Interview 16 d

Day in the life of a D2 college Athlete. Women's basketball program

Msputiton

Let's talk about the life of a student Athlete.

What's it like, what's required of you, and what does it take to maintain your scholarship.

So I grew up in a itty bitty little town called Picayune. Yup not much happens in this little ole town. That worked out for little ole me🥴

See at a young age I got bored so I found something to entertain myself. BASKETBALL.

Almost immediately I fell in love with it. Around sophomore year people noticed this little skinny thing on the court, that was just smothering anyone who had the ball.

Blocking shots and occasionally putting up buckets.

I was never known for scoring, but defensively I was a powerhouse, and my speed off the charts.

So my momma created me an Instagram page, and youtube page solely to show off my highlights and get colleges interested in me.

Well it worked I didn't get too many offers, mostly because I was 5'5 100lbs. But I didn't care. I am going to college!!! 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 on a scholarship to play my favorite sport.

But I have to leave my family, my momma, and my pops and my little brother🥺🥺🥺.

Okay, okay let's get to the actual topic of the Mytake. What's is it like to be on a scholarship. 1 word. Exhausting. 😭

The End. I hope you enjoyed it.

Naw y'all just kidding.

So picture me laying in my little bed drooling 🤤 and the blaring noise of my alarm clock waking me up at 4:30am.

I get up I shower, best way to get me woke. I get out my bookbag(got all my gear and most importantly my deodorant) nobody claiming Shamiah is stinky.

So about 5:15 i go look at my roommate/teammate still sleeping not a morning person at all.

Roomie on the left, love her
Roomie on the left, love her

So I turn on the light and pull her blanket off and force her out the bed. I wait for her to get ready, while I wait I pack me and her some healthy snacks, like grapes and I pack two bananas we make it to the weight room at 6AM.

We lift weights depending on the day. We finish by 7AM.

Day in the life of a D2 college Athlete. Womens basketball program

The school provides us protein packs and supplements I make a smoothie, which I always do. I always make me oatmeal as well also provided for us and grab a bottle of water. I eat it up yummy.

I'm now running to my first class at 8AM. This is purposely done.

They keep our classes from 8am to 1pm at my college. So we are ready for practice.

I get through my classes with the help of my snack I packed earlier🥰

Now I go get lunch meet a few teammates and we just have fun laughing and building Chemistry.

Now comes my favorite part of my day. It's 2pm this is when I call my EX who is my bestfriend. We talk for about 30 minutes.

It's 2:30 i make my way home. I try to knock out 1 assignment.

I look up at the clock. Alarm goes off letting me know it's 3:15. I go meet my roomie at 3:30. I give her a banana and I eat one. We drink 2 bottles of water.

The banana helps prevent cramping and the water keeps us hydrated so we have less water breaks needed.

3:45 we walk into the locker room where our banner sits as a constant reminder of what the school expects

I always point at it when I walk past. We change into our practice jersey.

4pm practice starts and it is hell. Our coach she always says, put in 3 times the effort needed for gameday and she has yet to disappoint.

We cant bring our phones during practice so heres a pic of me training with my PT back in Picayune in between seasons.
We can't bring our phones during practice so here's a pic of me training with my PT back in Picayune in between seasons.

So NCAA rules say we can't practice more than 4 hrs a day including weights, so we wrap at 7:15. 🤫 she always sneaks those 15 extra minutes.🤷🏾‍♀️ all for this!!

Its what we all do it for, I know Im lookin smooth wit it
It's what we all do it for, I know I'm lookin smooth wit it

Practice wraps me and my teammates quickly shower go off campus get some food.

Couple of my teammates after practice, rare day it ended early

Okay so we talk and eat. We usually crackin on eachother's mistakes made during practice. Usually someone on the team purposely said or did something at practice that had us all dyin so we talk bout that.

8:45 me and my roomie get home. I go straight to my room to FT my parents and little brother. We talk about our days and sometimes my little brother shows me something he made me, to let me know he misses and loves me😭. He is the best little brother ever.

9pm we get off FT because i gotta finish my work. I hate saying goodbye to them🥺

Iturn on my music really low and get to studying and doing my work.

Okay so about 1AM tired exhausted and ready for bed I finish up. I check on my roomie who is always passed out in her bed mid assignment, books and papers everywhere. I pack up her stuff mark where she left off. Cover her up and I go to bed around 1:15am.

4:30AM my alarm is going off, time to do it again😔

Trust me, ya don't wanna know what it's like on GameDay 😳

Okay so this was fun making, and I hope you enjoyed reading it.

23
5
5Girl Opinion
23Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• WhiteSteve
    This was such a cool read! And congrats, CHAMP!!!🏆 I actually opted not to play football in college because I had friends from high school who left before me and told me it was HECTIC. And it was going to be D-III ball anyway, not like I had a pro future, I just wanted to party at college lmao. I did play semipro ball in my 20s and 30s, and that was awesome, but I wish I had the college team experience, I’m sure that’s much tighter-knit bonds. No regrets though, I wouldn’t have gone to school where I did and moved to that area, and everything that led me up to meeting my lady, so every decision right or wrong that I’ve made before that was ultimately right, as I see it.

