Female Roles in Hollywood and Why a Lack of Originality Is to Blame for Bad Reviews!

Cammy137

There appears to be a tendency in Hollywood (although arguably in the world as a whole) that when someone fails at something, it’s acceptable to blame white males for the failure. This MyTake isn’t about defending white males or arguing that they have a hard time or anything like that…but rather it’s going to discuss my own opinions surrounding the move that certain players in Hollywood have taken in the last few years (and presumably will continue to do).

So I stumbled upon a news article (1) whereby the stars of the recent Ocean’s 8 film, which is of course an all-female reboot of Ocean’s Eleven (2001) which was itself a reboot of an older movie starring Frank Sinatra (1960), “have accused male critics of failing to appreciate their film”. Mindy Kaling whose voice is the 2nd most annoying in the world (beaten only by Melissa McCarthy who we will discuss in a moment) said “If I had to base my career on what white men wanted I would be very unsuccessful” (ignoring that her first role was in the movie ’40 Year Old Virgin’, the story of a white males fully in-tact virginity) while her co-star Cate Blanchett apparently agreed, claiming that the media has failed to make the shift in mind set in terms of gender equality.

You may be familiar with this blame-game and blatant scape-goating as we experienced it in exactly the same manner after the flop of Ghostbusters (2016) which was also a remake of a movie. Before the movie’s release, the trailer was enough to send the internet into a tailspin over how dreadful it looked. Everything that we had all loved about Ghostbusters was torn at the seams and left to spill out. Upon its release the opinions remained about the same. The movie has an IMDB rating of 5.3 which in my opinion is generous! The Ghostbusters issue hasn’t even died down and Sandra Bullock, who is the lead role in Ocean’s 8. On the red carpet for the premiere she stated “That was unfair on a level that I can’t even not be mad about talking about,” (2) and went on to make the claim that because such gifted female comedians were in the lead roles, EVERY fan should have been excited to see the new movie. I’m going to take a stab in the dark here and suggest that Sandra Bullock is NOT a fan of the original Ghostbusters but is rather basing her opinion ENTIRELY on the fact that the 4 lead roles were female. To me, that sounds far more sexist than hating an awful film. In fact the top of that very same article opens with: “Paul Feig's 2016 "Ghostbusters" reboot angered fans of the 1984 original who felt women could not star in the lead roles of the franchise.” Ivan Reitman (director and producer of the original movie) summed up the entire situation perfectly: "I think there's way too much talk about gender…I think that many of the people who were complaining were actually lovers of the [original] movie, not haters of women." (3)

Of course what you may notice with both Ocean’s Eleven and the original Ghostbusters is that they feature predominantly white males. I mean 8 out of the 11 MEN in Ocean’s Eleven are white while 3 out of the 4 MEN in Ghostbusters are white. Maybe, just maybe, rather than simply taking an idea that included white males and switching it in for white females (while completely destroying whatever content made the originals entertaining) women in Hollywood should strive to take part in films that don’t have decades worth of nostalgia attached to them? I mean look at Annihilation: pretty much the entire cast of that movie was female and it was a great film. Where were all the white male critics during that? It currently has a score of 7 on IMDB which is higher than both Ocean’s 8 AND Ghostbusters. There are PLENTY of examples where films either with a majority-female cast or with a lead female character do exceptionally well. So I don’t understand why these films do well despite these apparent “white male critics” who are apparently sexist, racist and simply have it out for female-led movies.

I mean don’t get me wrong, obviously these sorts of people do exist in the world…but the idea that most viewers who go and see these movies simply aren’t enlightened or progressive enough to enjoy a movie with a female cast is absolute nonsense. I mean I could go through each of the careers of each of these women from Ocean’s 8 and highlight the sorts of movies that they’ve made their fame from. Most that pop to mind aren’t exactly pro-feminism. Maybe…just maybe…they’ve taken part in a film that doesn’t work and rather than jumping on the feminist bandwagon in order to stir up publicity for an unnecessary and lazy film, they should use their energy to create something new.

