10 Best Rivalries in Comics

LadyTerror

Here are my favorite ones.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

10. Namor and Human Torch

This is Marvel's oldest rivalry. These two were the first superheroes that Marvel created and the first superheroes to ever fly (yes they both did it before Superman). This isn't the same Human Torch from the Fantastic Four but an android that works for the NYPD. Namor was considered the king of the sea and Torch could light himself on fire, so they pretty much were opposites.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

That was during the Golden Age. They even had a few fights during the Silver Age when Namor was a frequent Fantastic Four villain. This was before Invisible Woman discovered all of her powers and Johnny was considered the most powerful of the group.

9. Wonder Woman and Ares

So the God of War who gets more powerful when there's violence needs to be stopped by an Amazon who wants to end all wars? Fun!

There was also the time when she replaced him by being the God of War herself.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

Fun Fact: Ares will be the primary antagonist in the upcoming Wonder Woman live action film.

8. Betty and Veronica

10 Best Rivalries in Comics
10 Best Rivalries in Comics

7. Reed Richards and Doctor Doom

They went to school together and have been intellectual rivals for as long as they've known each other. Also, they are hands down the smartest men on Earth.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics
10 Best Rivalries in Comics

6. Professor X and Magneto

Always loved this one. They both still consider each other as friends but don't get along because of their ideologies.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

5. Hal Jordan and Sinestro

10 Best Rivalries in Comics
10 Best Rivalries in Comics

4. Spider-Man and Venom

Now I don't think that Venom is the best Spider-Man villain, especially since Norman Osborn has tortured Peter a lot more and made his life a living hell. I still prefer stories featuring Venom, though. Even though they are known for being enemies, they've teamed up a lot of times and were even friends once.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

3. Superman and Lex Luthor

Now I try to avoid bringing politics into my takes, but the feud between the two is the classic standoff ideals and morals vs corruption at the ultimate level. Superman is the symbol of truth justice and the American way. Luther is greed and power.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

2. Batman and Joker

We all know their relationship is complicated, but I think Joker describes it nicely in The Killing Joke.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce sanest man alive to lunacy.

That's how far the world is from where I am.

You had a bad day once, am I right? Why else would you dress up like a flying rat? Something like that happened to me, you know?

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

1. Thanos and Deadpool

This is probably the most intense one on this list. It escalated from them just being love rivals for Mistress Death to them literally ruining each other's lives. Thanos is the reason why Deadpool was immortal. Deadpool wants to die and Thanos is the only one who can kill him, but he won't do it. He knows that if he lets Deadpool die, Deadpool wins.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics

Even though I think that Deadpool is an overrated character, his history with Thanos is one of the most beautiful stories I've read. They might hate each other but they're similar in more ways than one. They both see their immortality as a curse and they're afraid of dying alone.

10 Best Rivalries in Comics
10 Best Rivalries in Comics

If there's any other rivalry that you think deserves to be on this list, comment below :)

Also, there's a reason I didn't mention Batman and Superman. I'm honestly tired of seeing them both go at it.

#LTComicTakes

10 Best Rivalries in Comics
22
8
8Girl Opinion
22Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Mustachekitteh
    Damn, I'm surprised about deadpool and Thanos.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    DC and Marvel duh
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

721
  • JudgmentDay
    Maybe Aliens and Predators should be added to comic rivalries list since it all started there and one of the most recognized:

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...ator_-_comic_cover.jpg

But it eventually led to video games starting with the 1993 Super Nintendo game:

static.giantbomb.com/.../...es_alienvspredator.jpg

I am most familiar with the Batman and Joker rivalry and I find it to be the most interesting, because of how opposite they are, Batman is about Order and Justice, while Joker is all about Chaos and Destruction.

The Thanos and Deadpool one also has my attention. Both being immortals, I think I need to read those comics. It also has deep existential stuff to it, so that's why it caught my attention.
    Like 1 Person
    • LadyTerror

I actually didn't know there was a comic series. But I've seen the movies and that was pretty much the start of these crossovers. It's still one of the most iconic ones. I guess I'll have to check it out

• @LadyTerror AvP started in 1989, PRIOR TO the second Predator movie Despite popular belief, because at the time Dark Horse Comics had obtained both the rights and licenses to create and produce Aliens and Predator comics and then they decided to try and mesh them together, and it worked very well.

