Would you date someone who didn't go to college?

My answer is no. Higher education is important to me and my family. I want whoever I'm dating to be my equal in that sense. Even if I were ok with it, my family would not be. Also when I have kids, I want them to go to college as well. If they choose not to, I don't want my husband to be the reason.

• Yes
  • No

2337

Most Helpful Guy

• Going to college and having a degree doesn't always mean you are smart. Look at people like Bill Gates, Zuckerburg etc.

Also college is a waste of time, you spend your time, money and effort to get a degree then when you finish college you end up working a minimum wage job spending the rest of your life paying off college debt.

If for example you have a phd it does not mean you are guaranteed to get a job in that field once you graduate.

• It's not about being smart. That's a whole nother topic. I've met so many idiots with degrees from Ivy Leagues, it's ridiculous. I just want him to have gone go college. If he dropped out and became super successful, that's fine but I've never met a guy like that so I don't even consider it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. It isn't a big deal to me. Having a degree doesn't make you any better of a lover than the next. Hell some of the highest paid, married men I know either didn't go to college at all, dropped out or only have diplomas. Ironically. Not that you should date because of someone's funds but many people value it.

For me it's the person that matters. Obviously I want them to want things out of life and have ambitions, but not everyone's ambitions are the same.

• Just reading that made me feel better. I have no degree and am doing well for myself considering

What Guys Said 36

• Definitely. Nothing special about college in my opinion. There are some top professions that traditionally haven't required college. There are also many degrees that are a complete joke. I judge someone based on their passion, their intelligence etc etc. Not because they studied cake decorating in college.

• Going to college isn't the only thing I'd expect from someone I date. It's just the one I chose to ask about. I agree that there are things a person can major in that are completely useless/won't give you a job. I'd want someone who can take care of himself and has ambition as well. Going to college is just one of my... requirements I guess.

• I want a girl to be mature and responsible - I don't really care whether or not she has an associate's on her record. Besides, I'd be quite content becoming the sole provider if that's what we decided, at which point it wouldn't matter in the long run. Getting a degree shows responsibility and tenacity, sure, but there are other ways to see those character traits in someone. Some people start their own businesses with only a high school diploma and I would be remiss to ever speak ill-will of someone who managed that.

• I hear you. here are a couple of thoughts. A recent study showed that right now getting a college degree does NOT guarantee you a job. But it does guarantee you some debt. Young people need to really look at what education will give them what they want from life. If it is a job or career maybe technical training is a better idea. The next part of that is automation is going to eliminate a lot of the "jobs" in the future. Choose your profession wisely.
    The other thing is my Dad told me many years ago, that when I wanted to find a mate, to marry a waitress. She would appreciate what you can offer her. Does that mean I would be marrying below me? Not at all. But it does mean I can bring a higher level of income to her.

• I'd rather they just be smart than educated. I met all the most unintelligent people I've ever known in college lol

• College is simply a stepping stone to particular career paths, not a barometer of overall intelligence.

So yes is date a gal who didn't go to college.

• Not all "smart" people go to college, if you think a higher education means you're a better person, you need a little more life experience

• If I like the person, their education is irrelevant.

• I see absolutely no value in education, it was a waste of my time.
    I care about intelligence and her being able to hold a meaningful conversation or at least be compatible with my level of intelligence.
    School is mainly how well you can sum up facts others thought you to say, where intelligent people can figure things out for themselves without education.

• I couldn't care less. I care about the girl, not her credentials.

• Yes of course I would. Higher education is a joke these days. I don't have a college education, nor did I want one and I make great money will retire early. I wouldn't force my kids to go to college either. You're a very closed minded and not very tolerant individual.

• Date someone that has a job and doesn't have a ton of student loan debt for a degree they may never get to use? Sure, of course.
    Having a degree doesn't mean they are intelligent and doesn't guarantee success in the work force either.

• I have a high school diploma and yet I make well over $125,000 a year. I have more common sense and career experience. A degree had nothing to do with they type of person you are

• that makes sense... except for the fact that college doesn't actually make people smarter and earn more money.
    Usually when you take 2yrs of college the gov't wastes your education with random learning crap you won't need.

• Education is not going to some fucked up college. That has nothing to do with person's level of awareness, knowledge and intelligence.

• Women care about that more than men do.
    I would because higher education don't mean shit in the real world.

• Lol, of course. Just because they decided to pay a shit ton of money to go to college doesn't mean they're smarter than someone who never attended.

• Your family wouldn't be ok with it? You need to be the one who decides what's ok for you, only you!

• I am deciding. I just happen to agree with my family on this matter.

• What if it was someone lile John D. Rockefeller or Henry Ford? They didn't even finish high school.

• If I were to find a guy like that whom I was interested in, then yeah, I'd go for it. But the chances of finding a guy like that today are very slim. Wanting a guy who's smart with a college degree is much more likely.

• Yup. Some people aren't ment to sit and be in class

• You don't even need college to be a decent person... in fact it inflated all my friends egos. And it doesn't even guarantee you a job in that field you just spent 4+ years studying in, on top of that gender studies is offered as a major. What?

