure, cocky, self-confident, arrogant, bold, audacious, brazen, bumptious, overweening, puffed up; More
    strong, energetic, or irreverent.
    "I like brash, vibrant flavors"
    (of a place or thing) having an ostentatious or tasteless appearance.
    "the cafe was a brash new building"

• This is not true for most girls lol

Maybe for you... but it has been shown girls like dickheads because
    - he treats everyone else bad but treats her like a queen
    - usually the ones that are assholes have higher confidence, which attracts more women
    - a lot get a thrill on the constant bantering between each other vs a boring guy
    - it's a challenge and it lures women, we all know people want what they can't have

And there you have it

• More from Guys
    29

What Girls Said 12

• Here's the thing... just because women reject one guy doesn't mean the guy should surmise that the *opposite* of whatever he might be is what we're after. If he's a self-proclaimed nice guy, doing some guesswork that the girl must obviously like assholes isn't usually the correct answer. Almost always, there are other factors of why she didn't like you, and chose someone else. What I dislike the most is after a guy is rejected, he's got to be some social detective to come to terms that it *must* be the girl and not him. A few times in my life, a guy has actually said - without filter - that I "must not be in to sex", and I'm "obviously a lesbian". Wait, what? Really? All because I didn't want to go out with *you*? Come on. I've been sexually charged since I was a teen and it hasn't quit yet, and I've never had an sexual experience with women, nor do I care to. But hey, playing detective for a moment made the guy feel better. Whatever.

No consideration that maybe I might not have wanted to be approached by a guy who LOOKS LIKE MY BROTHER. Oh yesss, this did happen once. A "nice" guy was hitting on me who looked like my older brother and I just wanted to vomit. Even my friends told me how eerie it was that he resembled him so much. Of course the guy never knew that, and figured my rejecting him so quickly meant I didn't know a nice guy when I saw one. Oh trust me. I knew a nice guy when I saw one. I was related to him. LOL

Guys, there are so many reasons why you're not being picked over and really it's not you, it's the girl. We get swept off our feet by a FAร‡ADE when we meet a jerk. Do you think these guys advertise to us right away that they plan to cheat, use us, borrow money from our dads, smack up our cars, hit on our best friends, sit on our couches, eat our food, all to tell us we're too fat after five months? No. Usually this guy is as smooth as butter telling us EVERYthing we want to hear. On top of all that, we see that exterior so-called confidence of his loud, funny personality that we find thrilling. So like everyone who tries putting on this good impression when they meet people, whispering in our ears in a noisy nightclub, when he finishes being loud and funny with a friend, you can bet that he tells us, "I really think you're beautiful.." and we just melt. We want to believe that we found the whole package.

It's like going to buy a car off the lot and being lied to that the car comes with all the features...

• It's like you can clearly see the features on the dashboard but then when you pay the dealership and drive off the lot, not a single thing works. The windows can't power down, the AC is broken, the sound system has been de-wired. It looked good and had promise but we just didn't know we were getting a lemon.

By this time.. women being women, we fall in love anyway. We have it in our minds WHY we wanted to stay and that's because we justify that he seemed like a catch at the time, and his promises got to us. We started to forgive his ways just to see if that promise could still be there. Then we get in too deep, and THEN we get in to the argument of why women STAY with assholes. It's because we gave him time, we invested our own time, and we don't know if we should give up so soon because he keeps pleading that he'll become a better person. Yes, this jerk who snarled to his friends that he never needed a woman becomes a little boy to us behind a closed door. We fall for it. That's why.

• Sorry, I should have pointed out that when we reject:
      "Guys, there are so many reasons why you're not being picked over and really it's not you, it's the girl." What I mean is it's the girl in the regard that she has her reasons why. Not that she must be a lesbian or she must be stuck up. The reason it's the girl in this case is because she is bought in to what a jerk has told her would be good for her.

• I see your point but after guys get rejected over and over and over (from being too nice) again we start to see trends in women.

• I'm holding off dating and I have been through a lot and I'm in therapy yet I have heard from guys online rude comments judging me based on my relationship status. It's like there are some guys who take their anger out on women for bad experiences they have had with women. And when I'm actually taking a break and talking to a therapist because I have been through a lot in stress and life I get criticized by butt hurt men and accused of having high standards because I'm not dating right now

• This is actually pretty good.. Well done!

• My boyfriend is sweet and thats how I like it.
    I would never ever want an asshole

• Yes, my boyfriend is also very sweet :)

I didn't really date much in my early twenties because it seemed so pointless.

• This is a really good take!

• Its that whole appeal of a bad boy/player thing that makes some girls attracted or overlook a guy that isn't nice to them or is using them

• Good take.

• Thanks :)

• I dated an idiot for a year without realising he was an idiot. He treated me nicely sometimes and then horribly the rest of the time but I was too caught up to notice the bad, and that's my fault. I always try and see the good, and sometimes I think that's dangerous. That relationship endless horribly, but the good thing is, now I know what to avoid and red flags now appear. Sometimes it's just about experiencing it and learning.

• assholes spike a woman's sex drive a lot. by how they act and look. so it's had to care about anything else, except wanting to fuck them.

• And sometimes you fall for someone for their good qualities and you're naive enough to ignore the bad ones. The really really bad ones.

• This is Awesome! Where are all the opinions, hot topics like this usually have more activity?

Great Advice: Lessons to Learn GUYS who believe women actually LIKE assholes:
    Recognize that it's not the "being an asshole" part that women end up finding themselves attracted to.
    Recognize the positive traits that we are ACTUALLY after, and that these are the things we are seeing in the wrong guys.
    Work on building those traits for yourselves and on being a genuinely good person.

Accurate Comparisons:
    Arrogange = confidence;
    Rude = Self-assured;
    Impulsive = Fun;
    Inconsiderate = Oblivious;
    Loud/obnoxious = Funny.

I like your insight & what these so called "nice guys" always forget is most women know they maybe be dating an asshole, but the reason most of them stay with them is because the feel they can Change Them.

• Lol i knew that my boyfriend is an asshole from day one, but i'm even more of an asshole...
    his hottnes was on point, tho ๐Ÿ˜‚

• LOL! When I read your title I actually thought this would be a take for why women don't like assholes (like the actual body part)!!! I just don't know why :D So when I started reading the intro I got so confused :D OMG haha!

• Hahaha toss that on the backburner for another Take...