Perhaps the worst part about all of this is that blaming white men is acceptable. Why is it so wrong to say that a movie sucks? For the record, I haven’t seen Ocean’s 8 yet and so have no opinion of it. I hope it is great. I’m a huge fan of Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson, Helena Bonham Carter and many of the other stars of this movie and heist films can be incredibly entertaining. I’d love to see it and feel like I just watched a great movie…sadly I just don’t see that as being likely (judging from the trailer, the other cast members and its general reception). The Ocean’s movies were feeling pretty dried up by the end of the trilogy and there are only so many times you can watch the exact same sort of heist movie. Switching male characters for female characters doesn’t automatically make the film fresh, you’re basically just changing the skins of the characters and keeping everything else the same. Why is originality such as bad thing these days and why is critiquing a lack of creativity viewed as unacceptable?

I haven’t met a single person who watched the reboot of Ghostbusters and thought it was on par or better than the original. I haven’t met a single person who thought it came anywhere near the original. It was a straight up man-hating movie and I lost a bit of respect for the original cast for agreeing to take part in such a monstrosity. What makes this worst is that it gets labelled a pro-feminism movie. There becomes this sort of guilt mentality whereby if you don’t enjoy an awful film that just so happens to feature a female cast then you are branded anti-feminism.

Surely we can all agree that we're getting sick of prequels, sequels, reboots and remakes...right? I for one would much rather the industry focused a bit more on creating original content. This isn't something that is limited to solely female-led movies by any means. The superhero franchise is drained of all energy, Star Wars will be ruined in a couple of years, we have more Alien/Predator/Prometheus movies on the way...make better movies and you'll get better reviews, it's that simple. No film appeals to everyone and putting all your lead roles as female doesn't automatically make your movie worthy of positive attention!

1. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/15/oceans-8-dominance-men-film-reviews

2. http://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/sandra-bullock-ghostbusters-sexist-backlash-1201972206/

3. https://mashable.com/2016/06/30/ghostbusters-ivan-reitman-reboot-backlash/?europe=true

18
40
18Girl Opinion
40Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girls

• Pamina
    I would have to agree. Hollywood generally has a problem with originality. It's sequal after sequal, remake after remake, reboot after reboot, comic book adaptation after comic book adaptation, and so on.

I understand re-interpreting very old material and adapting it to new times. But there were two Spiderman franchises within just a few years, a Hulk reboot just 5 years after the first one.

Hollywood has become incredibly lazy, they're looking for cheapest and easiest ways to make profit. Turning cult franchises into female versions seems just like one of these ways.

But I fully support a shift to stronger female leads. Annihilation is a great example. Amazing movie.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Cammy137

I know, right? It's like there's just one writer in Hollywood who hates his job and is just copy and pasting older scripts with slightly new characters. The movie industry has become an absolute abomination.

• Pamina

But the good news is, there's a gigantic movie world apart from Hollywood that's thriving more and more.

• Pamina

Merci beaucoup.

• Elli_R
    Wow. This is a great take for sure.. not to mention all those little research and argument building. Nice!

R u in film studies class or something?
    Is this still revelant?
    • Cammy137

Just a bit of a film buff... although doing film studies probably would have made more sense than the degree I ended up doing haha

• Elli_R

Lol. Whats your degree anyway?

• Cammy137

Psychology but I probably spent most of the 4 years watching movies

Most Helpful Guys

• Guanfei
    You know very well that if a movie with a female cast fails, it's because of sexism and patriarchy.

Or... maybe because remaking successful movies with a shitty scenario just to replace men by women is a bad idea to begin with. Ghostbusters showed it, Ocean's 8 put another nail on the coffin.
    Maybe that's the only way for those idiots to understand that just replacing men by women doesn't make a good movie. Especially when the only reason is exactly to replace men by women, and not do a good movie.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Anonymous
    Can't agree with you more. SJWs, Hollywood actors/actresses, and directors need to cut their bullshit out with them pulling the race/racism and gender/sexist/misogyny card every time a critic or audience gives a bad review or valid/legit criticism towards a movie that happens to be predominantly or all female cast (of all races).

