i don't even know why my hair puts up with me. I spent 7 years using heat on it and 5 years dyeing it. Most of those years overlap. At this point I am still surprised I still have hair on my head. I stopped using chemical hair dye when I was 17. I stopped using heat every day when I was 18. Currently I am not using heat for more than four days a week but I am trying to get down to no more than two days a week. Hopefully that number will be 0. In the picture below, that of course is not me, but it is an accurate representation of what curls look like. I spent so many years straightening it that I am surprised my curls didn't deflate or something.
Every time I wear my hair naturally, and someone says I wish I had curly hair, I just say thanks but I am usually thinking of what I had to go through that morning to get it that way. My hair takes either five minutes or it takes a half hour. There really isn't any in between. And it's always the same routine but a different result. For anyone who has curly hair and is trying to go natural all the time, here are my best tips.
My Best Tips:
1. Take biotin every day, which you should do no matter what hair type you have.
2. A diffuser is the holy grail for naturally curly hair, just use it correctly.
3. Condition more and shampoo less
4. Never use a hair brush, use a wide tooth comb or your fingers.
5. I spent a good 45 mins in Walmart trying to find a hair product that didn't have sulfate or other fake crap in it. This is what I found and it is probably the best product I have tried for my hair.
6. Don't wash you hair every day, instead wash depending on your curl type. Loose curls 2-3 times a week, tight curls 1-2 times a week, and kinky curls 1 time a week.
7. Massage olive oil, coconut oil, and honey into hair. Do this twice a week.
8. Use a t-shirt to dry your hair not a towel.
9. Good hair mask for every type: 1 egg yolk, 2 tbsp coconut oil, and 1 tbsp honey.
10. Good DIY shampoo: 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup Castile soap base, 1 tbsp jojoba oil, and 1/2 vitamin E oil.
Because people are idiots: not once did I say that curly hair is superior to straight hair. I am planning on doing a take for straight hair, so before you comment that I think my curly hair is superior to those with straight hair, just don't.