Top 10 Movies That Actually Frightened Me

just_tired

Top 10 scary movies

Top 10 movies that actually frightened me

There's many types of horror movies and I really like most sub genres, but not all of them are scary. They are maybe meant to be scary for someone, but most of the time they're just exciting, disturbing or thrilling ..or funny, but not that often truly frightening. However, there are some that have made me spooked on some level and here's top 10 scariest.

10. Paranormal Activity

It's about a couple that starts thinking their house is haunted and begins to videotape it nightly to see what's happening. Now, if you're watching this alone in a dark room with headphones volume high (like you should), the tension of waiting, if something happens and listening to the idle sounds was truly a heart pounding experience. The experience might not be as good now that most people no what the movie is about, but when I first watched the movie, I was a bit scared.

9. The Blair Witch Project

The movie that started the found footage craze and my favorite horror movie sub genre. Three film students go into woods to look for the Blair Witch and film the experience. They end up getting lost and freaky things start to happen.. What makes the movie good and build tension is that it shows as little as possible, somewhat because of budget restraints, but it ends up working for the best. You can really feel how frightened the characters are and empathize with it.

8. Sinister

This is a movie that could easily top the list, if it wasn't for the ending. I'm not going to spoil it, but I don't think it worked at all. The movie tells about a writer who writes about true crimes and moves with his family to a house where unsolved murders happened (without telling his family about it). He finds a box of super 8 home movies from the house and begins to see there's a connection. This movie really builds tension masterfully and really works with the less is good mentality. Since the movie is about true crimes, it feels like something that could actually happen in real life and just adds to the horror. Most throughout the movie the tension was possibly scariest I've ever felt, until the end came.. I still really recommend watching though.

7. The Birds

A true classic from a horror genius, that is scary to this day.. A young woman from San Francisco pursues a guy he's infatuated with to a small town where birds suddenly start attacking people. There's just something so creepy about a flock of birds. The attack scenes are so intense with no music and certain scenes are so loud with quiet it's absolutely palpable.

6. Begotten

Creepy and disturbing beyond belief... I'm not really sure what's it about, but this is what IMDB writes: "This gory and entirely visual film tells the surreal tale of the death and rebirth of gods." The scariness pretty much just comes from the visuals and the creepiness. Last time I checked it's in Youtube, but I don't particularly recommend it unless you're really curious.

5. The Tunnel

This is an Australian mockumentary about homeless living in abandoned metro tunnels under Sydney and the government cover-up of them going missing. They end up going into the tunnels and you'll have to see the movie for the rest.. For some reason I find any kinds of tunnels creepy and the end of the mockumentary is quite intense. It's not very, highly recommend.

4. Grave Encounters

What can I say.. ghosts are a weak point for me. I was really scared of ghosts as a kid to the point where I saw ghosts in dark rooms through sheer imagination. This movie is what my nightmare would have been. It's about a ghost hunter TV show that goes to an abandoned mental hospital to spend a night there and places cameras throughout the building (cliched, I know..). Things start going strange.. The spook for me pretty much comes from the way the ghosts were made. It just brings back bad memories for me ..in kind of a good way.

3. The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Now this is an interesting one, since the movie has never been officially released in any way. The only way to see is to download it from the internet. Hundreds of tapes are found in an abandoned building in Poughkeepsie and they reveal a the works of a mass murderer. The movie shows the tapes while cutting back to the investigation. The horror factor in this movie comes from the absolutely disturbing tapes and like in the Sinister's case the fact that this is a true crime horror movie and feels like something that could actually happen. Almost as disturbing as Begotten..

2. The Visit

What a strong return from Shyamalan! It's about children who go and meet their grandparents for the first time, but they start seem very strange. The way the grandparents act is just so bone chillingly creepy, the nights are terrifying and the ending... pee my pants scary. Watch it!

