10 Best Rivalries in Comics

Here are my favorite ones.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

10. Namor and Human Torch

This is Marvel's oldest rivalry. These two were the first superheroes that Marvel created and the first superheroes to ever fly (yes they both did it before Superman). This isn't the same Human Torch from the Fantastic Four but an android that works for the NYPD. Namor was considered the king of the sea and Torch could light himself on fire, so they pretty much were opposites.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

That was during the Golden Age. They even had a few fights during the Silver Age when Namor was a frequent Fantastic Four villain. This was before Invisible Woman discovered all of her powers and Johnny was considered the most powerful of the group.

9. Wonder Woman and Ares

So the God of War who gets more powerful when there's violence needs to be stopped by an Amazon who wants to end all wars? Fun!

There was also the time when she replaced him by being the God of War herself.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

Fun Fact: Ares will be the primary antagonist in the upcoming Wonder Woman live action film.

8. Betty and Veronica

10 Best Rivalries in Comics10 Best Rivalries in Comics

7. Reed Richards and Doctor Doom

They went to school together and have been intellectual rivals for as long as they've known each other. Also, they are hands down the smartest men on Earth.

6. Professor X and Magneto

Always loved this one. They both still consider each other as friends but don't get along because of their ideologies.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

5. Hal Jordan and Sinestro

4. Spider-Man and Venom

Now I don't think that Venom is the best Spider-Man villain, especially since Norman Osborn has tortured Peter a lot more and made his life a living hell. I still prefer stories featuring Venom, though. Even though they are known for being enemies, they've teamed up a lot of times and were even friends once.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

3. Superman and Lex Luthor

Now I try to avoid bringing politics into my takes, but the feud between the two is the classic standoff ideals and morals vs corruption at the ultimate level. Superman is the symbol of truth justice and the American way. Luther is greed and power.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

2. Batman and Joker

We all know their relationship is complicated, but I think Joker describes it nicely in The Killing Joke.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce sanest man alive to lunacy.

That's how far the world is from where I am.

You had a bad day once, am I right? Why else would you dress up like a flying rat? Something like that happened to me, you know?

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

1. Thanos and Deadpool

This is probably the most intense one on this list. It escalated from them just being love rivals for Mistress Death to them literally ruining each other's lives. Thanos is the reason why Deadpool was immortal. Deadpool wants to die and Thanos is the only one who can kill him, but he won't do it. He knows that if he lets Deadpool die, Deadpool wins.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

Even though I think that Deadpool is an overrated character, his history with Thanos is one of the most beautiful stories I've read. They might hate each other but they're similar in more ways than one. They both see their immortality as a curse and they're afraid of dying alone.

If there's any other rivalry that you think deserves to be on this list, comment below :)

Also, there's a reason I didn't mention Batman and Superman. I'm honestly tired of seeing them both go at it.

#LTComicTakes

821
LadyTerror is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Damn, I'm surprised about deadpool and Thanos.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 20

• Maybe Aliens and Predators should be added to comic rivalries list since it all started there and one of the most recognized:

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...ator_-_comic_cover.jpg

But it eventually led to video games starting with the 1993 Super Nintendo game:

static.giantbomb.com/.../...es_alienvspredator.jpg

I am most familiar with the Batman and Joker rivalry and I find it to be the most interesting, because of how opposite they are, Batman is about Order and Justice, while Joker is all about Chaos and Destruction.

The Thanos and Deadpool one also has my attention. Both being immortals, I think I need to read those comics. It also has deep existential stuff to it, so that's why it caught my attention.

• I actually didn't know there was a comic series. But I've seen the movies and that was pretty much the start of these crossovers. It's still one of the most iconic ones. I guess I'll have to check it out

• I'll check it out 😁

• @LadyTerror speaking of the AvP movies they were awful but that's from my own perspective, my Biggest Gripe with those movies is the setting they decided to go with, which is modern Earth setting mixed with ancient Earth setting for the first movie.

Both AvP movies broke away from the traditional set in 'outer space in the very distant future', from the source materials (comics and video games), which would be set in the 2170s and beyond; Aliens was set in 2179 with the Marines which are frequently in the video games.

There was also many inconsistencies throughout both AvP movies, but nonetheless they were really just meant to be popcorn flicks, and again, more marketing, or even experimental purposes. First came the comics, then the toys and action figures, then the video games, and then finally both movies.

Perhaps one day, they'll might make a new reboot movie of AvP and keep it consistent with the source material in a distant future in outer space, but until then.

• I seriously just don't get how Lex can remain a perpetual villain. I mean, literally EVERYONE trusts the Man of Steel. Why wouldn't they trust him when he says Lex is a criminal mastermind? How is Lex constantly on the loose?

• Well he does have a lot of money. He pays people off and gets his way. He also tries to get the news channels that are against him shut down.

• That can only work for so long. At some point it should become obvious that he's a criminal, especially if the every symbol of justice is CONSTANTLY fighting him.

• 2|0
    • Yeah I was gonna add them too

• From your list thought of course i like Batman and the Joker. they are probably the best overall

• Namor and Human Torch were created in 1939. Superman was created in 1938. Superman flew long before those two.

• Superman couldn't fly back then. He could just 1/4 of a mile. He got that power much later

• He officially started flying in Action Comics #65, which came out in 1943

• But he was unofficially flying by late 1938. He was keeping it a secret. Shhhh...

• s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...e2fba0bc62.jpg

I know outside Italy Flintheart Glomgold is the Top Rival of Uncle Scrooge, but here is not the same.
    I've read Micky Mouse from 5 to 16, and on its own simplicity, John D. Rockerduck is one of my favourite character.

• kick ass article sis, as a comic geek I have no choice but to praise it!

I would like to add Wolverine and Sabre Tooth to the list

• Tom & jerry had the best rivalry of all time, idc what anyone says

• Wonder Woman and Ares, hmm, it reminds me of Xena and Ares ;)

• The greatest of all time to me is Snake Eyes vs. Storm Shadow in G. I. Joe.

• I'm curious to watch Deadpool movies now.

• Who's Veronica, and Betty? What are their powers?

• They're actually not superheroes lol. This take was about my favorite rivalries from all comics, including non-superhero ones. They're basically love rivals

• Oh, alright then :P

• Good list.
    P. S I hate Veronica.

• Did you- ... did you say Deadpool was overrated?

• Nice!
    You forgot wolverine and sabretooth!

• No spider man green goblin or Thor loki

• Wolverine and the hulk

• pretty good, yep.

• Nice.

What Girls Said 7