Pros and Cons of Lyft Driving

bloodmountain1990
Pros and Cons of Lyft Driving

This year I had to make some extra money and because my work/commute schedule takes up most of my weekdays, I had to find another source of income that was flexible. Lyft/Uber is one of the most flexible side gigs as you make your own hours. That being said, I would never suggest doing it full time.

Pros

1. It is a great source of extra money. It is an easy way to make more money as all you are doing is driving a person from point A to point B. I found it easier than standing behind a counter/desk.

2. You make your own hours. There is no commitment required. If you are too tired, busy, etc then you do not have to do it. If you want to stop lyft driving you can.

3. You can meet a lot of interesting people. The most interesting people made the ride go a lot more smooth and would generally tip

4. You can choose your area.

5. Longer rides mean more money. - Sometimes it is more efficient to give multiple long rides as opposed to many short ones.

Cons

1. The rating system is very strict. A rating of 4.6 or below out of 5.0 can get you deactivated. Some riders give bad ratings/reviews to get free rides or just want something to complain about.

2. Ride requests are infrequent and location is everything. If you're in a big city like Chicago, New York, LA, then it'll be easier to find requests. If you're in the suburbs or rural areas, they'll be very infrequent depending on the day. You could also drive for hours before getting a single request. It all varies

3. You don't know where the ride is going till you arrive at the passenger's location. You could go 10 mins away only to find out the ride is an hour out of the way. While you can cancel, I'd do so sparingly as there is an acceptance rating which they can deactivate you if you cancel too frequently.

4. You pay for your own gas/oil changes. Since you are an independent employee, you have pay for your own gas and ongoing maintenance. You can write them off as business expenses.

5. You have to file your own taxes. Just like number 4, because you are a 1099 employee, you have to file these taxes yourself since you do not have taxes taken out of your fares.

How to drive be successful in spite of the cons

1. Leave your driver mode on when you're at home, driving errands, or on the way somewhere. When I started driving, i used to drive around busier areas for rides. Sometimes I'd get rides instantly, but other times It'd be 1-2 hours before getting a ride request so I started leaving it on at home or while running errands so that way I wouldn't waste gas.

2. Make sure your car is clean and smells nice EVERY time. Don't smoke in your car and make sure it's spot clean otherwise you could get a bad rating.

3. Only make conversation with the passenger if they are in the mood. Some people want to talk, others don't. Feel them out otherwise they could give you a bad rating.

4. Make sure you are well rested. For the passenger's sake and your own sake, make sure you have enough energy to prevent accidents.

5. Research your areas. If you get a ride that's going to a bad area, turn on last ride mode. If you're passing through a bad area, turn your driver mode off.

Overall, despite the cons I have listed, it is good side money, but I would never suggest it full time.

Pros and Cons of Lyft Driving
Pros and Cons of Lyft Driving
3
5

Most Helpful Guy

• Redstang88
    I’ve always been curious to see the numbers on these ride sharing gigs. I find it hard to see it being worth it when you factor in gas, maintenance, and your time but there is enough people doing it that it must make sense.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Yeah, like I said it depends on the factors. Where you live, drive, and how you drive for lyft. Staying parked while you leave your app on, depending on the area, is more efficient than driving around in search of rides.

• How exactly does it work - are you paid by distance or time? And I’m guessing it’s a set rate for the ride?

• Both but mostly time. As soon as you pick up your ride, the minutes add up. The farther the ride, the more you make though.

Most Helpful Girl

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

24
  • Scarecrow13
    I drove with Lyft for a while. It is a lot of fun but the rating system is the worst part. I didn't have too much trouble getting rides as I would hang out by the college on weekends and get a ton of rides. What killed me was the ratings and not even knowing why someone would rate me badly.
  • JimRSmith
    Good tips. I've never used Lyft, but I have used Uber. The American drivers were great, the Ukrainian ones, and their vehicles, were something else, and not in a good way...
    • How so? Personalities or how they drove?

• JimRSmith

They were nice enough guys, I guess, but they didn't know where they were going, didn't use sat nav, or even their phones, at least not effectively, and some were driving literal wrecks. But they were still cheap, and more convenient than public transport, whilst taxi drivers knew every trick in the book to rip you off, so Uber were by far the best option, even despite this...

• Yep taxi drivers are angry at Lyft and Uber. Makes sense.

I’d also add that Lyft/Uber adds a lot of wear and tear on your car and also makes you more likely to get into an accident.

• Calzone2018
    Man I would be afraid because what if you pick up some nut? You never know who you will be dealing with.
  • NerdInDenial
    Very interesting
  • saucegoddess
    thank you!
  • TheOneEducatedGuess
    Okay