5 Topics to Talk about on the First Date.

1. Travel

Do you speak any other languages?

What countries have you traveled to?
What was your experience like of a different country?
Where in the world would you love to live most?
What’s the funniest thing that’s happened to you while traveling?

2. Hobbies

Do you play sports?

What type of things do you like to do in your free time?

What type of music do you listen to?

Do you like dancing, painting etc?

What can't you live without?

3. Food

What is your favorite type of food?

Have you been to any great restaurants lately?

Do you enjoy cooking?

What does your family cook?

Favorite type of pizza?

4. Future Plans

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Where do you want to travel to?

What are you doing for the holidays?

Any exciting plans this weekend?

What is your current biggest goal?

5. Past Experiences

Where did you grow up?

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Tell me about your family?

What were you like as a child?

Did you have any fun jobs, trips in the past?

811

Most Helpful Guy

• "Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?"

Baaad! This isn't a good idea!

But the rest is good :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I like #5. The rest is very typical first-date stuff and, thus, kind of boring. Like, aside from talking about traveling, I'd be bored to death on this date.

"Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?"--I get it, but this is not a job interview. I would be more like, "What are you looking for in a person?" or just finding a way to tailor the "5 years" question to relationships somehow, unless you're one of those people who cares about how much ambition someone has or how they're doing financially and such. But my "Future Plans" discussion would be more tailored towards trying to find out what that person is looking for and our compatibility in terms of what we're seeking in dating/relationships. The 2nd question in that category is about traveling. The other two are typical boring small talk. Biggest goal is another job interview type question, but it works for the people who are into only dating goal-oriented people.

"What do you like to do in your free time," i. e. "what do you do for fun"--I get this, too, but I hate this question. Most people like to do the same things. I would probably ask someone to tell me about some of their unique interests.

"What's the funniest thing that happened to you while traveling"--requires too much thinking, and really has nothing to do with learning about each other. It's a first date, people are nervous more than likely... give me easy stuff.

Regardless, it shouldn't be this planned-out... if you're interested in someone, there should be a natural flow of things you want to know about them, and most of the stuff listed here is not among any of that.

• you have to talk about your interests though and what you like to do for fun.. it all comes down to asking or wording the questions in a natural way.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

Rofl, this is a 100% job interview question ¬___¬. In fact i'd say for a first date, avoid future and past talk altogether. First three topics are good suggestions though.

• 1. Travel
    Do you speak any other languages? No

What countries have you traveled to? The states

What was your experience like of a different country? Meh

Where in the world would you love to live most? In a house

What’s the funniest thing that’s happened to you while traveling? I almost got killed by a swinging gate arm

2. Hobbies
    Do you play sports? No

What type of things do you like to do in your free time? Relax

What type of music do you listen to? Good music

Do you like dancing, painting etc? No

What can't you live without? Oxygen

3. Food
    What is your favorite type of food? Tasty food

Have you been to any great restaurants lately? No

Do you enjoy cooking? No

What does your family cook? Food

Favorite type of pizza? Pepperoni

4. Future Plans
    Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? Hopefully in your pants

Where do you want to travel to? The future

What are you doing for the holidays? As little as possible

Any exciting plans this weekend? Nope

What is your current biggest goal? To make it out of this pressure cooker of a date alive

5. Past Experiences
    Where did you grow up? In a city

What is your favorite childhood memory? Don't have one

Tell me about your family? I'd rather not

What were you like as a child? Childish

Did you have any fun jobs, trips in the past? Sure didn't

Did I pass the test, op?

• Great take. I think we should also have a take including 5 things NOT to talk about as well haha.

I've just had some awkward first dates where the girl shared too much info like sexual past, abortions, and other personal things and it should have been kept to themselves, at least on the first date lol.

• Before I waste any time or money on a chic, here are the top 5 questions I ask on a first date:

1) Do you work for ISIS, CIA, FBI, NSA or DHS?
    2) Do you have any psycho ex BF's?
    3) Do you have psycho parents?
    4) Do you consider yourself "a princess"?
    5) If she answers yes to any or all of these, then I ask... Do you have your wallet and cell phone with you? Because I'm outta here!

• Predefined questions can lead to the date feeling like an interview. If you memorise this list, you might end up firing off these questions whenever there's a silence. It's probably better to take only a couple of topics, and reflect on ways you might be able to build a conversation out of them.

• Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

I am sorry am I interviewing to be your boyfriend?

Good questions overall.

• lmao >.<

• It's a good question if the person is looking for a potential partner to settle down. It's not about getting this job, earning this much money etc. It's more like what you wanna do with your life.

Someone asked me, and I said I plan to work for three or four more years, and purchase a land on a mountain but near the city XXX as I am a big city person for the activities etc. but like the nature and quietness, so i said I would like to have a self-sufficient house and garden etc.

It turned out that he wanted the similar things, and we were both into gardening, renewable energy, real estate, house design etc. So it was a great 4-5 months date. But unfortunately it ended up for some stupid reasons.

• @lyannamormont True.

but when I'm on a date with a girl I want to be on a date not act and be like I'm in a job interview or business transaction.

Asking questions is fine it's part of getting to know each other, but questions worded like that just take the fun out of a date to me.

and if they want to as that question then ask it like, so what are your thoughts on the future? Where do you want to be years from now? or you know something more causal.

• Good collection. Thanks :)

• All pretty seem like normal smalltalk to me.

• This was informative for me.

• As a guy, you basically ask her all the questions. That's the secret to dating

What Girls Said 7

• To be honest what's important to talk about is what they see for the future and expect from a relationship. Why they chose you or you chose them. The rest comes after important topics such as job prospects, religion, belief's about sex etc. This is a good overall list. But these are topics to discuss within 2-5 dates depending on how serious it gets between the perspective dating couple. Great list once again.

• Pretty good questions. But like someone else said, it's not supposed to feel like an interview. It's good to know how to take someone's answer and the turn it into a more fleshed out conversation, instead of moving on to the next random question after getting an answer. But yeah, a lot of these are good questions that can lead to some pretty interesting conversations, if you know how to take the smalltalk one step further.

• Great stuff as long as no 5 doesn't include taking about ex's.

• For a scary moment, I thought one of the topics will be
    6. Dick

• nice

• Very helpful for me, thanks a lot!

• good ideas