My boyfriend never gets me gifts. Is it normal if I get upset?

My boyfriend is very wealthy. We have been together for almost 2 years. But he never surprises me with any gifts. It’s only on first dates, he looked like he’s a romantic guy and bought me a ring just to tell the others that I’m already in a relationship. First year I celebrated my birthday, he asked me to go for a dinner, I appreciated it. But he never gave me flowers or got me any gifts.

On Valentine’s day still nothing to receive. I always got him gifts on special occasions and on the days I look something that reminds me of him, I bought it, I did a very good gift packaging, designed my own card for him and his reaction was like, “are you not doing anything at work?”. Everytime we passed by Florist, I always asked him why I never got one. Silence and he suddenly talked about other topic.

When it came to even his uncle’s/ aunt’s birthday, we could go to Louis Vuitton to find jackets/ shirts/ bags. But he never bought me anything. I don’t ask him to buy me luxury presents (as I believe he could afford so much luxury presents). It’s just the little things he missed for some occasions I thought were special.

2nd birthday I’m with him, he even forgot to wish me happy birthday until I asked him. That’s what made me think he didn't get anything for me, again. And thats right. He barely says I’m beautiful, never “wants” to kiss me. But he makes me think that he loves me. Maybe I’m just blind? Is it normal if I think too much about this?

I am very happy finding perfect gifts for him (I’ve been saving money so that I can buy him good gifts). He even knew that the gifts I bought for him could cost as much as my monthly income per gift. But it would cost a litttttle for him to get me a bucket of flower, right? He owns his company so I think time isn’t the matter. I’m so confused.

187

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm broke as a joke. due to shit jobs, high rent, and child support. yet I still try to get something for the woman I love. especially if she doesn't expect anything. but that's just me. it a way of saying "even tho I am scraping by, you are important enough to me to make sacrifices to show that I care." buuuut, gifts aren't the greatest way to show you care.

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's the thing.. you're the kind of person our parents tell us about like literally my husband has always worked for what he wants and was a great student and when we started dating my dad said "People like that only want one thing" and I was all like "You mean sex? Because (my ex) wanted that too" and he said "Money, they see you as a meal ticket and sure they won't ask for stuff but they will feel entitled to it" it was more than that but it gets really dickish anyway obviously he was wrong about him because even now that we are married he likes to spend his own money on everything but you are mad because he gets his family things and not you? Does he spend time with you? Do you go out on dates? That's spending and maybe he's just not a romantic like if you're at work yeah you shouldn't be making cards

What Guys Said 6

• Is this why you dated the wealthy guy for. Gifts? Not receiving ''gifts'' isn't grounds to get angry.

Date him because of a romantic interest and since there's mutual connection, not for ''gifts''. It isn't his job to buy you anything.

• I don't think she's just after gifts. I think she really just wants an indication that she's important to him. I mean, who forgets their girlfriend's birthday?

• Then she should ask him if she's important to him, gifts don't indicate how important you are to someone. & As for the birthday, who cares? Sometimes I even forget my siblings birthdays it happens.

• Materialism is disgusting. It's not your fault your shallow, it's capitalism.

• Sounds like you need to date a Male who would gives you gifts.

• I think you might be a "mistress" but I don't know either that or he's just a shallow asshole.

• Normally, I wouldn't expect a female to think much of it. Mainly because the many guys are like that. But also many guys are not like that. However, someone just wealthy, i'd expect the female to expect more, since he can afford to do so. Why, because normally many guys normally don't have careers or the ones that have a career but have too much monthly expenses, but in either scenario, both are on a budget. This kind of thing just happens too much. But with a wealthy, there's really no excuse.

• Maybe he thinks you are a gold digger :)

What Girls Said 17

• It's obviously not his love language. Look them up. There are 5 main ones. And gifts is one of them but it's apparently not his.

• You can't expect guys to get you gifts. It doesn't matter if they're affordable and he's rich and whatnot. It is HIS money and he should be able to spend it how he wants. If you're upset because you feel like you put in too much effort, put in less effort. You don't have to buy him gifts if he isn't doing the same for you.
    Besides the gift part, the fact that he doesn't seem like he wants to kiss you and the fact that he doesn't wish you a happy birthday is messed up and I completely understand why that would bother you.
    These are things you need to address with him and if he's not going to change and it bothers you too much, you should call off the relationship

• Sounds like he has some issues that he's not opening up to you with you. And regardless how much you try, if he won't open up what is the point? You are dating an image he portrays. You aren't a business client or an employee. You are supposed to be his other half.

It sounds like he treats you more like a secretary

• I was going to call you a golddigger, which you still may be, but the fact that he doesn't wanna kiss you, doesn't wish you happy birthday. It sounds like he's not that interested in you.

I'm not basing this on gifts at all, just mannerisms. He's either incredibly distant and oblivious or nonchalant, or he just doesn't care about you.

• This has nothing to do with money but the thought and it sounds like he isn't at all thoughtful! Is he caring and attentive otherwise?

• It's normal to be upset if your boyfriend isn't showing love and affection towards you. To expect it in a gift form I suppose may be normal. Is it right? I think no.

• I think you just feel like you're not getting the same effort you put in and you're frustrated. Talk to him.

• Its a little odd that he doesn't make any effort.

• He sounds like a prick.

• Ask yourself one question: Do you see yourself being with him forever?

• Do you ever get him anything?

• well maybe because that's not the way he expresses his love.

• He doesn't sound like fun guy at all

• not all like gift giving

• I'm not sure if he is just an asshole or if you have brought gifts up sooo much, he tries to avoid it/feels pressured/doesn't want to give in and do it. My only advice, if he's an asshole all around, might just want to leave him.

• I was about to call you a gold digger but the fact that he can't remember your birthday, hardly ever compliments you, or even wants to kiss you? I hate to break it to you but it sounds like he doesn't love you anymore. If he really loved you he'd be putting more effort into the relationship.

• You only care about money?