They need to stop blaming white males (and men in general) for their own shortcomings and need to learn how to own up to their fuck-ups/failures.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1638
  • A_Bell
    I hate when they make movies where they try to turn women into men. We aren't men and success for women shouldn't be defined as becoming a man.

But Hollywood is obsessed with the idea that strong women have to be men in a dress. I don't want to see that.
    • Cammy137

Exactly! There are an infinite number of potentially incredible roles for women so why force them into roles already occupied by men? It doesn't benefit anyone!

• RolandCuthbert
    I just think your whole post is funny and completely off base. Hollywood doesn't have a problem with being original when making female lead films.

Hollywood has a problem with originality. Period.

It has nothing to do with sex, race, creed, religion, or any of the above. Hollywood makes bad movies and remakes because it is the prime example of capitalism in this nation. The fact that you even suggest that Hollywood executives are not concerned about losing significant investments in a film is hilarious. No exec is going to risk millions to a movie just to have people say "oh that was an original flick". Hollywood execs want their money back and they want to get paid. So when there is a movie that is a huge success, we are always going to see a dozen look-alikes, sequels, prequels, until the grosses go down. If you want originality, stop watching major blockbusters and go to the Sundance film festival. Maybe you might see a film or two by some original directors/creators, etc.

• Cammy137

I'd completely agree with you but my argument was in relation to these women blaming "white male critics" for their poor movie reviews. That was the focus of my MyTake and is why I focused more on the relationship that this has with female-led movies and female roles in general.
      I also didn't once suggest that Hollywood executives are not concerned about losing significant investments, again, my entire argument surrounding this idea is in relation to the feedback from these actresses. My point is that their movies suck because people don't want to see remakes or reboots of the movie franchises they've selected.

• And who cares? Those "women" don't know that film critics have always been hypocritical. Even my favorites, Siskel and Ebert. They already knew or know the pressures that produce movies in Hollywood, yet they would critique films based on "originality" and creativity etc. As though most Hollywood exec know or care about those concerns.

If "women" are ignorant of that in their anger about film critics, etc. then inform them. I have not met a single woman that has said to me "did ya know this film critic, didn't like Ghostbusters"?

I have met many women who thought the remake was horrible, however. So go figure.

"My point is that their movies suck because people don't want to see remakes or reboots of the movie franchises they've selected. "

I am not sure of what you are saying here. Are you saying the films bombed? Or are you rendering some critique?

You do know that most people who go to films are totally unaware of your estimation of its artistic value, right?

• Cammy137

"If "women" are ignorant of that in their anger about film critics, etc. then inform them"
      That's sort of what I'm doing with this. I know a few women (one of whom actually sent me the Ocean's 8 article in the first place) who side with these women blindly and don't consider the very real possibility that many people didn't want to see another Ocean's movie, regardless of what sex took the lead roles.
      That's all I'm trying to do with this MyTake, brother. I'm not trying to change the world, I'm simply sharing my opinion on the matter.

• dandee55
    I do like some prequels, sequels, reboots, and even some remakes, but not most. It's a wonder they don't make a sequel of Titanic.
    I didn't see the 2016 Ghostbusters. For one thing, I don't like Leslie Jones. But when I first heard about it, I thought it was going to be a sequel or a remake, but as far as I can tell, the story has nothing to do with the original.
    • Cammy137

I don't think the people involved in it could decide if it was a sequel, reboot or what. The trailers referenced the original Ghostbusters but then the movie essentially exists in a new universe.

• LegateLanius
    Rather than taking old movies and making them again with a different cast to be "progressive" they should make a film similar while being a different franchise and such. This is one of many reasons that I refuse to watch the new ghost busters or ocean's 8.
    • Cammy137

Agreed! I mean why bother doing something that has already been done? Changing the sex of the characters doesn't make the movie any different. I think they believe the nostalgia will work in their favour but usually it does the opposite.

• The only thing it causes mainly is wasting money.

• LittleSally
    Oh yeah, I can totally agree that producers and writers are half-assing their roles on films with women being the main characters. Why that is - I can't say...
  • ThatPersonOverThere
    I watched GB but O8.

Aside from "Diversity for the sake of make genocide", there was a major flaw with it. The writers attempted to have the 4 main protagonists, Each play comic relief.

