Do you tend to adopt the interests of your crush?

For example:
They're super into Lord of the Rings, so you watch all the movies and start to read the books.
Or they're super into mixed martial arts, so you read up on what's happening in that world.
Or they really like grunge music, so you listen to all the grunge you can find.

It's not that you're faking interest in these things- You genuinely want to understand why he/she is so passionate about XYZ and you're hoping to share in that passion.

I think I've done this before and I'm wondering if that's a good or bad thing. Is it somewhat deceitful to be extra excited about some topic that you aren't really all that well-versed in?

I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen 27 Dresses- It's a pretty terrible romantic comedy movie. One of the characters likes a guy sososo much she basically pretends to have the same exact interests so that he will like her back. There was a lot of drama when he found out what was going on, but I also think he was somewhat flattered by how much she wanted him to like her back. Anyways, share your thoughts!

524

Most Helpful Guy

• When you spend enough time with someone, you start to see the world through their eyes, in a manner of speaking. There is nothing wrong with discovering new interests that you would have otherwise ignored if you didn’t know that person.

However, feigning interest is really lame. It is really disappointing to have conversations like this:

ME: I thought you said you really liked that song.

HER: I just said that because I was having a good time with you and I didn’t want to ruin the mood.

ME: Oh. I wish you had felt comfortable with with just being honest about it.
    [Feeling disappointed because that is my favorite song and all this time I thought that was something we both liked].

• I completely agree. I think feigning interest is a problem... especially if you keep up the facade.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes i do actually, but only if its my type of thing, but if they introduce me to hobbies and i think i'll enjoy them then i'll happily give them ago and try them as well :) but i'd never pretend to be into something so they'd like me that pointless, like most guys i've been with were obsessed with football but i didn't pretend to like that :P

• That's the right way. A guy shouldn't force you into something you don't want to do either

• Right, I think if it sounds like something you might like, it makes sense to try it out. But if it's totally out of your comfort zone or interest... lol