Stephen Reviews: "Cruella"

smahala1991
Stephen Reviews: Cruella

"Cruella DeVil, Cruella DeVil, If she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will". True words of an iconic Disney villain song. In "101 Dalmations" she is the most feared villain to ever (dis) grace Disney. In the spirit of Disney's current live-action adaptation and origin story craze, they remade Cruella into a Punk Rock rebel. How does this stand out to me? well. I'm about to explain some stuff. Don't worry: I'm not posting spoilers.

The movie is set in approximately 1974-1975 London with childhood snippets occurring in 1964-1965. Estelle/Cruella after becoming orphaned in a freak accident goes to London and befriends two thieves named Jasper and Horace. Cruella isn't like most people, she clearly marches to the beat of her own drum. She ends up working for her come-to-be nemesis, The Baroness (played by Emma Thompson) who is herself very narcissistic and evil.

The movie also has a huge soundtrack listing. Songs like Blondie's " One Way or Another", The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go", "Car Wash" by Rose Royce, "Come Together" By Ike and Tina Turner, and "Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen are a huge centerpiece of the film.

Both Emmas (Stone and Thompson) play their roles to perfection. The fashion in the outfits is very detailed and top-notch. However, the one thing I didn't really get is that I feel like it took too long. It has a runtime of 2 hours and 14 minutes. I feel like most good movies can tell their story in about 90 minutes. It also is kinda dark for a Disney film, but that's a good thing in my opinion.

I give "Cruella" an A-. It tells a great origin story of an orphaned girl who became an iconic fashion designer. There is also the moral that you need to be you and stand out no matter what others may think. The soundtrack is also straight bangin' with songs from The Rolling Stones, Ike and Tina Turner, Blondie, Queen, The Bee Gees, The Animals, The Zombies, and Nancy Sinatra to name a few.

For sure check this one out. I was impressed by how good it actually was. I was surprised Emma Stone could do a good British accent.

Stephen Reviews: "Cruella"
4
10
4Girl Opinion
10Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• Guffrus

A well written review.

I am surprised that you dislike longer films though. Personally i dont particularly care for films for that exact reason, they aren't long enough to for multidimensional characters with interesting character arcs so I much prefer box sets.

Take the Shawshank Redemption for example, widely considered to be one of the goats (greatest of all time) that has a run time of 142 mins.

I am of course not suggesting that a long film is a good film and perhaps there wasn't enough content in this particular film to keep you engaged but as i say i just find it strange that you would want a film to be short.

Like 4 People
    Is this still revelant?
  • Massageman

Looks like a mash-up of Harley Quinn and Cruella.
    A bit more sex-pot than evil, but this is the "new Disney", I guess.
    It's a period piece so they can get away with pre-existing songs.

Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girls

• Sawyerblu

I loved this movie! The soundtrack was amazing. Took my nieces to see it and both of them cried at different parts (not because they were scared!) so I think that’s a good sign, that it had the power to emotionally move an 8 and 5 year old. Definitely will be watching it again!

LikeDisagree 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
  • PaynefulPleasures

I preferred Glenn Close she did an amazing job, very good performance ✌️

Stephen Reviews: "Cruella"
    Is this still revelant?
    • Did you know even though Cruella deville's character is British, she has only been played by Americans

• Interesting fact I didn't know that, thank you for sharing this

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

28
  • DarkCarousel

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The soundtrack had me wanting to dance in my seat. Accents were impressive. Entertaining overall. I'd recommend it.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Curmudgeon

It reminds me of "Maleficent", another Disney film where we get backstory about a perceived villainess.

Reply
  • princeofromance

I will have to check it out. Thanks for the review.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Joshua0213

Me and my girl are going to watch this tomorrow night so haven't seen it yet

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • zagor

At least it's not a live-action direct remake of a classic Disney animation. I think those are the stupidest money-grubbing schemes in the movie biz.

Reply
  • scott04sa22
    Stephen Reviews: "Cruella"
    Reply
  • NightHawk99

"If she doesn't scare you, no villain will."

Me: *PTSD from Wolfenstein 2 and Resident Evil 8*

Reply
  • Jamie05rhs

2 hours and 14 minutes? Damn! I agree with you, man. That's way too long.

Reply
  • Cloe18

It’s movie is great!
    Love the clothes!!

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • JesseJayNeak

It's just Disney trying to redeem the irredeemable

Reply