Single for a year challenge - Think it'll work?

So I've not had the best luck in the dating scene this last year. Lots of no good situations. It's been bumming me out, and I know I'm meant for better things. I'm a confident gal, and know I need a break from guys.

So this New Years, I've decided to start a 1 year single challenge. No boyfriends or dates for 365 days. The occasional one night stand is allowed... for sanity purposes lol. I've never done this before, but I'm pretty excited to just focus on me, no dating drama.

But one of my friends is convinced that it won't work. She says that as soon as you "turn yourself off" from dating, that's when guys come out of the woodwork wanting your attention and that it will make it tough for me to stay on track.

So opinions! Think it can be done? Or do you think it's a pipe dream?

Most Helpful Guy

• As someone who started this 2 years ago it will work. Maybe I'm reaching here but since you started dating or turned 18 you probably haven't been single longer than 6 months? The fact is most people in their 20s and 30s bounce from partner to partner as quickly as they can. Its called settling for the first decent acceptable thing. The way your doing things now isn't working you wouldn't be doing this if it were and your smart enough to get that. The first 6 months or so are tough but after that you will love it. You will not get "turned off dating" but you will find an independence that you never knew you had. You will truly understand what I mean when I say that most people are settling for what ever. I still want to date and I do go out on the occasional rare date or talk to women. So its not that I'm turned off dating, but I do know the difference now between just wanting someone so I have someone and wanting someone because I think they are right. Go for it!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• It all depends on how much you are really dedicated to do this.
    Let's say during this CHALLENGE the man of your dreams will fall on your lap, BANG !! Just like that? Would you honestly not give it a chance because you have the challenge going on?

I would honestly just take a break, and focus on priorities, try to not predict the future, and expect the unexpectable.
    Just enjoy life, don't plan things that are unpredictable, just plan things that make you HAPPY and know that there will be a good outcome.

Good luck sweety <3

What Guys Said 20

• It can be done but the whole "one night stands occasionally" thing will make it near impossible.

• The ONS thing is so I don't get to "pent up" (lol) and start fantasizing about relationships. It's a way to blow off steam so I can keep up with the challenge. It won't be more than a couple times through the whole year but I think it's necessary.

• I've done them before and have never felt a need to continue dating them lol so I think I'll be okay if I'm in the right mind set.

• Well, you do you my friend

• I did something similar. After a break up I wanted to be alone so I did 6 months challenge. It turned to 1 year challenge and then 1 year and 6 months challenge lol now I enjoy being single so much that I am afraid I'll die alone

cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder749/68197749.jpg

• You can do anything if you put your mind to it. It also depends on how picky you are when it comes to dating?

• Your friends are right. A single girl who doesn't date will be a mystery and a challenge, and any guy who notices you will be trying to find out what's going on.

So it WILL be quite a challenge, more than you might have foreseen!

• It will definitely be hard as yes. Once this gets known, guys will be swarming around you like flies on shit for an opportunity of "just sex". Plus i dont like the idea of time pressuring yourself with fuxed time limit, especially regarding such a serious matter. You re young, just take a break and once you feel rdy start dating. No time limits.

• I think it is completely nonsensical. The only stopping you from focusing on you and still dating at the same time is YOU.

• It's not the focussing on myself part I am really having an issue with. The fact is, these last few months have dealt me a ton of bad dating situations. I'm a smart girl and got out of them, but they all left me feeling very emotionally exhausted. It made me realize I hadn't been single in awhile and figured a "relationship cleanse" might do me some good. Give me the break I need. That's mostly what it's about.

• My advice would be to not close yourself off to potential romantic entanglements. You don't want to meet and then miss out on the right guy because you're halfway through this self-imposed date free year.

Stay receptive just in case.

• 😂😂😂😂stop or I will end up peeing..
    He hehe... Look such challenges!. Let's compete!.. I kind of cursed with eternity of being single!.. No date hardly ever a conversation!.. Not kisses or hugs!..

• It can be done if that's what you think will be best for you

• can't say anything for sure, it all depends on you, that how much of a strong promise you made to yourself

• I have done this for since I was 15 😁 occasional nights with someone you meet hiking or beach then friends with benefits. What more do you need? You won't want a relationship till your 30 🤣

• Lol well that's a little far, I like relationships. I'll wait a year but definitely not 30 I'm afraid lol

• I mean 30 is obviously a joke I would settle for someone if it felt different 😁

• just never meet anyone interesting to actually wake up with

• I've been single and without sex for 27 years so yes it can be done. But then again it hasn't been a conscious choice for me

• Sure, go for it. Makes life simpler.

• I'll not let that thing happened to you

• Not gonna lie, if a girl said this to me I'd wanna make her mine. I'm getting turned on just thinking of the challenge.

• I m still single. But I need a loyal wife not a temporary girlfriend.

• How many one night stands are you green lighting?

• Just a few times during the whole 365 days. Like 1-3. When I feel a strong need for some no strings attached physical contact lol

• Okay I get you. Isn't 1-3 a little low then?

• Hah well it's mostly a guideline! Could be more or less depending on how I feel haha

• Hi how are you

• I think it won't help you establishing and maintaining boundaries in a relationship and learning to walk away when your needs aren't being met.

Which means you will be in exactly the same place a year from now.

Keep learning and growing.

• I don't think that's such a good idea. What if the right guy for you happens to come across you during this year? The chance will be lost forever. Just don't focus on finding a boyfriend but if a really great guy comes along give it a shot. You don't have to go to extremes.

• Wanna go out on a date with me? :P

What Girls Said 7

• I did this! But I actually didn't do any one night stands. I took a full year off from men, flirting, dating, sex, all of it. It was one of the BEST things I've ever done for myself!! It was so empowering and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it might be. I learned so much from this experience and it permanently changed the way I approach men and dating, for the better.

Trust your gut instinct! Deep down inside you know it'll be good for you, that's why you had the idea and decided to do it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it or be negative about it. Trust your gut and do what you know is best for you! My advice would be to actually cut out one night stands as well and give yourself a complete break from men. It worked so well for me. But only you will know what you need. Good luck with it, and good for you for being the kind of intelligent, strong person who doesn't need to rely on the opposite sex to have an interesting, happy, fulfilling life!

• Lmao I mean I could do it since I have gone 22 years of not dating.

• I'm pretty sure it can be possible as you long as you don't bring yourself up to the temptation or getting along with flirtation from other people or getting tempted to flirt yourself. Another answer is that it is possible because based on my experience. I never had my first boyfriend until I turned 18 years old (last year) well it ended after like 2 months cuz I knew it wasn't the right time since I still have to start college soon. But it's really up to you if you know how to resist entering a relationship.

• I don't think dates ever work... its too tense and formal.

When time is right someone will bump into you or you into them.

• You'll either start wanting a boyfriend/relationship or meet someone you like when you least expect it

• Nah. I've turned myself off dating for over a year and I have had zero male attention as a result. So it won't be that tough. Trust me.

• yup it can be done but it's not gonna be easy