myReview 1 mo

Asian Parenting, what's the deal?

Helloo G@G-ers! It's me again and I'm finally back with an interesting topic I've been wanting to share with all of you~

Asian parents, what's the deal with them? Maybe they're just overprotective, maybe they're just strict, maybe they just want their kids to excel in EVERYTHING?

Asian Parenting, what's the deal?

They want what's best for their kids. Regardless of what their kid's ambitions are. They say you need to be a doctor, you cannot say NO. Bahahahahahah 💀💀

Asian Parenting, what's the deal?

Discipline always comes first. All the canings and smacking and slapping, for what? Discipline, G@G-ers, discipline. It's one of the most important thing an Asian parent wants in their kid. To say "Hi Uncle/Aunty" to everyone and expecting them to stay quiet the entire time (No Loud Noises Or U Die!) 😂😂😂

Asian Parenting, what's the deal?

Summertime? More like study-time! Summer's here! Time for..... study? AWW Mannnn.... They don't see summer as a time for fun, but a time to catch up on ur studies for the A-class peeps. 💯 💯 💯

Does Asian parenting works? Yes It does. I've seen it. They grow up into extremely disciplined, respectful and talented people. Is it worth it though? Comment below! 👀

"Action speaks louder than words"
Asian Parenting, what's the deal?
5
3

Most Helpful Guy

• dantetheexplorer
    This is just my opinion, so it might not - and most likely does not - hold true for every Asian family in the world.
    Perhaps, it only applies to my own East Asian family.
    Perhaps.

I've always held the view that my parents wanted to hardwire important lessons into me and my sister very early on in our lives.

For example, I can tell you that my parents instilled frugality in me at a tender age.
    As kids, we didn’t have much in the way of toys.
    But my parents would bring me to the library every other weekend, so that we could have something more valuable than toys: books.
    Loads and loads of books, more books than we could ever hope to read in a fortnight.

We seldom went out to eat, even though we could afford to.
    My parents taught me and my sister how to cook.
    We didn’t eat junk food or fast food; my parents told us that eating these foods will only end up costing us more in the long run.
    I think we were given ice-cream twice a year.

My parents still use the same wok they used when I was a kid.
    They even still have the same chopping boards - those huge, round wooden blocky ones, the ones you can use a cleaver on.
    I estimate the wok and the chopping boards to be slightly older than I am.

We got a set of clothes on our birthdays and another set during the Lunar New Year.
    That was it. None of the clothes were branded. No GAP, no Armani, no CK. Just regular, durable clothes that could take a pounding or two.
    The only other time you’d get new clothes is if your underwear starts getting holes.
    In that case, you MUST throw it away, because hole-y underwear (not to be confused with holy underwear) brings bad luck.
    Same thing with shoes - you wear them until you start seeing holes.

Basically, as a kid, you spent most of your time in school, studying.
    If you weren't studying at school, then you’re at private or group after-school tuition classes, where you probably spend more time studying compared to the hours you put in at school.
    There was no time for anything else - which also meant you didn’t have time to spend whatever meager allowance you were given.
    I remember falling asleep a few times in those after-school tuition classes.
    The tutor would always nudge me awake and make some small joke about my low energy levels, much to the amusement of my peers.
    I would look at my watch and see that the time was 11.30 pm, and think "Oh, good. Half an hour more to go. Then I can go home and sleep."

As for “treats” - well, what do you think the piano and violin classes are?
    You might not be musically inclined or have much musical talent - but by golly gee, unless you actually put your all into it, how would you ever know?

If you get good grades, you might be rewarded with a trip to the cinema.
    Maybe once every 3–4 years, you could have a family trip to another city.
    You never buy souvenirs, because your parents would tell you “That’s a waste of money! We’re not tourists! Put that back!”

Lather, rinse, repeat for about 18–22 years before you fly the coop, leave the nest, head off into the great wilderness in search of adventure.

But even as you leave the halcyon days of your youth behind, even if you end up not living with Dad or Mom, you will always hear those words in your head.

“Don’t waste money.”
    “Spend below your means.”
    “Save and save and save for your future.”
    "Study hard. Work hard. No one will help you - you have to depend on yourself."
    “And remember, son, please, please don’t wear hole-y underwear.”
    Is this still revelant?
    • Yes, I agree, although that does makes u really independent n wise in money spending

• Thank you for the MHO.

• HOAAH

I am east as well... but my parents were a bit different. I am intrigued by your upbringing m

Most Helpful Girl

• DeeDeeDeVour
    I have a Filipina mother & a white American military dad. Imagine how that might be. Fortunately, they were very supportive & affectionate besides being very strict controlling. So, no regrets. They're also fortune that we were good children at home or in their presence despite all the chaos we usually cause outside of home.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

24
  • Guffrus
    Omg you're suchj a racist.

This is nothing to do with being Asian, all bad drivers try to over compensate through the achievements of their kids.

Duh!
    • I can't be racist because I used to live with Asian and I'm also one of them. But I respect when you're coming from

• Guffrus

I think you might have missed that this was a joke.

I said, 'all bad drivers' which is racist sterotype of Asians.

• Oops my bad 😅

• Curmudgeon
    Growing up among the Asian persuasion, I was always amazed their suicide rates were not higher. That said, my old folks of an "American Gothic" background actually admired that "stick to it" ethos, and I did too.

This reminds me of another question of how your parents felt about dating or marrying someone of another race. When it came to the Asian persuasion, my folks were all for it:
  • RichardM_Downs
    You ain't got to tell me nothing I got a full grown Korean momma and she love hard but she means well with that overprotective crap and some people wish they had someone who gave a damn like that and also when she gone u will wish u had her nagging you again #mic drop
  • NerdInDenial
    So, interestingly enough, my parents never pushed me to do well; I did well in school because of the praise from others. My crave for external validation drove me to excel.
  • NEW_YUKI
    😂😂😂🤣
  • Anonymous
    Aren’t the suicide rates higher in these Asian places because of things like this?