The very beginning of the video games started with the Super Nintendo/Famicom AvP game, that was the "genesis" of AvP video games you can say, as that game was really just for experimental for marketing purposes at the time, but that niche grew over time and more newer and better video games came afterwards.

If you really want to read them start with the very very beginning, the "genesis", the very first issue of Aliens vs. Predator comics as that's where it all began.

You can read the original Aliens vs. Predator comics here for free: readcomiconline.to/.../TPB-1-Part-1?id=60705

The very, very beginning is from pages 1-34, and then it leads into the main original 4-issue saga.

• @LadyTerror

Or try this link, but you may have to go through the captcha process to prove that you aren't bot: readcomiconline.to/.../TPB-1-Part-1

• ThisDudeHere
    I seriously just don't get how Lex can remain a perpetual villain. I mean, literally EVERYONE trusts the Man of Steel. Why wouldn't they trust him when he says Lex is a criminal mastermind? How is Lex constantly on the loose?
    Like 2 People
    • LadyTerror

Well he does have a lot of money. He pays people off and gets his way. He also tries to get the news channels that are against him shut down.

• That can only work for so long. At some point it should become obvious that he's a criminal, especially if the every symbol of justice is CONSTANTLY fighting him.

• Toad-1
    Like 2 People
    • LadyTerror

Yeah I was gonna add them too

• Toad-1

From your list thought of course i like Batman and the Joker. they are probably the best overall

• BubbleBoy69
    Like 2 People
  • CapnHawk
    Namor and Human Torch were created in 1939. Superman was created in 1938. Superman flew long before those two.
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • LadyTerror

Superman couldn't fly back then. He could just 1/4 of a mile. He got that power much later

• CapnHawk

It took him less than a year to learn how to fly.

• LadyTerror

He officially started flying in Action Comics #65, which came out in 1943

• Pulcinella
    Duh, but where is Super Mario vs Bowser? https://cdn.wallpapersafari.com/34/82/Z6j79d.png 😜
    Like 1 Person
  • Giacomanzo
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...e2fba0bc62.jpg

I know outside Italy Flintheart Glomgold is the Top Rival of Uncle Scrooge, but here is not the same.
    I've read Micky Mouse from 5 to 16, and on its own simplicity, John D. Rockerduck is one of my favourite character.
    Like 3 People
    • Toad-1

Wow someone who knows of their existence!

• Giacomanzo

@Toad-1 Actually it is very popular here.

• CasaNorba
    kick ass article sis, as a comic geek I have no choice but to praise it!

I would like to add Wolverine and Sabre Tooth to the list
    Like 4 People
  • JayLiche
    Tom & jerry had the best rivalry of all time, idc what anyone says
    Like 1 Person
  • ambertaylor
    Good list! Enjoyed that you strayed from the basics and went deeper in to some of the lesser knowns.
    Like 1 Person
  • Femdomina
    Meh, I still think the Green Goblin is the most prominent rival of Spider-Man.
    Like 1 Person
  • Jemini_Crocket
    The rivalry between Joker and Batman is my favorite. ♥ Cool list.
    Like 1 Person
  • Zorax
    Wonder Woman and Ares, hmm, it reminds me of Xena and Ares ;)
    Like 1 Person
  • ChocoLada
    Cool myTake, but Batman has some other enemies, more dangerous than Joker.
    Like 1 Person
  • Wade12345
    Link vs Gannon, if you include video game characters.
  • chc0009
    The greatest of all time to me is Snake Eyes vs. Storm Shadow in G. I. Joe.
    Like 1 Person
  • YourFutureEx
    I'm curious to watch Deadpool movies now.
    Like 1 Person
  • Imhotep99
    Good list.
    P. S I hate Veronica.
    Like 2 People
  • ImaginativeDreamer
    Who's Veronica, and Betty? What are their powers?
    Like 1 Person
    • LadyTerror

They're actually not superheroes lol. This take was about my favorite rivalries from all comics, including non-superhero ones. They're basically love rivals

• Oh, alright then :P

• Show More (8)