1. Session 9

Not only was this the scariest horror movie for me, it is also my favorite horror movie of all time. In the movie a crew of asbestos cleaners go to an abandoned mental hospital to clean it. One of the guys finds a room with old audiotapes of psychotherapy sessions and he starts to listen to them one.. by.. one.. That's all I'll tell. You need to watch this movie! The tension is great, the setting is interesting and it's very minimalist. I just love it and love to be frightened by it.

So, if you're looking to watch these movies.. good luck! BUHAHAHAHAHAAA!

..oh and no cheating! Watch them alone, in a dark room with volume high..

Finally some honorable mentions:

The Shining
The Orphanage
The Others
Insidious
The Ring
What Lies Beneath
Signs
The Sixth Sense
Ils (Them)
V.H.S.
Haze
The Grudge
REC
1408
Open Water
As Above, So Below
Grave Encounters 2
It Follows
Creep 2014
Drag Me To Hell
The Descent
Panโ€™s Labyrinth
Alien
Below
Kill List
Clown
From Hell

May your bones be chilly..

Have a nice day... D:

11
15
11Girl Opinion
15Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Quintessence
    As an avid horror fan, I've seen all of these, except for a few of the honourable mentions and the number one on your Top 10 list (don't know how I missed that one!). So, Session 9 is now first on my list to watch. :D

Also, I noticed that you don't have Mirrors (2008) in your honourable mentions. I don't know if that's because you've watched it and disliked it, or because you haven't seen it. If it's the latter, then I'm going to recommend it to you.
    Is this still revelant?
    • just_tired

Watched, liked it, just didn't find that scary.. Which ones from the honorable mentions haven't you seen?

• Really? It's one of the few that actually disturbed me. That jaw-ripping scene was... well, I hadn't seen its like before.

I haven't seen Ils (Them), 1408, V. H. S., Kill List, Clown, or From Hell.

• just_tired

If your planning on watching them I'd go with V. H. S. and Ils first. The latter is loosely based on a true story.

Oh But you've seen Haze? Never met anyone before who've seen it or even heard of it :D

Most Helpful Guy

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1014
  • themetalhead
    a lot of those movies I've seen. I love them lol XD though for me, paranormal activity didn't bother me much. I think a scarier version of paranormal activity is summed up in this picture I have here haha
    i.pinimg.com/.../...oween-movies-twisted-humor.jpg
    • just_tired

Haha! Like I said, ghosts are my weak spot... :D

• Kkaos
    I wish I found those movies scary. I'm yet to find one that has actually scared me so it just leaves me feeling disappointed at the end of them. The only time I was ever kind of scared of a movie was the Amityville Horror, but I was like 8 at the time.

I think movies need to rely more on being realistic and creating an all round creepy experience. I prefer psychological thrillers for that reason, but yet to see one that really does it for me.
    • just_tired

Yeah definitely agree, shame you haven't found any of them scary yet..

• BrittBratt2416
    You lost me with paranormal activity and blair witch. But the grudge and the ring, those movies were legit. The ring actually scared the crap out of my dad, and i had the attic in my room when i watched that movie too... I was so freaked lol
    • just_tired

Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch worked when they were new and sort of unknown (at least for me), but there's a reason they're at the bottom of the list.

• I didn't know it was ranking, I thought it was just a list.

• Pinay_ako
    I am Horror fan. I have watched most of your list. But I haven't seen Begotten. I heard it's messed up. It looks scary as hell lol. I will not watch it at all. Asian Horrors are messed up too even French and other European movies.
    • just_tired

Yeah, no need to watch Begotten. It's a pointless "artsy" film. Asian horror movies are pretty scary.. I actually have a bucket list on them. Haven't gotten round to it yet. There's a couple of them in the honored mentions. The French ones... more disturbing and disgusting than scary, but pretty good none the less.

• Pinay_ako

But the Begotten gave me the creeps just watching the trailer. Are you talking about the Martyrs. Dude that is gross. lol And some others that I can't fathom why people would even bother making it in the first place. Just sick

• just_tired

Oh no.. well kind of, haven't watched the grosser ones like Martyrs, but that's kind of what I mean..

