Why Dating a Girl Who Reads is a Beautiful Experience

There are hobbies. And there's reading. NO!

Reading is just not yet-another-hobby. Books let its reader the life they have unlived, the dreams they never dreamt and the cries they never cried. I've always read that "Don't date a girl who reads because she'll have unrealistic expectations." But I'd say, as a girl, and a reader, why you'll be in advantage.

Why dating a girl who reads is a beautiful experience.

1. She'll be more understanding. While I'm not saying girls who don't read are any bad, but this quality develops unknowingly in readers. They go through life dilemmas of various characters, and that makes them more understanding about your problems.

2. You'll be constantly entertained. Sometimes she'd randomly throw a reference. Or speak a dialogue. Or anything. She'll never bore you, because she herself will be searching for interesting things.

3. She'll give you proper space. (Again, I'm not saying that non-readers are clingy.) She'll value the 'me-time'. Even if you spend your time hanging out with friends, she'll support it because she'll also be so dwelled in her books that she forgets the world.

4. She'll open up your persepectives. Readers can change your paradigm of life. Their perspectives are naturally more different than others. They'll tell you life ways you've never heard of.

5. And lastly, she'll be wild.

Because she has unrealistic expectations. Because she dreams of a perfect soulmate. Because she'll crave for a deep conversation.

2035

Most Helpful Guy

• Look, I love to read too and so does my girlfriend, so I'm not saying this out of jealousy or insecurity or anything: the notion that reading somehow makes people more whimsical or more special strikes me as kind of childish.

Why put reading on some sort of pedestal, like it's still the middle ages where only the wealthy can afford an education? I'm sorry to inform you that, yes, reading is pretty much just a hobby. It doesn't make you special, it doesn't make you better than everyone else, it doesn't mean that you're more imaginative, it doesn't make you more entertaining and it definitely, does not, make you a more open-minded person. I know plenty of avid readers who are little more than brainwashed parrots.

Are people who have the qualities that you mentioned more likely to enjoy reading? Probably. But correlation doesn't equal causation.

• Damn, bruh. I guess this it what it looks like when dudes keep things too real 😂😂😂

• @Coolart123 No, you just keep ignoring the fact that I never said that reading can't open people's minds. And out of everyone that commented, the seventeen people that liked my opinion and even the OP, who gave me MHO, you're literally the only person that doesn't get it.

• @Coolart123 You still don't understand what we are saying, and I get the feeling you are just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point so I'm done here

Most Helpful Girl

• My girlfriend is a big reader. I agree with all the points, apart from the the 'unrealistic expectations.' I mean, she really doesn't like romance novels. She seems to like science fiction type books. She's reading a book called 'Worldshaker' right now.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 34

• Those are some interesting points. I think the topics she reads about are what make the difference; not just the reading part itself. And that especially applies to the "Unrealistic Expectations" part. Her personality makes a big difference in how seriously she will take the material she reads about. It could make her wild and entertaining in a good way, but it could also be the complete opposite. Books will not define or easily change her personality. Still good thinking in this myTake though.

• You are preaching to the choir. I married a prolific reader. She is a fan of fiction. Everything from Charles Dickens to Stephen King. I'm addicted to biographies of interesting people. Every night we read out loud together. On genre is crime dramas. My favorite Saturday afternoons involve her and I sitting on the couch on opposite sides with both feet touching. Each reading our respective books.

• I'm a big reader myself (3-4 books a week level), so a girl who reads would be ideal. To introverts and book-worms like myself, that's a major bonus. But you wouldn't be making this myTake if we were the kind of guys whose attention you were trying to draw.

That said, most well-read, bookish women I know date "that guy": drunk, party boy with all the emotional depth of a sea urchin. In fact, most of the time, I would say that being a woman who reads is irrelevant to the men they actually choose to date. But that's why you made this status right. To get "that type"'s attention. They don't care that you utilize your literacy, they never will, you'll have to find another way to attract them.

• No sir. You've totally misunderstood this.

• Or perhaps gay women who don't read. But same thing

• I agree with this. People tend to be more sexually and physically attracted to people who are opposite to them, but stating that "those types" of guys are simply not interested or don't care is incorrect. Perhaps they don't show interests in books or reading, but they definitely show interest in the girl. For example, I hate football with a passion. I did cheer in high school and was very obvious with this, nearly gagging myself every time we had to go to a game. "What cheerleader doesn't like football games?" In any case, the football players are massively entitled retards who think if they throw a ball around a bit they somehow deserve a "hot" girl.

