Have you ever been gaslighted?

Have you ever been gaslighted?Gaslighting is a form of manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, hoping to make them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the target and delegitimize the target's belief system.

Catfishes use these tactics quite often since they have no intent on actually meeting anybody offline. Their goal is to make you feel and sound crazy when they give you their excuses on why they can't meet. Some people fall for this type of manipulation but most of the time can be squashed by just going with your gut feeling that something just isn't right here.

So have you ever been or know someone who has been gaslighted? Share your stories below!
  • YES
  • NO
  • NEVER HEARD OF IT UNTIL NOW
    Vote C

76123

Most Helpful Girl

• Next to guilt-tripping, this is my mother's favourite manipulation tactic.

My ex was also quite fond of it, so much so that it was his response to virtually every disagreement. Even something as simple as a difference of opinion over what to eat was met with, "I assumed that you would like my choice better because [insert long, convoluted story about incidents that never happened or did happen but were skewed in such a way so as to back up his claim]".

In the initial stages of our relationship, he would also question my memory during a lot of these disagreements. I figured (perhaps hopefully and idiotically) that if I met his claims with dispelling evidence and also went to great lengths to prove that I have quite a stellar memory in general (it's something I've always prided myself on), it would dissuade him from making these claims. Well, it did. But, instead of questioning my memory, he went on to questioning my sanity. :/

• Amazing to see how these people operate. It's down right evil. It's almost like you have to record everything like that one episode of black mirror... where they could simply rewind to any moment in their lives. CRAZYYYYY... Thank you so much for sharing.

• Your experience with your ex sounds dead-on like mine. Anyone else that knows me personally would say i am a good person but he tried hard to convince me that i was a selfish and crazy.
      He wanted to control every aspect of my life and would claim i agreed to things i hadn't and blame my memory when I'd disagree and try to make me feel bad about it till i change my mind.
      People like that are the worst and they don't deserve to be in any relationship.

• @Juleve

My exe did this to me too, except she had an excellent memory, but mine is poor. She'd quote me as having said terrible things that just were totally out of character for me to say. I started to doubt my sanity.

After months of that, I actually DID start to record our interactions and reassured myself. She was also an expert, with , degrees, in children and child-raising, so at first I thought what she was doing to our daughter was legit, but that turned out to be a way to manipulate the medical establishment. It took years to prove otherwise.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes but my girlfriend of the time. Face to face. I never wished her any bad.
    In the e d i had to record our conversations to check if I was nuts.
    This is not a word for word transcript but will give you an idea.
    "So what happened to your car?"
    "Some idiot ran up the back of me and nearly wrote off the car. Lucky it was still driveable and I could make it here"
    "So what the hell are you telling me for?"
    "You just asked me"
    "Did i? Whatever your fuct up head is telling you again is it. I never asked you anything".

This went in until I ended up recording these exchanges and when i finally had the humility to play them with friends present there jaws were in the floor because she had been trying to sew the same seeds into a my friends.
    Anyway dropped her off at the post office marked RETURN TO SENDER.