My Experience in Martial Arts

Just to be clear, I have only been doing martial arts for a little over 6 months, so I might not have as much to bring to the table as others. But I hope this will come out very informative to you.

My Experience in Martial Arts

I'm a yellow belt in taekwondo, and I am 15. And as you already know, I have been doing this for 6 months. I love it and hope to continue doing this for a very long time. And to learn other martial arts along the way.

If you don't do martial arts, I recommend you try it. No matter what you will be accepted, there are people of all ages and sizes there, I assure you it is a judgment free zone. And rather fun too. It teaches discipline, not only in class but outside of it too.

You don't have to do taekwondo necessarily, do any martial art you want. There is so many, and so much I want to try myself. Most places have a trial class, if you don't like it, don't go. But I do encourage you to take a class. I have made many friends through it.

The building I do taekwondo in is fairly small so we have to squeeze everybody in. Including the parents of the younger kids. And with all the people, it becomes crowded pretty quickly. There are 5 instructors and an even bigger class. We have gotten a lot of white belts in the past month, and they outnumber the rest of us sometimes. But even with it so crowded, it's a very friendly environment and I wouldn't switch it for anything else.

The longer you do martial arts, the easier it will be to remember everything. The hardest thing is being a white belt, you have absolutely no idea what you're doing and you feel like you look ridiculous. Truth is, everybody looks ridiculous. So don't sweat it. And you'll do fine.

Also, don't do anything stupid. Which includes not listening to your instructor. We had a kid break his arm messing around. If you're listening to your instructor there's a less likely chance of ever hurting yourself then there is thinking you know what you're doing.

My Experience in Martial Arts

Testing. Now that's something I'll probably stress over for a while. You have to get up in front of everybody, do something you've been practicing for a good month or two, and then perform it in front of your entire class. It sounds stressful when I describe it, but it's over before you know it. And the chances of you failing are pretty low considering you've been practicing for it, but it happens. Still, don't stress over it, you'll psyche yourself out.

Don't have much else to add but I hope you enjoyed this.

Tell me what you think below. And tell me what martial arts your interested in too!

316

Most Helpful Guy

• Practitioner of Traditional Goju Ryu, Tradtional Kyokushin Karate, Original Niten Ichi Ryu, Traditional Western Boxing, Eskrima, Wing Chun,
    Jeet Kune Do ( both the art and the philosophy ) MCMAP, Jujutsu.

And finally Ninjutsu at least what I've been able to learn from the translated Bansenshukai and the Shoninki which for those that do not know is easily one of the most important documents/scrolls of the ninja. And other translated documents and teachers etc.

I agree whit what you've said, though it should be noted that this will change depending on the school your in and your reasons for training in martial arts.

One thing to remember at least when training in the traditional martial arts not these entertainment style modern knockoffs is that martial arts in it's core is 1 part physical 1 part spiritual if you ever hope to truly master your art you need to remember that, and train in both the physical and spiritual aspect.

Also stretch everyday and train ( fitness ) in order to condition your body to be able to deal with the rigors of martial arts. Plus a healthy and strong body helps when dealing with martial arts and in life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been learning kungfu for three years, and specifically taiji which is a lot like yoga. Learning self-defence with meditation and grace, it's really interesting. I was given to learn it because of experiencing bullying, and although I'm still not the beating type of person (no matter how much I know martial arts I can't best people because of my sensitive mind lol) but that doesn't mean I'll do nothing if I get attacked.

Many guy friends steer away from me and make jokes. But why will I beat someone I love? Like come on I just wanna hug. :(

I love how I'm strong, flexible and balanced at the same time. Learning kungfu has really given me a nice body and a lot of confidence. Our kungfu teacher is a really sweet woman, almost like a mother outside the classroom. :)

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 15

• I use to practice Tae Kwon do when I was 9 years old. However kicking isn't my forte so I decided to practice some BJJ and small circle Jiujitsu.