That and the very weird message they try to portray. That women have more to offer than just their looks (Which of course is true), but then they hire the guy solely on his looks.

It sends the same absurd message SJWs are known for..."When you do it, it's sexist and racist. When WE do it, it's fine."
  • JDavid25
    "The superhero franchise is drained of all energy" That is the only thing I couldn't agree wit.. The Superhero franchise is too broad and still goin strong and can always bring fresh takes to it I don't know why people act like there's dyin, it ain't goin nowhere.. LMAO.. But other than that I agree witchu that this is a case of just puttin a female spin on the movie.. Even a reviewer said that it's just like Ocean's 11 except wit a female cast.. They were so focused on makin a statement that they didn't account for a good plot, and story.. Good take!
    • Cammy137

As I said in another comment, I seriously hope that the superhero franchise doesn't go stale, it's by far my favourite genre and many of my favourite movies are superhero movies... but there's only so many times you can tell the same story over and over again and considering we're getting at least 5 superhero movies a year, if that rate keeps up then it will eventually drain. At least that's what I think, speaking as someone who loves the genre. I don't think it will ever stop making money though.

• JDavid25

Yeah, I see yo point, but at the same time I see the difference within the Superhero genre.. Like Captain America; The Winter Soldier was a political thriller wit great action, Ant-Man was a Heist movie sort of.. Batman V Superman was a "very" complicated political thriller, the first Deadpool was a Hitman movie, Spider-man: Homecoming was more of a coming of age tale wit a Superman spin to it, Black Panther was a social commentary, and Wonder Woman was a war movie.. I think if you look at it from the angle that there are genres within the superhero genre.. It should be all good..

• JDavid25

Superhero spin to it**..

• SpiderManFan2002
    I saw the cast on the Graham Norton show yesterday.

In my opinion, they are hyping this movie up way too much, but I'll watch it anyway.
  • rjroy3
    Honestly, by watching the trailers oceans 8 looks like it'll be a good movie. I haven't watched it yet though. I just hope they do their own thing and not try so hard like ghostbusters. I went into theaters wanting to like that movie and just couldn't.
  • Logorithim
    Seems to me that the underlying problem is a lack of creativity, or at least a willingness to experiment. Too cookie-cutter with recycling themes.
  • dolemite68
    They should do an all male version of Thelma and Louise with Cheech and Chong 😂😂
    • Cammy137

Let's get a kickstarter on the go! I'd definitely watch that movie. Maybe Mean Girls but have like Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill and the rest of that squad!

• Sarcastro
    Political Correctness has pushed many people to the point of complete apathy. Is the way I tie my shoes offensive to the women of Papau New Guinea? Whatever.
  • MrOracle
    I'm all for movies staring women - even in roles where women kick ass. But those movies should have SOME originality.

Look at, say, Milla Jovovich. She's carried a dozen movies in the lead role, and while not every one was great, no one had any issues with her being female and being the star - mostly because the movies were ORIGINAL and some of them were well-written (and some not so much).

Sandra Bullock has starred and carried movies. So has Cate Blanchett, etc. No one is complaining about that - hell, many are great movies!

But simply replacing men with women and retelling the same story is NOT a formula for success, and Hollywood needs to figure that out quickly.

It's not about men hating women, or hating women in male roles - it's about making LOUSY movies. We complain when men make lousy movies too, because NO ONE wants a lousy movie!
  • chc0009
    Why do I even care about this garbage? Hollywood's been nothing more than 99% bilge for years. Hell, the only thing I liked was John Wick.

