WHAT IS THE MEANING OF DATING?
- Dating is a stage of romantic relationship in human beings whereby two people meet socially with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a prospective partner in an intimate relationship or marriage.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF DATING?
- People have different reasons for dating. Some do it for fun, others want to interact and meet new people, and others do it with the intention of finding a lifelong partnership.
MEANING OF DATING WITH PURPOSE
- Dating without a purpose is like driving a car randomly, hoping to get somewhere that makes you happy. Chances are, you will possibly get lost, upset, or go in circles.
- If you do not have a target or destination in mind when dating, then you will never get there. If you want to find someone to create and sustain a healthy relationship, you will have to date with a purpose. It is just the same as interviewing someone; you have to prepare, plan, and decide what you want.
HOW TO DATE WITH PURPOSE
- Honesty That Creates Trust
Trust is the basis for relationships. It would be best if you start by trusting yourself. If you have unsettled trauma due to destabilizing relationships in the past, you will not trust yourself and your choices, and you could end up with a broken picker! When looking for a partner, you want to know how to best understand if they are trustworthy too. Transparency takes time, and building trust takes time.
- Ready To Be In A Relationship (Both Partners)
Both of you must be ready to enter into a relationship; this means healing from past trauma, relationship, or childhood issues. If not, you may find that childhood wounds will be triggered, leading to negative emotions and unproductive behaviors.
- The Willingness to Negotiate or Compromise
For the relationship to be balanced, both of you must be willing to negotiate or compromise. This does not mean that you will need to give up what is important to you. Instead, it would be best if you were prepared to understand each other and be willing to co-create solutions for challenges as they arise together.
When you are looking for a life-long partner, one key area to focus on is self-esteem. You must ensure their self-esteem is healthy, and yours also should be healthy. Otherwise, if you look for a relationship to be what makes you feel good about yourself, then you may attract the wrong type of person. Self-esteem means both partners are feeling "good" about who they are.
- Sexual Compatibility
This is about having similar sexual values, inclinations, and preferences. You want to have physical compatibility to ensure that you are both satisfied in the relationship and that neither of you feels rejected.
- Patience and Tolerance
Patience and tolerance is the key to a healthy relationship. Patience might not be consistent; it might come and go. But before you commit to a relationship, it is worthwhile to practice patience.
- Respect and Admiration
It is the wish of everyone to have a relationship with someone they admire and respect. Having respect and admiration for each other is important.
Admiration is more than just skin deep. Of course, there will be times your partner will not always look good to you. However, admiration is about accepting and loving the whole person.
DATING AND HANGING OUT
- Nowadays, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a date and hanging out because of the evolving nature of dating and relationships! Hanging out is a nebulous term covering a causal relationship that has recently risen to popularity and is often used as a catch-all tag phrase. While dating involves a deeper level of commitment by both parties, the implication that the goal is actually a relationship.
SIGNS THAT SHOW YOU ARE ON A ROMANTIC DATE
- It's just the two of you
One of the signs that show it is a date is that it is only the two of you. If it is a group of people, chances are you might be in friends zone. But if the occasion involves only you and your crush – date away, the game is likely on!
- Plans are in place
If everything is organized in advance, this shows thought has gone into it. Have you been asked by your date the things you like doing, what is your favorite type of food or other personal details that could influence the location/activity? If so, bonus points – they plan to impress and aren't only going after casual dating convenience.
- You feel the butterflies
Often, your gut instinct can provide the best guidance. Consider what is a date to you? Does it meet your expectations for date criteria? Secondly, how does it make you feel? Are there those revealing butterflies, or do you feel completely calm and relaxed? It isn't good to be highly anxious about the date! A suitable mix of excitement and intrigue should accompany a date – so check in with your natural intuition!
- Effort for outcome
How much consideration and energy has been put into the meet up? Yes, there are different types of dating and different stages, but at the baseline, a certain level of effort should be involved in organizing a pleasant dalliance. This could be as simple as making a reservation, arriving on time, or putting in the effort to present yourself well. Signs of trying to create a good impression is a good gauge for the intention.
One way to navigate the dating world and make it work for you is to start dating with a purpose. Be aware of your reasons for dating, and don't compromise on what's important to you. You can create a dating plan to see what difference it makes in building a fulfilling relationship. Creating a dating plan might not be easy. It takes effort, patience, self-discipline, and wisdom. But the good news is that it is worth the effort.