I ended up with one of these despicable jocks and he never, not once, forced me to watch football or like it or be with his friends. But I was so into him because of his passion for something I had absolute no interest in, and the same went for him.

• THIS APPLIES TO GUYS THAT READ AS WELL! I read frequently, and I can attest to those qualities more or less applying to me. I'd LOVE to date fellow bibliophile.

• Haha same <3 so obsessed with reading my parents banned from it. I'm gettin' withdrawal symptoms >.<

• @Solanaceae I can tear through anything with good recall afterwards, but what I usually read are scifi, fantasy, Terry Pratchett (he defies genres), and philosophy.

• Love girls that read. There is something quite relaxing and calming to sit beside her while she reads

Also quite fun to bug her too when she reads lol

• Wow sounds agreeable and sensible. I love to read as well. But my f*****g ADHD gets in the way at times of my enjoyment. I need a girl like that to emotionally connect with.

• Coz she lives in a Fantastic fantasy world, she's got unique and intriguing ideas, she's good in discussions, she's poetic and very artistic. <3

• My gal is a big reader, and a lot of this rings true.

• Good take. My wife is an avid reader. Most of what you wrote is correct.

• As long as she's hot she can be illiterate and I wouldn't care as long as she at least had the Kama Sutra read to her and treated it like it was her bible.

• Fils who read are cool, but I'd like her to have a hobby where she is creative. I hink it's more fulfilling

• Doesn't have any bearing. I mean if she's into reading and she's educated then it's cool, but it's not mandatory.

• I don't think its a beautiful experience.. It can be boring too

• literally dont care if she reads or not that's not even on the list

• Lol what has a woman having the ability to read have anything to do with anything.

• Great read

• Great myTake. I value girls who love to read.

• Too bad they're rare as hen's teeth.

• I love people who read😊

• I like girls that read books.

• you forgot number 6. she actually shuts up

• I love reading

• i agree with this.

• Nice MyTake

• I'd rather have a dumb girlfriend.

• Interesting

• Nice take

• nice

• Nice take

• Thank you

• Show more from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 19

• Same could be said for me, as a TV-show binge watcher. But I think I agree with the one saying, it doesn't really make anyone special if they read or not. I find reading mostly just boring. But I would say I'm a very understanding person, and I always have something to talk about if it isn't boring small talk. I'll give him lots of space, as an introvert alone times is something I appreciate.

• I'm a massive reader and I have over 200 books in my room. But reading is just something I love. I don't throw random references at people because if that person hasn't read them than they won't get them? I'm not more understanding than someone else. And I'm not wild. Reading doesn't make a person special.

• People who read books are usually much more intelligent than those who don't, which is a nice advantage :)

• Guy: "hey baby can we have some sex?"
    Girl: *hits with book* "go away! I'm reading"

• Reading cultivates people. It makes you more human. A girl that doesn't read is such a bore to be around. As a man that doesn't read is... .

• Ahahaha, this is so funny. 😀 How old are you? Joke aside: I've never met a girl who doesn't read, by the way.

• Im not a total reader, but i do read ebooks,

To add up, not all readers do want to read romance or unrealistic stories

Reading books depends on the personality of a person

Like mine i do want to read life build up which could help me regain new knowledge

Traditional readers of books are aspiring to know that they can finish more of 500pages seeing a book physically with many pages makes me challenge and bored to read it

So i prefer ebooks so i won't care to look how many pages it have

• As a huge book reader myself, I can only tell you this: I noticed that in relationships, only a book reader can understand another book reader better and for me if a guy doesn't READ, no matter how hot or nice, u don't care. I rejected a hot guy for this reason once. I really feel like we won't click together.

But I did end up getting in a toxic relationship with a guy who not only conpared me with other girls but also told me about several female characters he read about in books (I read those books too), and he would be like, sigh I wish my lover was rather like her, indirectly telling me that I'm not good enough for him. -.-

But we did click in the first place. I don't need my guy to be a bookish nerd, but at least read some books!

• Glad someone appreciates it! Most guys call me boring

• I personally love to read and I love people that also read.

• I've never heard that reading books can be a dealbreaker to someone. Wow!

• Of course It's a beautiful experience!

• YAY! Bookworm for life here lol ❤️

• Books are the best!

• Nice Take, interesting points :)

• I love to read :)

• I do A LOT of reading. Its a great hobby,

• Does this count for comics reader too? XD

• I love reading but this sounds like bullshit.
    You aren't special because you're an avid reader. Believe it or not you really ARE like other girls.