• Some girls give me the creeps

• I don't really think college dictates knowledge. I'm a highly valued systems engineer and I dropped out of college years ago. Still going strong.

• Thats so stupid. There are people who never went to college and and make way more money then you and your family. College isn't for everyone. Youe probably all n debt too

• Today higher education only means higher indoctrination towards being lesbian and hateing men and God alike. Equality is the bait that robs the cradle. Money and education have nothing to do with each other. Its an idea that creates the money , not the money that creates the idea.

• I'd be fine dating a girl without higher education. In saying that, I am a sapiosexual. If I can't have intelligent conversations with them, the relationship wouldn't last long. But they don't have to have gone to university to be intelligent. They may have equally ambitious goals outside of higher education.

• Without a degree, yes. Stupid, no. After all, Bill Gates dropped out.

• Yes i would date a girl/ woman whose never went to college.

• Who cares about that. If she's smart anyway. That's good.

• We all have our choices and if their's was they didn't want to college, I'd respect that.

• I don't care as long as they aren't stupid

• I think its not important most girls I know are smarter then me and dont care so why should I care if she never went

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 22

• Well, I hate to burst yours and your family's bubble, but higher education doesn't mean they're educated on how to raise a family, manage career and relationships at the same time, maintaining and keeping a marriage, let alone stay married. The most educated are in my opinion, like the rich, are equally depressed and miserable as they have a very hard time connecting to people. It's understandable that you want somebody to relate to equally, but a person who doesn't have a college degree doesn't mean anything. You want somebody who is ambitious and understands the importance of an education. That sounds far more logical than how you're saying it and what your family is putting it. So what, with your family on that aspect. They lived their lives, you have to start living yours. As long as you're not involved with the wrong kind of person, doing all of the wrong things, you're ok. I wouldn't want to get involved with a person who doesn't have one either or seeks to go to college like myself. But one thing I cannot stand is a person who lacks ambition for the right reasons. If he doesn't have that or dreams, it's goodbye.

• Half the people in my college classes are idiots. They haven't left high school. They don't even show up for the classes, only the exams as if they're going to pass and if they show up to class they're either sleeping, playing video games, watching movies or laughing their asses off with their buddies.

• College isn't for everyone. It wouldn't really be a factor for me.

• As long as they're intelligent, and have a descent job that's stable. No need for a degree in every circumstance

• I have to agree with most other people here. I'm at university and academia is extremely important to me but not even all of the people who are degree educated are intelligent, decent nor good people. So I can't judge non-graduates that way either.

If I dated a non-graduate who was still ambitious, successful and intelligent then I wouldn't judge them for not going. Some jobs don't require university so it's just not that important.

The fact that it is so important to you is bizarre since you acknowledge it doesn't make you smart nor decent - so why use it as a barometer of a good partner?

• Yeah. I still would. I'm also educated and so is my boyfriend.

• Sure, I'd be fine with that

• Hell ya! I prefer a man who had to actually worked and had to be smart to become successful. Rather then a college kid who got a liberal degree and is now working as a server. Who the better man? The one who did it on his own too feet.

• Going to college isn't for everyone. Earning a college degree doesn't guarantee a higher paying job. Are you going to select your husband based on his GPA also?

• There aren't many good jobs you can get without a degree. There are some, yes but the likelihood of having a good stable job is higher is you go to college (and study something that will actually get you a job). Going to college doesn't mean you'll be smart though which is also an important factor. So to answer you question no lol but he still needs to be smart.

• My husband doesn't have a degree, makes good money and climbing up the cyber career ladder. He just has a lot of certs and 8 years of experience in computers.

• Education has nothing to do with dating someone... Going to college is not that important because it is expensive it is something people choose to do so you are wrong

• Yes i would, my parents never went to college, my dad is a mechanic and my mom is a hair stylist. They are living good so i don't find it THAT important to have a college degree.

• Trade school yes. College yes. University yes. Apprenticeship yes. Online classes yes. If they just had a high school diploma and were not entrepreneurs than no. Education is extremely important to me.

• Sure

• Yes I would. I have enough education for the both of us. I would never look down on someone that didn't make the same choice I did.

• Why not? If he's focused on a real career nothing wrong with not going to college. I went to college and still got a dead end job.

• My boyfriend just started engeneering but we knew each other before he did. I wouldn't mind dating him at all even if he wouldn't have gone to college

• I did go to college but I would date someone who didn't go to college.

• Idrc lol

• Well, good luck to your kids!! 😳🔫 And there are a lot of decent guys, some even better guys than the ones who went to college, that you're just dismissing. Completely and utterly your loss and overall a silly and immature decision!!

• It really depends on the personality and if they're a hard worker. Personally, I wouldn't date someone who was very unstable, but rather someone who knew what they wanted and wanted to achieve it.

• I would date somebody that didn't have a college education. I don't think your rank in education defines your dating life. It also wouldn't be fair to those who didn't get/afford a college education.

• That's a valid point. As terrible as it sounds, I'd still go for someone who went to college before someone who couldn't afford to. I couldn't afford to. A lot of my friends couldn't either.

• I'd like that plus a degree. Bills are fine. Student loans are fine.

• Interesting to note...😜