Would you give up meat for your vegetarian boyfriend if it was a deal breaker?

My boyfriend and I have had issues recently and one recurring issue is the meat/veg diet. I’m a meat eater and never saw myself change, he is vegetarian and has a strict Indian family life, where he believes that I need to also be vegetarian at home because I will be moving into his house.

He’s making me choose between being a vegetarian at home and breaking up with him. I’m very torn because I know it’s a hard change and decision and the answer I give now will be final. So even if I think I can do it now, I can’t change my mind. I keep going back and forth on my decision with this because I don’t know what it’s going to be like.

Would you break up with someone over dietary requirements for the long term?

136205

Most Helpful Guy

• The fact that he is giving you a strict ultimatum of this kind of would give me the answer. It's not that he's saying, 'well I'm from a different culture, and we don't eat meat, so probably naturally you'd be eating less meat, is that cool?', etc.

It kind of sets a precedence for you being submissive to his will and his whims.

Personally, I'd tell him to go fuck himself. It's about respecting yourself and your perspectives, not being a good little doe-eyed sheep. Remember, it's not about how people treat us, but how we treat ourselves, and the decisions we make. But it's ultimately up to you, and the kind of life you want. This is all normative of course.

But the fact that he's unwilling to be sensitive and communicative would ring alarm bells to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• No lol, i like meat it adds flavour.
    "He’s making me choose between being a vegetarian at home and breaking up with him" i don't like being black mailed so i think i know which one i'd go with.