An open relationship, is it ever a good idea?

An open relationship is defined as a relationship in which two people agree that they want to be together, but don't want to be exclusive with just each other. What do you think? Good or bad and why?
  • Bad (why)
  • Good (why)
  • Other (explain and why)
    Vote C

1838

Most Helpful Guys

• bad in my opinion, takes the intimacy of a relation out of it. For me the only reason to have a relationship is to be bound to a person I love, to build trust to that person and to have her to myself.

• I know I feel the same way, Im way too possessive.. Like I couldnt do it 😂😂

• " is to be bound to a person I love, to build trust to that person and to have her to myself"
      Except for the "have her to myself" part every part of that sentence also applies to people in a open or poly relationship...

• If I ever decide to move on a relationship with someone, we both have to be exclusive for each other. I am already someone jealous and dominating, I wouldn't be cool about it.

It doesn't mean I am someone repressive or who expects her partner to follow his orders, but I am just serious and it is either a serious relationship or not.

I do believe in equality in a relationship, but there wasn't anything like my girlfriend would do anything she desired with her freedom. There are some limits for some things.

• That's fair enough

• A open or poly relationship can be every bit as serious (or often even more so) then a closed monogamous one.
      But fair enough.
      It's certainly not everyones coup of tea.
      And you two shouldn't try it out before you're both confident enough in your relationship to not feel that it's threathened by someone else.
      In other words if you starts worrying about her leaving you to be with someone else because you don't trust her love in you then perhaps a open or poly relationship isn't for you.

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't think open relationships are good. I'm more in line with friends with benefits. I feel that if you are emotionally attached to a person and want to date them, then there shouldn't be the option to go out and see other people.

• True, fair enough

• @Losalt Its all situational. If the other person is capable of having two relationships with two people and you as the other person are okay with that, then its perfectly fine. But if you tell her not to choose and that eats away at her because she's of the mindset that it should just be her and another person, then that isn't the right choice.
      It all depends on the people involved and what they are capable of

• "But if you tell her not to choose and that eats away at her because she's of the mindset that it should just be her and another person, then that isn't the right choice."
      I feel that is a decision for *her* to make, amd *not* me.
      Even if she is as you describe it would *still* be wrong in my view for *me* to impose the restriction on her.
      That said, I think the girls I deal with know themselves well enough to know if that is the case and would choose not to pursue two relationships if that didn't work out for them.
      I just feel that I *should* give her the option and then let her make that decision.

That said, you're very much right t hat it's situational.
      I wouldn't feel comfortable with sharing a girl with just anyone.
      I'd need to trust the guy I'd share her with to feel comfortable with it.

• To me it defies the whole point of a relationship. But as long as I'm not involved, it's none of my business.

• @Losalt Yes, I know some people see things differently, which is why I explicitly said "to me."
      Judging by this and several other comments here, you seem to be a bit too eager to show off your personal views, I'd say. Going out of your way to oppose people's personal opinions for no good reasons doesn't put you, and by extension whatever opinion you're voicing, in a very good light.

• You might be right.