• I learned Combat Sambo for several years. Got a green belt. My class was at a school in the evening. Not very crowded, and 4 instructors. Every class started with stretches. Repetative movements all over the body for about 20 minutes if my memory is correct. The first few classes were about safety. Correct ways to fall backwards, forwards, rolling, etc. to prevent injuries. Then simple practice moves to dodge attacks such as punches and kicks. Then came more advanced movements instead of just dodging attacks. Learned how to use strength of the attacker against themselves. Tripping, wrist locks, ankle locks, and more. Then game defense against weapons such as sticks, knives, and guns.
    I used a few martial arts techniques when I had fights in middle and high school. And it's great exercise too. Hate lifting weights, running is kinda boring, but fighting is awesome. So, it's a great alternative.
    Man, writing all this makes me wanna go back to class. I'm glad you enjoy it. Keep on going because you will not regret it 👍

• Quite a bit of experience from Shotokan Karate , like yourself TKD , later from my British Army service , Western Boxing , the Army's Judo & Wrestling ( rough , ready & effective ) & Muay Thai ( the most overall effective striking system ) as well as some Savate , Wing Chun & Filipino styles. It MUST be instinctive for it to work in a real situation , complex , flashy stuff will get you hurt / killed. Had to fight off / back bullies , was a small early / mid teen... now definitely heavyweight !!

• I have a black belt in Shotokan karate.
    I train and teach (usually the juniors and the senior white and yellow belts) five days per week.
    I support everything that you said.
    I have always admired some of the kicks that Tae Kwan Do people can do. These days my roundhouse kick does not get much higher that arse level. - lol

• Mine reaches six feet. I don't rely on kicks much though.

• @TheSniper
      I do not rely on kicks, either.
      Kicks have their purpose, but they are secondary for students of most styles of karate.
      My main use, on the street, would be a side thrust kick to the knee of an attacker before they were close enough to hit me. Problem solved. One 'promising football career' (as the apologists for criminals and sundry sociopaths like to say of perps) over.
      A well-place kick is also one way to deal with an opponent who is much larger and, consequently, has a longer reach.

• I practice Tai Chi, nearing 3 years. A friend introduced me to it, there are no clubs for that discipline around here. I also received some light training in systema, wrestling and brazilian jiujitsu back in the military.

I think it's great if people can get into practicing relatively early. Helps avoiding getting into trouble and gives a much more useful overview of what violence is and why it should be avoided. In the world of TKD there is also competition.

• I'm black belt 1st Dan Taekwondo, currently training box. I've seen guys and girls training for years and still suck and some that made far more progress for 6 months. In Taekwondo i learned to make a good kick you need do be relaxed and pushing your kick from the ground with your feet to create power, also puting your body into it.

• "The hardest thing is being the white belt". No. If it doesn't get harder as you level up, then there is something wrong with your school.
    Plus my advice to everyone is to start learning martial arts when they re adults as its totally different mentality then. When you're a teen, not to mention a kid, its just a cute sport. Its not. Not even close.

Anyways. You seem to like it a lot. You should definitely continue.

• What I was trying to say was that the hardest thing is learning new things, though I don't think I made that very clear, apologies.

• When you throw hands like me you don't need this extra stuff. My haymaykers will take care of anyone in your fucking gym!

• Blue belt in taekwondo and four years of mixed martial arts here.
    After learning tkd I recommend you to join mma as it contains the aspects of many martial arts. If not mma, join Brazilian jiu jitsu or kickboxing. Shotokan karate will do too. Good luck.

• Thanks! I'm looking forward to learning more :)

• I've done various self taught martial arts since I was 6 and got some training in Jeet Kune Do a decade ago.
    I LOVE martial arts. It's the one thing I can do consistently, constantly and it inspires me.

I originally did it to defend myself against bullies and criminals, but now I just do it for health and to see if I can get the RYU type of strength!!
    fightingstreet.com/.../RyuBackDrawing.jpg

• Oh stop it... lol... don't break a nail there sugafluff

• Jujitsu and boxing has served me well

• I learned the ultimate martial arts move: a gun.

• just get a gun

• I practice Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Warning for those that might try. It's the most expensive martial art out there. You pay like $130 a month. And if you care about belt ranking you should know you'll be wearing a white belt for like 1-2 years before you get promoted to a blue belt.

• Same.

I've taken many martial arts, I have black belts in other systems, but BJJ is king for me.

Speaking of which, I just earned my blue belt two nights ago after 4 years!

What Girls Said 2

• Cool! Keep it going!

• I took capoeira.. played street hockey for years and eventually tried krav maga, muay thai and kung fu. I never became advanced but I knew some basics and I loved it very much. Life happens though, work and school take up more time now.