• InTimoreDei
    I've seen all of the movies on your list, since I am an avid horror fan. The only one that was a bit disturbing to me was "As Above, So Below". I'm not easily scared. I just watch horror for entertainment purposes and to feel "a little something".
    • just_tired

The Paris catacombs aren't utilized enough

• Jaximus-Lion
    I don't know ! Since i turned 17 i can't enjoy horror movies :( because my father taught me logic and apply it on movies. Last horror movie it frightened me was 1960 Psycho.
    • just_tired

For some reason, my logical side just shuts off when watching horror :D

• I wish i could do that... Long time ago me and my friends went to see SAW the first one in theaters, i was so confused and trying to get the Adrenalin rush from it like others but nope. The idea and the ending was brilliant but didn't get the scare. I do watch a lot of comedy where there is many jokes and punch-lines i like that but horror and action movies meh. Damn you dad

• jacquesvol
    One Nation under Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4niw4b-OcMc

Real Appalachian horror
  • PrincessPie
    nice list! :)
    I actually thought The Visit was really funny lol.
    • just_tired

I've heard that before.. It's interesting how differently we see movies, haha

• Yeah i guess it was just so crazy i couldn't take it seriously lol, but i did really enjoy it, it was a good movie i watched it on Sky about around 7months ago or so.

• just_tired

I think it's sometimes a thin line between funny and creepy/scary. I find a lot of scary movies just funny

• Zorax
    Great list of movies, but the one that scared me the most was The Thing. Why? Because it can look like anyone you know, and it can survive almost anything, one living cell is enough to absorb and copy other organisms.
  • ultimega
    I am weird that I found Paranormal Activity to be hilarious?

• just_tired

Not really :D there's a fine line

• ultimega

Its worse when your friends are commenating on certain scenes and end up in a fit on giggles.

I would say Jacobs Ladder is good one if you like psychological horror. Its where Silent Hill got some of there inspirations from ๐Ÿ˜Š

• just_tired

Yeah, I've actually seen it. It should at least be on the honorable mentions list.. forgot about it

• MarkRet
    I'm not really into horror films, but The Birds is one of my favorites. The Omen (the original, not the remake) is good too.
  • Uglyman1001
    If you're a MM fan he used some of his cover art of Begotten on his Antichrist Superstar album. And no Exorcists?
    • just_tired

Exorcists aren't scary to me.

• That movie scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it.

• just_tired

I actually fell asleep the first time I was watching it :D

• WiggleWasser
    The Exorcist doesn't even make the honorable mention list?
  • stillagoodgirl
    I've never seen any of those but I've heard of about half
  • WhereAmI
    If you like heven/hell themes at all, try Prince of Darkness by John Carpenter. Good list, by the way.
    • WhereAmI

So the movie "Hostel" wasn't scary at all?

• just_tired

Nah, it's just gory. I'll check the Prince of Darkness out.

• Pinay_ako

Nah man. That movie was like a serial killer/sadist dream come true.

• CrazyyChick
    SHIT, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME THESE MOVIES
  • bloodmountain1990
    You gotta watch Suspiria
  • BronzedAdonis
    pussy
  • Unknownooo
    Sinister was awesome!
  • zagor
    The Blair Witch Project didn't work for me.
  • Rosewanda
    The Blair Witch Project is scary.
  • CT_CD
    Interesting
  • Tohhru
    Interesting
  • Anonymous
    Seriously? 😳

I mean that's interesting and all but I was waiting something more inteiguing 😜

Wanna play?
    • just_tired

Are you kidding me.. so much pressure! What do you wanna read about?

.. and sure.. :$

• Anonymous

Aww okay...
      I didn't mean to disregard your writing :)
      I just wish I was brave enough to watch them at night alone 😱 Probably I won't sleep for weeks xD

Anyways... I dare you to make up a story about me and write next MyTake about it, deal? 😉

• just_tired

You get some kind of pleasure from torturing me, don't you?
      ...
      What kind of a story?