But nothing else. Mostly romantic comedies and superhero flicks dominating. Which goes against my stern personality.
  • LionelMerelGlisem
    A interresting video about this in French:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX3LQ7enMeI
  • BrittBratt2416
    Hollywood has been remaking to many movies over and over like Holloween cause they are classics.
  • TripleAce
    Just like ghostbusters they ruined it lol
    Without brad and clooney its no point in even making it 😛
  • hellionthesagereborn
    I think its more then the lack of originality that is the issue, as you pointed out its not really about the story its about the gender (and in many cases the race) of the actors not their talent, not the writing, not the plot. That's why when Solo fell apart one writer had the audacity to claim that it failed because the lead was a white male, sexist and racist as hell and complete missed the point that the previous movies ignored all the things that made star wars enjoyable because they where to busy trying to shove their ideology and politics into everything instead of letting the story speak for itself.
  • lporter
    Maybe bad reviews come from bad movies? Just a thought
  • You_Cant_See_Me
    Women have embarrassed themselves. They’re starting to remind me of the younger sibling who cries to her mom about the older brother saying “but mommmmm, why does HE get to do so and so and I canttttt😣”. It’s ridiculous
  • KermitDaFuccboii
    It's most likely because feminism is having an identity crisis and hollywood is running out of good ideas.
  • Bananaman177
    I didn't even like the male version of Ocean's Eight or whatever. Didn't it used to be 12? I can't even remember.
    • Cammy137

Ocean's 11 was the original one and then the did a reboot called Ocean's Eleven followed by two sequels: Ocean's Twelve and Ocean's Thirteen. Ocean's 8 follows the sister (I believe) of one of the main characters from the trilogy who just happens to go through essentially the exact same process as her brother (it might not be brother but that seems to be what is coming to mind).

• Right, but there was also a Frank Sinatra version from the 60's. Out of all of them, that's the one I actually liked best, but I didn't think it was so great it needed two remakes and three sequels.

• Cammy137

Yeah that was Ocean's 11, the original I mentioned. I mean I loved all the films but I completely agree that a trilogy was completely unnecessary. Ocean's 8 certainly is!

• monkeynutts
    Hollywood barely is capable of creating an original idea. The need for making remakes has never ever occurred to me, Hollywood is not writing or making enough to new films.
  • SleepingSnorlax
    I hate how hollywood seems to have to replace men with women now just to be more 'politically correct' like im fine with star wars having the two women leads, i dont care. they were fun movies and its cool to see a female lead just like its cool to see male leads. but i hate when they take stuff and replace the men, like whats this i hear about 007 being a femal now... like what...

also while im here i have to say it, wonder woman annoys me how people act like she's the first strong woman in film... come lets be real there are other strong female leads way before her... ripley in alien and the bride in kill bill are two great examples.
    wonder woman was as good as the weaker mcu movies (which i still think are good movies)

ok im done
  • AmandaKoma
    I don't think that there is some gender problem. It's about getting new ideas. Hollywood thirsts for something fresh and bright.
    Saying about 2016 "Ghostbusters" reboot, I should admit that the first one is more interesting for me. The only handsome man is Chris Hemsworth.
    Do you know that he has three children - girl and twin boys? I found this on his page here https://compareceleb.com/367-chris-hemsworth.html and was really astonished!!
  • genericname85
    In Hollywood nothing is original anymore. Only stuff that has proven to bring profits in the past is repeated till infinity.
  • ovoxo_
    I agree that Ocean 8 is trash and all but I can't believe you said the superhero franchise is drained of all energy. Superhero movies will go on forever.
    • Cammy137

I mean don't get me wrong, I love superhero movies. It's probably my most watched genre. I just think that there are only so many times you can essentially watch the same story being told. I hope that it keeps going, I certainly wouldn't complain at all about great superhero movies continuing to be made forever.

• ovoxo_

I agree about the overused plots. I thinks it's because superhero movies are mainly targeted for children, so as long as you have new superhero the plot can be unoriginal and kids will love it. Just look at how many times they've remade the Spiderman movie. I think they'll probably continue to remake over and over again since kids love Spiderman and it makes so much money every time.

That's one of the good things about the superhero franchise though, people are more concerned with action and their favorite heroes doing cool shit rather than the actual story hence giving lee way on the plot.

• lonewolffootwork
    the movie fucking sucks i wasn't able to finish it i left the movie theater mid movie
  • clampfan101
    Movies in general are getting less creative, but ya.
  • Likes2drive
    Pretty good take, I saw Oceans 8 , wasn’t to bad but it is really just a reboot with a few twists
  • julovesleo
    you’re mad over nothing sorry
    • Cammy137

How so? I've clearly presented an issue that exists. As you can see from the comments literally every other person has agreed with me... maybe you just need to pull your head out the sand?

