An Open Letter to Teenagers in High School

Dear high school students,

I know high school may seem rough and tough, but trust me it's not the toughest thing you're going to have to deal with. In fact,if you're planning on going to college you're going to find it's a cakewalk compared alongside it.

All those popular people that claim that they are perfect, they aren't. They have everyday problems like you and me. In fact some of them are pressured to be like their parents were or to fit in to a society mold even though they really don't want to.

If you're being bullied, I just want to say never compromise what you believe in. That's what the bullies want. They have compromised because they are insecure and immature. They may have problems too, but instead of facing those problems head on, they channel it out on other people to make them feel bad. The only thing you're guilty of is being nearby for them to target.

The food may not be the best, but trust me some people are lucky to have it. Some of the others around you it may be the only food they get the whole day from sunrise to sunset. So someone else's distaste might be someone else's only meal.

Don't worry about being part of a clique and thinking in a group mentality. Have a few friends, but also have individuality. It has been often said variety is the spice of life. The group of Blonde Barbie wannabe plastics think in a group mentality because there is one person who wants them to be that way to make themselves feel good by having control over others. So what if you have one friend who's a little nerdy, another who is obsessed with rock music,and another who loves to take every history class available to them. It's all variety. Having friends with different backgrounds helps to see situations from more points of view than one.

If you're having trouble in any classes, be honest and let your teachers know. The guidance counselor or teacher may know some resources to help you get extra help so that you can understand the material better. Trust me if you ever need help, don't ever be afraid to speak up and ask.

You may not know what you want to do after high school, and that's ok. Some people choose college, some choose military service, some enter the workforce, and some even wait a few years to do either. It's all OK. There's nothing wrong with deciding you want to go to college later in life. There's nothing wrong with working for a while then going on to school or the military to better yourself. You are your own person. No one can make decisions about yourself or know themselves better than you.

Just remember it's all going to be ok. If you need help or don't understand, never be afraid to speak up. We're all different.

Sincerely,

A former High School student like yourself.

5
3

Most Helpful Girl

• Hasaboyfriend
    School is easy guys, as long as you don't have friends like I do.
    When you don't have friends, you can focus on your work. You don't have to worry about anyone else. When you don't have friends in high school, you'll be able to communicate with your teacher better, and develop a better bond with them. High school friends are going to be forgotten once you leave anyway. You'll be forgotten and you'll forget them too. That's why all my friends are over 20, because then I get no distractions in school, no stupid ideas from teenagers that wanna pull the fire alarm, you get better guidance as what to do after you graduate, since they are already in that position. Honestly, if you are going to high school, make some friends with the graduates. If this is your freshman year, you should make friends with a senior
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Unit1
    High school was a mandatory conviction for me. A battlefield without actual real fights.
    I couldn't wait until graduating. I had no friends at all but I kept my grades adequate.
    For me life became better as soon as I started college. Gradually but it became easier for me.

High school sucked! I'm glad I never have to go through this shit again. I couldn't stand anyone. Almost everyone was an idiot.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

42
  • AnayaWilliams
    Great advice for incoming freshman going into high school this Fall. Luckily I am a high school graduate and I couldn't be any happier. High School for me wasn't the best, I didn't have many friends, and I was always quiet and kept to myself. I'm going to be enrolling in college in the Fall, so excited but at the same time nervous. So glad to be done with HS and cannot wait to see what college brings.
  • BeerFarts
    I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since I graduated high school :( I'm such an old (beer) fart ;p

Good MT overall!
  • Swedgirl
    Great take, I'll start a new school this fall, will read this again right before school starts☺️
  • Jaye234
    Wonderful!! Although in my school I tried to get help even from the guidance counseler but she refused to help me. So I partied so I skipped school stayed fucked up even in school yes I screamed curse words at people who deserved it but a teacher refusing to help knowing I actually tried and even studied somewhat if I had payed attention and kissed ass I'd've made A's with flying fuckin colors but no I made b's and c's without trying my best so all I can say to the bitches I went to school with is: FUCK YOU. Have a great life. ;)
  • JRICHARDS1996
    One thing I would add is that despite everyone prompting you to have a plan after graduation, it does not really matter because not everything in life can be planned as well as we would like. Things happen, events come up, and due to a million of external factors outside of your control, plans fall apart. I graduated high school a year EARLY as valedictorian and student of the year, yet due to an unprecedented move among other factors, could not begin college until a year LATE. So while all of my friends will be graduating soon, I will not be graduating until a year or two after them. But I had a plan. I did everything perfect. But life happened, and the plan fell apart. Anyone who tells you to have a plan is full of it.
  • ginny_weasley
    This is a great take. Even though I am in college.