But anyway, good for you! You sound like the personification of tenacious defense, haha. I’m 6’2 but I bet you could still get a double-double guarding me between blocks and steals😂 Keep up the good work on and off the court! Good luck!
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • WhiteSteve

Oh, forgot to say…one of my housemates in college (or I was out of school still bumming around the college scene at this point😂) was one of the stars of our football team, he eventually played in the NFL. Another housemate played as well, and many more of my friends. Anyway, the non-NFL housemate was a smart guy, real good athlete but knew his future wasn’t football. He was on the perfect grind, I was so in awe of his discipline. I hardly ever saw him, haha. Out of the house early AM probably right after I was going to sleep (I was working at a bar at night), same deal as you…. lift, class, practice, homework. Kid was in unbelievable shape, looked like a statue. Didn’t drink anything, smoke anything, pop anything, nothing. And wicked nice, absolute gentleman. Kind of a square, I guess, but he was cool, haha. Then my other buddy, who did later play pro…. very different, lmfao. Not a dumb guy necessarily, but I swear this kid never cracked a book once. He was an early bird too; he had to be, but his routine was: lift, I guess he was at class (?), practice, come home and play Madden, smoke blunts if it was the off-season, have a groupie over for like 15 minutes in-and-out🤦‍♂️😂, more Madden, another blunt, and then sheets. When he got signed, he obviously moved away, and our lease was up a month or so later. I’m clearing out some stuff while moving, and I found a binder with loose leaf paper, almost entirely unused, one page of attempted notes from a class, another page of him practicing his autograph lmfao, and like a third of a page starting some sort of assignment, and I honestly would’ve thought it was written by a 13 year old, again, not because he was dumb, but because he just could not have possibly cared less😂 And he didn’t have to.

• WhiteSteve

The NFL didn’t pan out that great, but the CFL did, and also some modeling, and now he’s a mostly-unknown TV personality, but he’s working his way up in the industry, and most importantly, is WORKING at all, haha. And the funniest part is he took speech lessons so he lost his old country ass accent he used to have, and now he talks pretty clean. It still throws me off to hear him😂 Like I have an old saved voicemail from him and he’s just like “ayyy, ayyy, dog…. ayyy, cuh, whattup, isyaboy B-Lon’, ayyy, I’m finna….”🤣🤣🤣, and now this talks like he’s on the news and shit lmfao. Good for him, it’s just funny to me as one of his old friends, haha. But yeah, all his learning seems to have come AFTER college, they obviously didn’t push him too hard. They must have been fudging something, I can’t imagine the NCAA isn’t all over that stuff, especially high profile sports like football.

• Msputiton

Yeah i noticed your pfp. I'm guessin that nefl is.
      I have plans after college and my education is my priority.
      Thing a lot of us don't realize coming in is more than 90% of us ain't moving on to the next stage and will need to get a 9 to 5.
      So many cruise through college and when they graduate reality hits.
      That's what i love bout my coach she reminds daily of this reality.
      Not being mean but in a helpful loving mother way.
      She wants us successful in all aspects of our lives
      I love basketball but it is just a way to achieve my dreams.

• ChrisMaster69
    Really lovely MyTake Miah, loved it and thank you for doing it.

it’s a really good read, definitely a sorted day and packed.

i like how they start early n finish early.

what’s your season run from and to?

@Harleigh90 this is worth a read and something to consider after the 14th… A day in the life of…..
    Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Harleigh90

@ChrisMaster69 A day in the life of an overtired, emotional student midwife 🤣

• @Harleigh90 and whip cracking Gorgeous Dance girlie

• Msputiton

We start preparing for the season nov 1.
      We finish up march 2. Unless we make it to the playoffs.
      But we never stop training.
      During the offseason we just get PT and have them train us so we continue to improve.

Most Helpful Girls

• Cherry234
    Oh nice we're the same height! But I'm well over 100 lbs. I definitely did enjoy reading this. Thank you for writing this take. How do you thrive on only approx. 3 hrs of sleep a night? I couldn't do that. Also how difficult do you find balancing your schoolwork with practice?
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • Msputiton

Thank you.
      Yeah I'm a skinnie Minnie 🥴 i have put 7 lbs since hs though.

But as for your question. It is very hard. I just push through it, and on Sundays i sleep in eat go back to sleep, eat and go back to sleep.
      Same for in-between semesters.
      Now it's normal routine so i don't struggle as much.
      There is times i am frustrated trying to keep up with it but it's pretty much a routine at this point.

Freshman year i remember falling behind and calling coach to tell her i need to skip practice to catch up.
      Her response was : i don't give a fuck how you get it down, just better damn well not be on my time, get your ass to practice or don't bother coming back.
      I remember breaking down calling my mom crying telling her i couldn't do it. They want to much.

Momma don't play, she said.

Miah, you ain't worked this hard just to give up now, you suck it up, find a way to endure. We ain't raise no quitter.

But I'm a junior now, and it's just 3 years of it, and just kinda seems normal by now

• Cherry234

Oh wow. Good job on adjusting to that hectic routine.

• Msputiton

Thanks big sis🥰

• jennifer_bloom
    Wow, it seems your schedule is super tight, I guess this is the norm when you are doing high profile events, I never even played sports at the high school level but I loved ping pong time with family at home.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

321
  • emperor90
    Wow thats good i learnt something new
    Like 1 Person
  • PeterSmith1983
    Great work!
  • Unable
    How tall are girls at the 4 and 5?
    • Msputiton

All depends on the team.

My team starting 4 is 6'2 and starting 5 is 6'3

But height doesn't always mean you play a specific position.
      It really about if your skills fits the position.

I'm built like a 1 but play 2.

One of our 1s is built like 3 or 4 but plays like a 1.

• Unable

I know, I was just curious. Cool myTake though, congrats on the success

• Anonymous
    Interesting to read, but cringing so hard at the excessive duck face in the first photo
    Like 2 People