• Djaay

Another Australian feminist bitch !!

• Trevortank

@Djaay is it just me but there are too many australians who are feminist?

• CarpetDenim
    I agree.
  • Catholicgirl22
    Completely agree.
  • JimRSmith
    Well said, that lad.
  • COCOCHANEL
    coverup for a lack of creativity
  • ThisDudeHere
    Very, very well said.
  • RedRobin
    Nice take
  • BOUNTYGUY9
    its all dogs shit
    • BOUNTYGUY9

thanks its all bull shit to much money for nothing can't act lot of balls

• Savy03XO
    Well I watched it and it is actually a good movie
  • CT_CD
    Very intriguing myTake
  • Winterlady
    What a bunch of fools
  • LadySou
    humm.. deja vu
  • Anonymous
    Great take
  • Anonymous
    Any time social justice asshats push an agenda it will create shit.
    Movies like "Oceans vag8" and "Ghostbusters Vagina" will always be garbage because they are not creating movie storylines, they are simply pushing feminist propaganda under the guise of "a movie".

Imagine a remake of X done by KKK groups... it would be a mountain of shit because the group would worry more about its agenda than it's plotline. So anytime Malcomn X was powerful, they would twist it to make him look bad. In comparison the Ghostbuster story had to make all the women look like smart and independent women and therefore the storyline was written around that idea, not like a good movie would be written. In order to have a good movie, you have to allow some common tropes even if you don't like them. When your entire story circles around "girl power" instead of a good story, it's destined to fail.

Then you have feminist owned media pushing the "See the movie or you’re a chauvinist pig" as a means to try and guilt males into paying money to fund the garbage. This doesn't win anyone over.

And then even after the movie was released and was proven to be the diarrhea it was expected to be... feminist continued to blame men for its failure because taking responsibility for their actions or accepting negatives about women isn't something they can do, want to do, or have ever done. This also shows a pathetic lack of spine for the feminist pushed Hollywood. Which doesn't win it more fans.
  • Anonymous
    Great take, I agree
  • Anonymous
    While you thoughtfully (& correctly) suggest it's okay to dislike, even hate, a movie for simplynot being good, that is not the main reason why OTHER men are saying so. For instance, I went onto a YouTube video regarding the movie & most men were hating on it being an all-female cast and talking about how us women just wanna ruin movies to be equals, NOT the allegedly poor storyline only. Someone beautifully even described waiting for a movie where he can watch women being ripped open and gunned down in war before watching this "feminist" crap, if women want to be equal.

Your point for it being a movie that should be allowed to be criticised stands, i agree, but it ignores the fact that many men just dont wanna watch it because it's all-women (and they boldly say so themselves, in many colourful, creative & sometimes borderline-psychopathic ways).

It's no coincidence that the only lovers of the movie are women. Maybe there is a man who likes it, but i mean the majority of its lovers are women. (Not to be confused with saying it has majority of lovers, cause it seems to have a lot hate). Why? Cause let's face it, good or not, and all female-cast in an age of feminism is going to trigger a lot of men, vulgar language and "feminazi" comments. Much like how a lot of people boycotted Black Panther (although it was still a success as a marvel superhero movie) for being majority-black cast.

People are soooo sensitive about other races, sexes and sexualities that they will not want to watch it and WILL criticise it solely for that reason. Imagine an all-gay cast for a movie with many leads that ISN'T about being gay, but something like superheros or heists.
    What is it mainly going to be criticised for; the story or being all-gay? Obviously, the latter.
    • Anonymous

I'm not say it ain't a rubbish movie, I prefer Ocean's Eleven & Ocean's Thirteen mysel (i wasn't into Twelve). Just saying the large amount excessive hate is coming from hating the accused pc movie for feminists, & thats it. This DOES allow for people to in return find that sort of hate unacceptable.

• Anonymous
    I actually agree...
  • Anonymous
    interesting read.
  • Anonymous
    Okay
  • Anonymous
    I fully agree dude.